Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally, a use for a banjo

Default Finally, a use for a banjo

Default Re: Finally, a use for a banjo

I don't in any way condone vandalism and I'm thinking he'll have to pay for the repairs ... but i do see he was charged with assault with a weapon, which may be a new definition of "killer banjo" ...
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Not the first time. Those things can be dangerous. Here's one. The links no longer works but Scott was kind enough to describe what happened. Here's another. This guy actually killed somebody with one. Another from my hometown TV station. Makes me want to move home. I think there are more.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

He is in a serious bad JAM now! He didn't look very happy sure hope he didn't give the bull a FLATHEAD! Maybe he was too long BUSKING in the sun! Ok I'll stop now-Yeah corny but couldn't help it.

===========

>> Kevin Cevon Varlack, 42, of Dallas, was charged with criminal mischief, criminal possession of a weapon and disorderly conduct. <<

Was he charged with all of these things because he attacked the bull, or simply because he carried a bajo in public?

This is proof that there needs to be better background checks on banjo sales. Open carry banjo is actually more dangerous than concealed banjos. But there should be a limit to the number of strings that can be strung up at any given time. Silencers, on the other hand, should be legalized. The majority of banjo deaths are self inflicted. But a growing number are caused by the sound man. If you outlaw banjos, only criminals will play banjos. Finally, music doesn't cause migraines, banjos do.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    I don't in any way condone vandalism and I'm thinking he'll have to pay for the repairs.
    The authorities probably assume that there is no way a banjo player can afford to pay for the repairs to that bull?

So, his buddy says, "You coundn't hit a bull in the a** with a banjo." And he says, "Hold my beer."
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roger Adams For This Useful Post:

Well, I’m with you guys on this one, vandalism? -you damage something, you pay for it.

(I mean, I was pretty upset when the atmosphere of planet Earth got itself vandalised.
    Ha, ha. And remember all those scientists in the ‘80’s who were paid (by we-know-who) to keep quiet about it?)

And I was thinking about all those banjo jokes, wondering why, if banjos are so bad , then why does everyone want a banjo player in their band?
    -and then this happens. That’s why!

So judging by the newspapers it’s right that ‘Crazy’ Kevin has got to pay for the scratch that he did, and it’s right that he wont be seeing the forests for a while. But what about the poor banjo? They are awesome instruments after all.
    Does anyone have a link to crowd funding or an auction of the actual banjo itself?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FE7197FB-1684-4547-BF0D-1AC1405AE432.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	179602

Quote Originally Posted by atsunrise View Post
    Well, I’m with you guys on this one, vandalism? -you damage something, you pay for it.

(I mean, I was pretty upset when the atmosphere of planet Earth got itself vandalised.
    Ha, ha. And remember all those scientists in the ‘80’s who were paid (by we-know-who) to keep quiet about it?)

And I was thinking about all those banjo jokes, wondering why, if banjos are so bad , then why does everyone want a banjo player in their band?
    -and then this happens. That’s why!

So judging by the newspapers it’s right that ‘Crazy’ Kevin has got to pay for the scratch that he did, and it’s right that he wont be seeing the forests for a while. But what about the poor banjo? They are awesome instruments after all.
    Does anyone have a link to crowd funding or an auction of the actual banjo itself?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FE7197FB-1684-4547-BF0D-1AC1405AE432.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	179602
    Many of us have banjos. No real disdain for the instrument. They're fun ! This is just a good old fasion intra family ribbing. But they are loud instruments. Adding a sucky mando player to the band doesnt hurt much. And if youre thru a PA you can just turn his volume down and no one really hears much anyway. Adding a sucky banjo to the band cant go un noticed. Even unplugging them will still be loud enough to throw everyone else off. And everyone sucks at first. So I think this is where the ribbing comes from. Its just harder to hide. Tastefully played banjo is as unique and beautiful as any other tastefully played instrument (bagpipes being an exception )
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

you guys just kill me. but please don't use a banjo, there heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybp30 View Post
    It's not all bad... there is now one less banjo in the world!

Serious question: did this man come all this way from Dallas to whack that bull with a banjo? Nutty yes, but very committed

I admit to owning a banjo but I keep it locked in its case and the strings are hidden in a separate location.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudmister For This Useful Post:

I've lived in NYC for a long while - and I've never liked that statue, or the way it was 'installed'. But I still find the idea of a serious attack on a piece of art by a probably clinically insane person takes some of the delight out of what would otherwise be a funny banjo-joke. There. I'm the downer guy this morning...

(on an unrelated positive note... how 'bout that Orange Blossom Special by Marty Stuart on the Ryman show kicking off the PBS series Country Music... I'm not ALL downer...)
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

18. The following members say thank you to BradKlein for this post:

Sorry, I can’t help asking.

With a statue, what was that guy’s beef?
    Seriously I’d like to know, why the cow?

A separate article said that he was released WITHOUT bail. So I assume he just heads home with a mangled banjo

===========

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    This is proof that there needs to be better background checks on banjo sales. Open carry banjo is actually more dangerous than concealed banjos. But there should be a limit to the number of strings that can be strung up at any given time. Silencers, on the other hand, should be legalized. The majority of banjo deaths are self inflicted. But a growing number are caused by the sound man. If you outlaw banjos, only criminals will play banjos.
    Yes, I am all for keeping banjos out of the hands of both dangerous hillbilly-wanna-be's, and folks who have strong ties to pro-Deliverance groups . . . but if we let the authorities begin to infringe on banjo rights, how long will it be long before they start going after much more harmless banjolins?

22. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    Yes, I am all for keeping banjos out of the hands of both dangerous hillbilly-wanna-be's, and folks who have strong ties to pro-Deliverance groups . . . but if we let the authorities begin to infringe on banjo rights, how long will it be long before they start going after much more harmless banjolins?
    There is nothing harmless about a banjolin! Everything people might not like about banjos is made even worse by the high pitch and even shorter sustain. They're awful little things. If they were all rounded up and disposed of, the world would be a better place.
    /s

(I had one in the house for a while, baby-sitting it for a friend. Never could stand the sound of the blasted thing, and I'm okay with the sound of a well-played tenor banjo)

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Someone may come up with a similar idea for Frankfurt Stock Exchange - I always wondered why there is a
    cow and a pig...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

25. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

I thought it was okay to arrest the guy for harming a banjo by banging it on a metal statue.

Of course I do not condone violence and vandalism. But I found this thought more apropriate than taking it out on a metal bull. But that was before I read that the guy had "built/fabricated" a metal banjo (impression) with which he tried to decapitate the bull. Read it on bluegrasstoday here: https://bluegrasstoday.com/iconic-wa...-wielding-man/

That bears a totally different question: Why on earth do you "fabricate" a metal banjo (fake) in order to bang it on a metal bull? Rage against the banjo... rage against animals... rage against metal... rage against capitalism... rage against noise...
    Olaf

27. The following members say thank you to grassrootphilosopher for this post:

Now a Sharpie, OTOH, can move hurricanes..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

29. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    Someone may come up with a similar idea for Frankfurt Stock Exchange - I always wondered why there is a
    cow and a pig...
    So this is in Frankfurt?
    Take a look at the photo. That cow looks worried.
    And notice that just behind the hog there’s a shop.
    Take a closer look.

Yup, that shop sells banjos!

-cow says to the hog, ‘guy, let’s get out of here!’

[QUOTE=Bertram Henze;1734069]Someone may come up with a similar idea for Frankfurt Stock Exchange - I always wondered why there is a
    cow and a pig...

If you ever decide to take up farming, before purchasing livestock, get advice from an experienced farmer. You wouldn't get much milk from a "cow" with those anatomical features, and as for the pig....
    Last edited by Ranald; Sep-09-2019 at 2:02pm. Reason: removing picture in quote
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

I admit to owning a banjo but I keep it locked in its case and the strings are hidden in a separate location.
    You are allowed to keep one string in your shirt pocket.

Blog Entries

Lets tread carefully here with the political nature of this incident and the replies.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +