Thread: "Brand New" 1930s Regal Mandolin

Default "Brand New" 1930s Regal Mandolin

It certainly looks as though it has been stashed for the best part of 90 odd years. Jake Wildwood is featuring a similar all mahogany mandolin in his blog which has the recessed tuners. I seem to recall he mentioned that Regal was using worm under gear tuners into the 1930s. This suggests that "just in time" component delivery was not the company's policy! Presumably, the tuners were bought by the freight car train load!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REGAL-MAN...MAAOSwlLBdVu9x

Default Re: "Brand New" 1930s Regal Mandolin

I actually may know where that one came from. A luthier friend of mine sold him a large number of instruments to pay for his daughters wedding. He's local to me although I've never met him.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

That's interesting- it may well be one of them I guess. There is a modern take on this venerable Regal mandolin- the Gordon Giltrap D-Day mandolin which has been discussed here. I reckon this old mandolin would sound better and assuming it needs no work, would be less expensive. This is the thread:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...D-Day-Mandolin

Less than 24 hours to go and it has received one starting bid of $159.............FWIW.

Not sure that the nicest one in the world is worth much more than that, but we'll see..............

NFI on my part, of course....

On its last outing it got no bids. However, it is probably worth the starting bid- or as you suggest a tiny bit more.

Yes please bid a bit more. The one bid is mine, that I made as I was falling asleep a few days ago. Since then I bought the KM1050 out of the classifieds for about $1000 more than that and will find myself in a bit of trouble if I come home with two new mandolins in a week. I don' think my bid is any higher so I ain't competing for it.

Gonna bump this again to see if someone else wants this mandolin. Or maybe just want to help me keep my wife happy??? $160 seems like a steal for this mandolin.

If the person who bid $160.50 is on here, thank you. I don't have to sleep on the couch tonight.

I saw that- you got really lucky!

10. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post: