Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A New Pick For Slick?

Default Re: A New Pick For Slick?

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Collins-Hill View Post
    Looks like you need a tele!
    Maybe someday. LOL

Dave Sheets

Try some different picks when you get your mandolin, it's astonishing how much difference in sound different picks make on a mandolin. That sounds really stupid, but I sure hear it. I used Fender heavies for years, but switched to the Primetones and eventually Blue Chip picks. Try some different cheap picks out and see what you thinks.

I'm a big fan of Saint Leo too....

Do enjoy your new mando!
    Last edited by Dave Sheets; Sep-11-2019 at 8:38pm. Reason: Needed more words.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C4BDC307-953F-4B7F-8FF6-1BF0218691B7.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	945.5 KB 
ID:	179749
    No mandolin yet, but some picks were delivered yesterday. I included a Fender heavy for scale. The new Fender extra heavy, although resplendent in its three layer bevel design, is not “351” sized but “351” shaped as Fender claims. To the naked eye I would say it is smaller by approx 10%.
    The Dunlop 2.0mm Flow pick is a touch wider, almost identical to the width of the “351”. It feels substantial and sounded great on my acoustic guitars, overkill on my electrics. The extra heavy Fender worked better on electrics than acoustics. Smooth, fast and accurate but a bit small for my sausage fingered physique.

Thank you all again for your input and experiences. I never gave my pick a second thought until now and can see why it is such a big part of everyone’s gear choices.
    Frankie

Bottom row- far right pick has a bevel that shows in the photo. That’s a good number of picks to begin with!
    Kentucky KM-380

Quote Originally Posted by SlickPick View Post

Name:	C4BDC307-953F-4B7F-8FF6-1BF0218691B7.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	945.5 KB 
ID:	179749
    No mandolin yet, but some picks were delivered yesterday. I included a Fender heavy for scale. The new Fender extra heavy, although resplendent in its three layer bevel design, is not “351” sized but “351” shaped as Fender claims. To the naked eye I would say it is smaller by approx 10%.
    The Dunlop 2.0mm Flow pick is a touch wider, almost identical to the width of the “351”. It feels substantial and sounded great on my acoustic guitars, overkill on my electrics. The extra heavy Fender worked better on electrics than acoustics. Smooth, fast and accurate but a bit small for my sausage fingered physique.

Thank you all again for your input and experiences. I never gave my pick a second thought until now and can see why it is such a big part of everyone’s gear choices.
    Frankie
    Something else you may consider is trying out the more rounded corner of each of those picks as well. I think you may find a nice tone that way. Of course the definition of nicer tone varies with every person, mandolin, string choice, etc.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    Something else you may consider is trying out the more rounded corner of each of those picks as well. I think you may find a nice tone that way. Of course the definition of nicer tone varies with every person, mandolin, string choice, etc.
    Great suggestion I use the rounded end sometimes as well.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

I must ask-why would you use the rounded portion of a pick? How accurate could that be? Softer sound, louder sound? And again, thank you cool cats, you have been very patient and generous with your time and expertise explaining the finer points of plectrums to this old hack guitar player!
    frankie

I must ask-why would you use the rounded portion of a pick? How accurate could that be? Softer sound, louder sound? And again, thank you cool cats, you have been very patient and generous with your time and expertise explaining the finer points of plectrums to this old hack guitar player!
    frankie
    I'm not sure how I would describe it but maybe kind of like a change in the attack. I know of people who use round picks. In my picture above I have used the pointy end the rounded corner and the flatter end of the BG Jazz pick and the triangles actually can be had with two pointy and one round or two round and one pointy. But I think the attack is what I notice a difference on and some think tremolo is easier with the rounder part I like the trem sound of the pointy and find you can become proficient at any shape if you put your mind to it. Well, worth trying to see how you like it but for me, it did change how I orient my hand to the strings. Coming into it with a pointy the round side made me hold the mandolin so my hand was more in line with the strings because of the tip shape the pointy one I was playing lower but the pick shape let the pick still work the rounder needed to be more in line so I could pick better. Does that make sense? Of course, someone else will have a completely different experience. I do tend to be the odd guy out at times. Good luck and give it a shot.

frankie
    Basically, the mandolin is a super bright instrument and can be almost "tinny" (in general, of course each instrument is different).
    Many (not all) players prefer to use a thick and more rounded pick to try and darken up the tone. A rounded edge also tends to slide over the strings with less resistance, less pick noise, less effort.
    Listen to the tone of someone like David Grisman (plenty of Youtube if you don't own any yet). You just have a really hard time getting that "fat" tone out of a thin or pointy pick.

Lots of cheap picks out there that are round and thick so give one a try.
    All that said, some people probably do prefer pointy picks and sound great with them....so it's a journey you just have to go on for yourself. I've been playing for 16 years and still change up picks once a while.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Name:	67DF4EC9-FBDF-4564-8246-DD832DE87E69.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	762.9 KB 
ID:	179873
    Finally got this new(to me) sweetheart home yesterday. I have to say, I would never have thought playing with the rounded part of a pick would agree with me, but I stand corrected. I really like the sound and feel of it. You could have knocked me over with a feather! Thank you all for such great advice without judgement. Very much appreciated.
    Frankie

11. The following members say thank you to SlickPick for this post:

Name:	67DF4EC9-FBDF-4564-8246-DD832DE87E69.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	762.9 KB 
ID:	179873
    Finally got this new(to me) sweetheart home yesterday. I have to say, I would never have thought playing with the rounded part of a pick would agree with me, but I stand corrected. I really like the sound and feel of it. You could have knocked me over with a feather! Thank you all for such great advice without judgement. Very much appreciated.
    Frankie
    I know right! it is funny how the tip shape and material makes so much of a difference more so than I ever noticed on a guitar. In my picture, the BG Jazz shape is quickly becoming a favorite shape with the TI Flatwound strings I am using. The pointy end gives a bit back that the flats are missing over rounds and the backside is that nice round pick tone and the edge where it transitions from the side to the end is a nice in-between and oddly an oddly comfortable way to hold the pick with the long side pointing back towards my palm.

Blog Entries

Don't fall into the mental trap that there is only one pick for you. I change my pick for different venues, different kinds of playing, different kinds of music, different kinds of practice. More than one pick allows a range I take advantage of.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

14. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Don't fall into the mental trap that there is only one pick for you. I change my pick for different venues, different kinds of playing, different kinds of music, different kinds of practice. More than one pick allows a range I take advantage of.
    Exactly why I have three picks and use every little corner or edge/end it has. Sadly not too many people I know can hear the difference. Sometimes I think we spend to much time chasing these slight shifts in tone but if I'm not happy with the tone I don't feel like playing. I think it's well worth carrying three different picks around for that reason alone, virtually 100% for me.

Blog Entries

In venues and musics where the individual tone of your instrument isn't the most important, a pick that can cut through the background noise may be preferred, even if it is not quite the tone you want. In venues more intimate, or playing at home with friends or alone, perhaps no compromise in tone is acceptable.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

17. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

For me, the rounded corner is especially beneficial when using tremolo. I find I'm slightly more accurate with a pointy pick but can't tremolo at all. Grisman has one of the best tremolos around and I'm guessing picking with a poker chip type pick helps with that greatly.

Practice tremolo with the pointy pick. A loose grip and wrist is a must, it is a good exercise.