Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tonegards

Default Tonegards

I remember when tongards appeared on the scene. Do many of you still use them? Over the years have you had any negative issues with the item? I’ve noticed since I have been sitting more that there is a nice increase in my sound when I sit and the instrument isn’t resting on my belly. Obviously now I can’t help but wonder if I shouldn’t get one.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tonegards

They work and sure are worth it! No finish problems or warping etc..it does get the mando off your gut and out.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

On most of mine it has made a positive difference. The only instrument where it didn't help has a plywood back.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

It may help depending on how you hold your mandolin. I found no difference in sound nor did the several people I played in front of. I wrapped the prongs that contact the mandolin with micro fiber material and this eliminated any marks on my mandolin at that time of usage. Only way to know is to try one ! Not for me however !

They work, I've used them for years. I leave it on my F5G all the time, no finish issues. I've had this mandolin since 2005.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

7. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

9. The following members say thank you to Frankdolin for this post:

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

The 'Gard is great. I have older ones, but appreciate the materials have changed over time in response to user experience.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Greenspoon View Post
    The 'Gard is great. I have older ones, but appreciate the materials have changed over time in response to user experience.
    Haven't used one for probably 7 or 8 years. What are the upgrades since then ?

I know this has been covered before and I have read a lot of those threads. I was curious about how it has worked out over time on the instrument. I can hear a difference between the instrument next to me or held out while sitting when standing not as much and I'm not sure the people in front of my notice it much at all. On the fence and just not sure it is worth putting any money into.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Haven't used one for probably 7 or 8 years. What are the upgrades since then ?
    He changed the material of the rubber tubing to a clear. I think some people were having issues with the black before.

All I know is that Tony is staying plenty busy. I emailed him recently about a mandola Gard and he is swamped right now. Good for him!
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    I know this has been covered before and I have read a lot of those threads. I was curious about how it has worked out over time on the instrument. I can hear a difference between the instrument next to me or held out while sitting when standing not as much and I'm not sure the people in front of my notice it much at all. On the fence and just not sure it is worth putting any money into.
    Two issues to consider:
    Do you stand while playing? (easy for the back of instrument to b against your abdomen) If so, the Tonegard will likely be useful.

If you play while sitting, do you hold the back of the instrument against your abdomen? If so, the Tonegard will likely be useful.

Otherwise .................
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phil Goodson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Two issues to consider:
    Do you stand while playing? (easy for the back of instrument to b against your abdomen) If so, the Tonegard will likely be useful.

If you play while sitting, do you hold the back of the instrument against your abdomen? If so, the Tonegard will likely be useful.

Otherwise .................
    I do both but mostly sitting. I hear the difference on the belly or not but the family doesn't sitting across from me. Standing I hear a different ebut less so. I heard it more when I never used a strap. Now that I made a strap I just twist it out a bit to free up the back but can bring it back in when I want to with this on the back I perceive I won't have the option of doing so but mostly I don't know if it is an actual improvement on the tone, on or off the belly is different but to me one isn't really better then the other just different. I'm going to experiment with my playing a bit and see what happens this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    He changed the material of the rubber tubing to a clear. I think some people were having issues with the black before.

All I know is that Tony is staying plenty busy. I emailed him recently about a mandola Gard and he is swamped right now. Good for him!
    Thanks for update ! On my mandolin at that time, marks were being made on my mandolin so I wrapped each prong with micro-fiber and problem eliminated.

Used one for years, but haven't in a couple years now. I feel it helps you hear better, but out front makes no difference. I can hear my mandolin plenty good without, even in a jam so i quit using it. I also sit a lot and don't need it then.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I have a toneguard on each of my 3 Mandolins. I have had mixed feelings about them over the years, but if I am consistently playing out and standing a lot I definitely want it on there. For various reasons mentioned above and the especially the dreaded sweat spot I would get where the mandolin back would contact my shirt. On hot days I would get a large damp oval, with the toneguard I barely get a little line where it contacts my gut.

Last year I went on a trip and took a mandolin but had the toneguard off. After a week of playing in the upper peninsula of Michigan I went to the Marshall Mandolin Summit. I never missed the toneguard.

I do leave them on all the time so that I can stay acclimated to the slightly different angle of the mandolin as I hold it, and so as not to be constantly flexing the metal by taking it on and off.
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Blog Entries

I believe the maker started putting some sort of titanium infused plastic for the tubing that are on the prongs that hold it on the mandolin as to not mar the finish as I asked before I got a new one for my old F-5.

I have a Tonegard on my one and only mandolin, the original design. I don't know if it helps with volume or tone to a listener, but I can hear a small difference and that's enough to make it worthwhile. No idea if it marked the finish; I've never had a reason to take it off. I make sure any case I use like my current Pegasus will fit with it attached.

Something that doesn't get mentioned enough, is that it adds a small amount of weight to the lower end of the mandolin. This helps a little bit with counterbalancing the large peg head of an F-style mandolin when using a strap.

22. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

sonic 

I'm a firm believer in them for me. Yes, you can hold your mandolin away from your body, then you'd notice no improvement at all. But I'm lazy and just thinking about playing a mandolin is all I can handle. Don't need more to think about. When I see toneguard a on Loars played by prominent players, it just enforces what I've found out for myself.

I will say never on my 1913 A 1. That just seems wrong. For no good reason.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

24. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

I have used one for years and I think it makes a difference. Plus it looks cool. The main complication for me is that it makes a really tight fit in the case.
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

Gutgard.

Drop the third trimester muffin top and you won't need one!
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

27. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

Every mandolin I've seen, from Washburns to Kimbles, that had a tone-gard have significant impressions where it was mounted to the instrument. It may not damage the finish, but the wood gets indented for sure.

29. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

John..........Were you really up at 3:20 AM worrying about this?
    They work for me......... buy one & try it out. And if you don't
    like it then put it in the Cafe classifieds & someone like me will buy
    it from you.

31. The following members say thank you to SternART for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by grandcanyonminstrel View Post
    Gutgard.

Drop the third trimester muffin top and you won't need one!
    Easier said than done!

33. The following members say thank you to stevojack665 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by SternART View Post
    John..........Were you really up at 3:20 AM worrying about this?
    They work for me......... buy one & try it out. And if you don't
    like it then put it in the Cafe classifieds & someone like me will buy
    it from you.
    A actually I was up before that and I’m heading to bed now. I hope tonight I sleep longer but 4 - 5 hours is all I can usually keep myself in bed. I wasn’t worried about this and today the choice was taken out of my hands. I discovered my wife’s tires down to 2/32 of tread so new tires. Sadly they will be between $550 and $650 not counting tax. So what I had set aside is now gone. Maybe next year I will think about it again however the idea it will mar my OldWave really turns me off. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    Every mandolin I've seen, from Washburns to Kimbles, that had a tone-gard have significant impressions where it was mounted to the instrument. It may not damage the finish, but the wood gets indented for sure.
    I have two nice mandolins, both have toneguards. The 12 year old Weber has had one since it was six months old. No dents or marring. I suppose denting could happen from rough handling.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com