Thread: Ibanez AVN1 in Chicago tuning?

Default Ibanez AVN1 in Chicago tuning?

Has anyone tried the Ibanez AVN1 tenor in DGBE and what did you think? As well, if you did, what guage strings did you go with?

Default Re: Ibanez AVN1 in Chicago tuning?

I use the top four strings from John Pearse 650LM Bluegrass strings ( https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/joh...ass-12-56.html ) for Chicago tuning on my Blueridge BR-60T. I tried many different string manufacturers and gauges and these give me the best tone by far.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Stewart View Post
    I use the top four strings from John Pearse 650LM Bluegrass strings ( https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/joh...ass-12-56.html ) for Chicago tuning on my Blueridge BR-60T. I tried many different string manufacturers and gauges and these give me the best tone by far.
    Thanks Chip, I will do that. I flubbed and ordered the wrong case for my Ibanez so when I get the right case for it, I will take it in for a set-up and try 12's and report back.

I tried it in a semi-local music shop.

It was O.K.

Couldn't quite get the tone I wanted out of it. It's not horrible. For the price, it's a good entry level instrument. But for just a few hundred dollars more...

I went for a blueridge BR-40T, and the quality was significantly better. Its also tuned chicago style. Great playability.

However, it is around twice the price, so there's that.

When it comes to strings. It depends what you want. You're play style. What type of tension you're looking for. If you're used to nylon or ukulele. etc..

I like low tension it gives me more dynamic possibilities. Its not as robust, or loud. But the difference is diminutive.

I've played around with several varieties of guitar strings until I came upon two sets that I really love, and have never looked back since.

1. Thomastik Infeld Plectrum strings. They're more expensive but completely worth it. Great tone. An exceptional kind of malleability, really great for high dexterity playing. And they're loud too. Best strings I've ever played (acoustic)

2. 2nd to thomastiks but a real close finish is Newtone Heritage Strings. These come in a really close second to thomastiks. Sometimes i even prefer them. Again, very flexible, superb tone, doesn't sacrifice anything.

Now you can go ahead and buy yourself something like D'addario's or Martin Strings, or whatevers "hip" nowadays, but im telling you these two sets really take the cake.

silk and steel D and G and Thomastik-Infeld 16 and 24 gauge for the E and B...though to beat
    Pono Bn4-1/Bn8-1 4&8 string. lattice braced tenor guitars
    Republic Hwy49 resonator tenor guitar/Regal(Harmony) tenor guitar
    Kerry Char baritone uke/Heritage baritone uke
    Kamaka baritone uke/Martin baritone uke
    Primrose baritone uke/Kelali baritone uke
    Harmony baritone uke/Burke baritone uke
    Hoyt custom 10" baritone banjo/ukulele
    Ode/Hoyt custom 11" model 33, 19 fret tenor banjo