Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Toxicity of finishes

  1. #1

    Default Toxicity of finishes

    Iíve been reading threads on the various things to consider when choosing a finish. Tone, application process, skill, durability, drying time are mentioned often. I havenít found a thread that discusses the range of toxicities that finishes have and how that influences a choice. What is important to know about this?

  2. #2
    Certified! Bernie Daniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    8,202
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Toxicity of finishes

    Quote Originally Posted by BeanJean View Post
    I’ve been reading threads on the various things to consider when choosing a finish. Tone, application process, skill, durability, drying time are mentioned often. I haven’t found a thread that discusses the range of toxicities that finishes have and how that influences a choice. What is important to know about this?
    Hi, Actually the toxicity of various finishing options has been discussed on this forum many times in great detail. May need to try different search terms?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Farmington, MN
    Posts
    176

    Default Re: Toxicity of finishes

    Nitro lacquer is probably the most toxic and the safest is grain alcohol dissolved shellac. Everything else is in between those two extremes for range.

    I think the most important factor if you spray any finish is good ventilation and a respirator. I've known of too many luthiers and finish guys that ended their careers early because of COPD and other respiratory illnesses.

  4. The following members say thank you to sliebers for this post:


  5. #4
    Registered User sunburst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    14,419

    Default Re: Toxicity of finishes

    Quote Originally Posted by BeanJean View Post
    What is important to know about this?
    That we use many toxic materials in our lives and that we need to take appropriate precautions to avoid injury.

    As players, we don't have much to worry about. Cured finishes are hardly harmful at all. As builders, we need to learn how to properly handle, store and apply finishes, and we need to invest in the proper equipment to keep ourselves safe, learn to use said equipment properly, and use said equipment properly.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:


  7. #5

    Default Re: Toxicity of finishes

    I used to spray nitro a lot, and found out quickly I did not want to be in the same room when it was drying. Things got hung in my shed for a couple of weeks. Once in a while I notice a new guitar in a shop still giving off that smell, but not commonly.

    Tom Ellis walked over to the finishing shop for Pavas one day and decided he didn't want to subject his employee to laquer any more so changed the finish on the Pavas because of it.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

  8. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •