Thread: Soares'y Electric Tenor

Default Soares'y Electric Tenor

Anyone have experience with Soares'y Electric Tenor guitars? Their quality? Tone? Sound? Any issues? pulling the trigger on one here soon. I believe from my research that they are a better choice than the Eastwood Alternatives. I had a lot of issues with my Eastwood Guitar over the time I had acquired one. it seems this guy knows what hes doin, and uses a lot of US made parts for the guitar (except some of the electronics). I've seen pics and talked to him and it seems like an overall better way to go. Now I know Fender is coming out with their tenor soon, but the date keeps getting pushed back and that is definitely not a sure thing. While i'm also in need of a Tenor right away

Default Re: Soares'y Electric Tenor

I've never played one of the tenors but I find them aesthetically unappealing. I had a Soares'y electric mandocello once and it was a low-quality budget instrument, but I suppose it functioned well enough. I have a hard time believing they are better than Eastwoods ... but the Eastwood tenors I've owned were built for GDAE tuning and had wider string spacing than I am used to, so I didn't hang on to them.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

His strength appears to be in that he makes his own necks which he applies to various and sundry bodies such as the Squier Mini I'm guessing he scrounges on the used market. I've not tried one of his so I can't say for sure but think it will come down to whether or not you like his neck profiles. He doesn't modify the bodies so the slimmer neck heals tend to look odd against the full size neck route.

He did marry one of his necks to an old Teisco body that I quite liked the looks of, but it was sold before I could consider it seriously. I've had a few email conversations and found him a bit "funny" (not in a ha-ha way) and some of his statements were questionable.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    His strength appears to be in that he makes his own necks which he applies to various and sundry bodies such as the Squier Mini I'm guessing he scrounges on the used market. I've not tried one of his so I can't say for sure but think it will come down to whether or not you like his neck profiles. He doesn't modify the bodies so the slimmer neck heals tend to look odd against the full size neck route.

He did marry one of his necks to an old Teisco body that I quite liked the looks of, but it was sold before I could consider it seriously. I've had a few email conversations and found him a bit "funny" (not in a ha-ha way) and some of his statements were questionable.
    You're right. He mentioned in detail his work with the neck. Seemed like something he was proud of. He also stated that although in the past he was using full size bodies for these necks he reduced the body size to about 3/4s of earlier models. for instance there's one older stratocaster soares'y model up on reverb right now and you can tell the body is a little out of proportion but not so bad. Also after reviewing some threads/posts/sales on various websites across an almost 10-12 year period it seems that hes decided to upgrade the quality of some of his parts, including the electronics. It's also been reflected in his prices.

I get what you're saying with finding him "funny". Sometimes it seems english may be a second language, but it just could be the way he types.

When it comes down to it, i'm taking a risk for sure. I don't think I can go too wrong here, unless im just completely and utterly misguided in my attempt to find something other than an Eastwood. I think Eastwood is a fine manufacturer of Electric tenor's, however, their "cream of the crop" model is the Warren Ellis 2p, its one of the only tenor's made in their Korean factory as opposed to their chinese factory, and according to one of their reps its their best quality tenor and best seller. Despite that fact, i'm just not 'wow'ed by it. The wider spacing is awkward at times and i had some minor wear and tear issues accompanied with some issues with the sound when it was plugged in... Maybe it was a lemon, I dunno, but right now i'm just looking elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53eEXwnnOyo

Here's the link to the recently made tenor strat. Seems legit. My only concern being the fact that he doesn't really mention what type of pickups he used, it was hard getting a straight answer from him about that, I assume its one humbucker, one single coil, and somethin else.. hah.. and the im not sure what type of wood is being used for the fretboard. I wonder what this new sustainable rosewood replacement is?

Either way I think i'll be happy, can't be too sure what it sounds like from the video but the tone and overall sound and sustain seems decent.

That tenor strat looks much better than the conversions he used to do. I looked at his tenor guitars before I bought my Warren Ellis 2P but it was very obvious that they were converted 6 string guitars. The tenor strat in the video is not an obvious conversion with the four pole pickups, etc. He's definitely improved his product significantly.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

Harley Marty

Quote Originally Posted by EJMUSIC View Post
    Anyone have experience with Soares'y Electric Tenor guitars? Their quality? Tone? Sound? Any issues? pulling the trigger on one here soon. I believe from my research that they are a better choice than the Eastwood Alternatives. I had a lot of issues with my Eastwood Guitar over the time I had acquired one. it seems this guy knows what hes doin, and uses a lot of US made parts for the guitar (except some of the electronics). I've seen pics and talked to him and it seems like an overall better way to go. Now I know Fender is coming out with their tenor soon, but the date keeps getting pushed back and that is definitely not a sure thing. While i'm also in need of a Tenor right away
    This my not be helpful for you but I have a Soares'y Tenor resonator guitar (no pickup). It is a good quality instrument! I sent it up to Emerald guitars for them to copy the neck profile on my carbon Tenor build.

I get what you're saying with finding him "funny". Sometimes it seems english may be a second language, but it just could be the way he types.
    I believe his first language is Portuguese. There's a special place for him in keeping the tenor world alive and some of his creations are pretty neat. I'm specifically after a 21" neck which he doesn't accommodate which is the main reason he's off my list.

I think Eastwood is a fine manufacturer of Electric tenor's, however, their "cream of the crop" model is the Warren Ellis 2p, its one of the only tenor's made in their Korean factory as opposed to their chinese factory, and according to one of their reps its their best quality tenor and best seller.
    Curious. The original WE were made in Korea but AFAIK they moved those to China as well. The original Koreans had a headstock with 3 machines on one side and 1 on the other. The Chinese builds moved to 4 in a line similar to a Fender Strat.

Original Korean builds:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eastwood-guitars-warren-ellis-signature-tenor-186023.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	179595

Chinese builds:

Name:	268625-c561df851e6f1b0a7a26d1117da5f8d9.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	179596

I did like the WE 2P when it had 2 mini-humbuckers and a trem but they've discontinued that model for some reason.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

9. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post

I did like the WE 2P when it had 2 mini-humbuckers and a trem but they've discontinued that model for some reason.
    I got one of the last Warren Ellis 2Ps with the 2 mini-humbuckers (no trem, made in Korea). It is a great sounding guitar. I always receive complements on my tone when I play it. I'm not sure why they stopped building it.

Name:	Eastwood Tenor Guitar.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	179597
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

11. The following members say thank you to Chip Stewart for this post:

That's interesting that the WE had a previous build like that. Sounds neat... Actually sounds more interesting than the current model

Either way, i'm happy with my choice to go with Soares, from various emails back and forth, and the aforementioned video, I think he's really trying to make a quality instrument here. I won't know until I try it for myself but I have a feeling I wont be disappointed. I will update here after I receive the guitar. Maybe even make a video to help folks with similar questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Marty View Post
    This my not be helpful for you but I have a Soares'y Tenor resonator guitar (no pickup). It is a good quality instrument! I sent it up to Emerald guitars for them to copy the neck profile on my carbon Tenor build.
    Wait... what?

I've been considering getting a carbon cittern from them, based on the Amicus. I look forward to seeing your build on their site.

Sorry for the OT, folks!

So I got it in the mail. Haven't had a chance to play it yet, seeing as as I had to replace my amp as well, and thats in the mail.

But overall it seems like it did in the video. A decent build. nothing extraordinary, but probably worth the money. You can definitely tell its hand-made. Some "rough around the edges" stuff goin on. Specifically the pickguard, it aint perfect. It can be replaced if i want to. Although where in the world would you find a custom made pickguard for these exact dimensions?

Either way, ill update on the sound.

https://imgur.com/DpOlp6K

This is what the pickups look like. They are apparently 6 string pickups. Im probably going to replace them. I have no idea with what though. Any suggestions?

... Although where in the world would you find a custom made pickguard for these exact dimensions?
    That's kind of why you would have it custom made. Most good luthiers can make a pickguard no matter what the shape or dimension. If you can order it off the shelf it really isn't custom made.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

So I got it in the mail. Haven't had a chance to play it yet, seeing as as I had to replace my amp as well, and thats in the mail.

But overall it seems like it did in the video. A decent build. nothing extraordinary, but probably worth the money. You can definitely tell its hand-made. Some "rough around the edges" stuff goin on. Specifically the pickguard, it aint perfect. It can be replaced if i want to. Although where in the world would you find a custom made pickguard for these exact dimensions?

Either way, ill update on the sound.
    Do you have an update on the sound?

I know you said your amp was in the mail

I see the guitar is up for sale already; let us know how it sounds please.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I recently got a Strat with three single-coils from him, and it works fine for what I do with it. I have settled into keeping it switched to the middle pickup.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post: