Thread: Picking patterns

Blog Entries

Default Picking patterns

I've been playing a while now, but for one reason and another just playing melodically (i.e. note by note). Now, with my new Weber Bighorn, I've been inspired to finally start learning some chords. And that means that I need to start working on picking patterns. But ... where to start?

So I know most of you have done this already, long ago. With the benefit of hindsight, can you tell me what are the first three picking patterns that you'd suggest I learn? (I already get the bass note plus strum, and the alternating bass + strum. Looking for something beyond.)

Remember, you're talking to a rank beginner at this chording and strumming thing.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Default Re: Picking patterns

Google "cross-picking". Mike Marshall has some good exercises and tutorials on the subject, and most mandolin teachers will cover it to some degree.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    Google "cross-picking". Mike Marshall has some good exercises and tutorials on the subject, and most mandolin teachers will cover it to some degree.
    I did. The point is that there's a lot of information out there, and I'm looking for some guidance on what people would do now, if they were starting now. I'm looking for a guide in the first three steps into the wilderness. My own personal Daniel Boone.

(As an aside: Mike Marshall is a great teacher, obviously. But his video lessons are surprisingly bad video ... to show fingering on camera when the fretboard is an inch wide and there are two or three or four sausages crammed into that space, all hiding each other, or to show someone picking various strings that are invisible on camera with a pick hidden by the fingers--it's singularly useless. Like trying to watch the puck on a televised hockey game. Without all the interesting fighting. As good as current multimedia tools as there are now, it's shocking, really.)
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

I hear ya. I don't get much from videos like that either. I prefer to see the notation and/or tab for it, to read along with what I'm hearing. Mike Marshall has some of these on his Artistworks site. Chris Thile also has some written examples with his Homespun series on mandolin essentials. Unfortunately, these are copyrighted so I can't share them. But if you're at the level you say you are, it's well worth the cost to use these resources.

Blog Entries

Hi Belbein

I have found Don Julin's book "Mandolin for Dummies" useful.
    The title is deceptive, as one is certainly treated like a clever person, while still taught important beginner concepts.

I played a great deal of chords strumming, but am now also working extensively on right hand technique and particularly picking, for me still alternate picking, but I would also like to get a handle on cross picking.

Good luck

Vanillamandolin

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

Blog Entries

Belbein - about the videos: being blind I share a trifle of your dilemma, however, For the reason you mention I prefer audio files and a book. In these things are explained. Don Julin's book has explanations and very good audio files to download and hear what your picking should sound like. Don also explains very clearly.

Regards and best of luck

Vanilla

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Mike Marshall has all the cross-picking exercises in a book. Take a look at that on Amazon. Following video can be a pain tis' true. I like to have reference material on my music stand. I can doodle notes on what where etc. in that format..... Luck R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

You need to find a group to jam with twice per week where you are the rhythm player. Play chords to songs, tunes, etc. and try out boom-chuck vs chuck-chuck vs boom-chucka boom chucka vs temolo for a verse plus throw in a G-run at the end of the line.

Do that for 6 months, then worry about 'patterns'.

IMHO it'll do you good!
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Registered User maudlin mandolin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you go to "lessons" on this site you will see crosspicking lessons by Mickey Cochran. All the picking patterns are set out there.
    If you just want to play the chords try 4321 4321 or 4321 1234 and then 4231 4231 (4= G string)

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    I hear ya. I don't get much from videos like that either. I prefer to see the notation and/or tab for it, to read along with what I'm hearing. Mike Marshall has some of these on his Artistworks site. Chris Thile also has some written examples with his Homespun series on mandolin essentials. Unfortunately, these are copyrighted so I can't share them. But if you're at the level you say you are, it's well worth the cost to use these resources.
    ...first you tell me what you mean by "picking patterns" ?

Quote Originally Posted by mando-tech View Post
    ...first you tell me what you mean by "picking patterns" ?
    ...you may listen to 'my' picking pattern by googling up MAPLE VALLEY BOYS .

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Good job mando-tech. You found another one. This thread is only 6 years old.
    Tobin might not need to discuss this with you now. I could be wrong.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”