Views:	305 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	179447
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190901-3R8A6786.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	179448

150 year old redwood top, lots of flame on curly maple back, sides, neck, headstock, and pick guard. James tailpiece. K&K Twin internal pickups ("just in case" I ever want to amplify - easier to install during construction than later). Toneguard. D'Addario EJ75 (heavy) strings as recommended by Ken. Curly maple McClung arm rest.

Ken was great to work with and was patient when I asked dumb questions, lol. Nice learning experience resulting in a cool mandolin that I'll pass down to one of my sons.

The mandolin has deep rich bass tones and in that respect is a step up from my Eastman MD315. The low end does come at a price, though, and that is that this Silverangel mandolin doesn't cut as well as my MD315 did. After playing it hard for a week, I tested the Econo A with my Saturday morning group this weekend (banjo, guitar, electric guitar and electric bass). After about a half hour, the bass player noted that this mandolin wasn't as loud as my MD315. I had sort of felt the same way when I got the mandolin, but was curious to see what my group thought.

SO, the Econo A is a nice mandolin with gorgeous low end, but it might not be the best choice if you're trying to cut through unamplified.

I'm hoping that in time the Econo A will be louder, but for now it will most likely be used when I play by myself or potentially with one or two relatively quiet instruments (not a driving Scruggs style banjo, lol).
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

2. The following members say thank you to Doug Brock for this post:

Default Re: Silverangel Econo A #446

Nice Looking mandolin...

4. The following members say thank you to slimt for this post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Congrats!... Welcome to the Econo A club!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

6. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

Thinking you can find a string set/different pick that may give more projection, if that's something you want.

That's a very fine looking mando btw, nothing econo about that to my eyes.
    d

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    Thinking you can find a string set/different pick that may give more projection, if that's something you want.

That's a very fine looking mando btw, nothing econo about that to my eyes.
    d
    I have the heavies on there that Ken recommends. There don't seem to be a lot of choices for heavies, and Ken feels the D'Addario J75's are the best choice for his mandolins. I experimented a lot with my MD315 and ended up with the D'Addario EXP74CM strings that have heavy A and E courses and I've gotten a strong cutting tone with them. That set wouldn't buy me anything on the Econo A, though, since I'm already using heavies. I guess I should try different picks, but Ken told me that I might consider plugging in. That's a possibility but I'd rather not need to start carrying an amp and associated gear when the Eastman has performed quite well without amplification.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

9. The following members say thank you to Doug Brock for this post:

Blog Entries

Dig it! I used heavies for year on a few mandolins, going fir that big tone, but when I tried J74s it actually increased the volume on a particular model. The heavier strings can restrict some tops, so it’s at least worth trying. You may actually get more volume. If not, and if you can’t sort it out, there are loud mandolins out there there for reasonable prices that also sound and play great.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

11. The following members say thank you to Kevin Briggs for this post:

DocT 

Cool!
    Mandolin: Kentucky KM150
    Other instruments: way too many, and yet, not nearly enough.

My blog: https://theoffgridmusician.music.blog/
    My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChF...yWuaTrtB4YORAg
    My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/africanbanjogunnar/
    Free backing tracks:
    https://backingtrackers.wordpress.com/

13. The following members say thank you to Gunnar for this post:

I have also been told that an instrument will open up over time and get louder with better tone.
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

15. The following members say thank you to DocT for this post:

Blog Entries

Very Nice mandolin! Yep it'll only get better with play and age.

17. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Briggs View Post
    Dig it! I used heavies for year on a few mandolins, going fir that big tone, but when I tried J74s it actually increased the volume on a particular model. The heavier strings can restrict some tops, so it’s at least worth trying. You may actually get more volume. If not, and if you can’t sort it out, there are loud mandolins out there there for reasonable prices that also sound and play great.
    I tried J74's and the treble sound was very thin.
    Doug Brock

Quote Originally Posted by DocT View Post
    I have also been told that an instrument will open up over time and get louder with better tone.
    I've always heard that and am hoping time and lots of playing will help.
    Doug Brock

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Briggs View Post
    there are loud mandolins out there there for reasonable prices that also sound and play great.
    Yep, I'll definitely be in the market for a nice mandolin that is also loud. Just need to save up some spare cash for a bit. Any recommendations for loud mandolins at reasonable prices?
    Doug Brock

I’ve read some good reviews on the Silverangel. I know little but I guess it’s whatever someone’s after sound and playability. I just went from an Eastman 305 to a Pava a style and the 305 was a louder mandolin but I’m completely satisfied as the tone and playability is really good and there’s no comparison. I’m my case I’ll take that anyday over volume but then I’m a couch player and not competing to be hearable over loud instruments. I guess if I was I’d mic it in some way

From reviews sounds like you should have a fine instrument
    Last edited by CBFrench; Sep-02-2019 at 9:30am.

22. The following members say thank you to CBFrench for this post:

I got one of the Econo As he was working on this summer (so excited) but when it arrived I was not as blown away as I thought I would be. I played it for a week before I contacted him. He happened to have another EA finished at that time and offered a swap. The second was everything I hoped it would be. I am a beginner, so I'm not the most discerning of players and play only for myself. But I'm happy with #441.
    Kathy
    Silverangel Econo A #441
    1920 Gibson A
    Morris Flattop #407

24. The following members say thank you to kegcrowe for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brock View Post
    Yep, I'll definitely be in the market for a nice mandolin that is also loud. Just need to save up some spare cash for a bit. Any recommendations for loud mandolins at reasonable prices?
    To be clear, I think you have two mandolins in the right price range. Eastmans can be quite loud. My opinion about the Eco is it ought to be reasonably loud considering what you paid. I don’t have a specific recommendation for a custom build, but used as styles are the mandolin industry’s best kept secret. There are safe bets, like used Collings’ MTs that around what you paid for your eco.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

I recommend trying several different pick shapes, materials. And thicknesses. It seems like every mandolin is a bit different in what it takes to coax the best sound out. If you like the overall tone and playability better than the Eastman, play the heck out of it for a few months and see how it goes; your technique and the instrument may adjust together over time.. Also, if you are playing in a group with unamplified acoustics and amplified electrics, getting a good mix is really hard anyways. And, the group shoukd be able to adjust volume-wise around you a bit too.

That said, I once spent top dollar from a vendor for a really nice 2004 Weber Yellowstone. It sounded fantastic and it was an F-style. I played it for about 1/2 hr before I bought it. After playing it at home and in my band for a while I found certain places on the neck very hard to play that didn’t seem like a prob during the demo. The action was fine, but I think it was a combination of neck shape and fingerboard. Anyways, after months of trying to make it fit I ended up selling it andburing something else (the Collings I am playing now).

Best of luck.
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

Blog Entries

Congrats Doug! What a great looking instrument! Enjoy!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

28. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

I’m on my third SA. None of mine have had redwood tops so I can’t comment on that, but my current one (an F sn 388) has a spruce top. I’ve had monel strings on it for about 6 months. I’ve found that it is a bit louder ( it’s plenty loud - cuts through in large jam situations) with thinner picks like a BC TPR 50 or just a Fender Heavy turned sideways. Good luck with finding the optimal string/pick combo on yours. It is a killer looking instrument.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

30. The following members say thank you to Mike Scott for this post:

Everything in the instrument world is a trade off. The high dollar maker are able to make the most of what is a compromise in the end. The Ellis I played was a case in point.multimately it was not the loudest instrument, but loud enough, and it hit a very nice tonal target of both very balanced and very resonant. Some mandolins have a good tone but little volume, some are cannons but have a biting tone.

I have a SA that is great for the 95% of the time I just play at home, and my Arches kit is rediculously loud and can cut through a mix. Often I have to back off in a group setting. I go out and try mandolins all the time and play instruments that I know wouldn't cut through a mix, but they just sound great. All the more reasons to have multiple instruments. Late at night playing Celtic tunes, my Gibson A1 shines.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

32. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Not being loud enough can be translated to 'the other guys are too loud'.

Great looking mandolin!
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

34. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    Not being loud enough can be translated to 'the other guys are too loud'.

Great looking mandolin!
    I thought about the factor of the two electric instruments being too loud, but I haven't had to worry about their volume before. The big issue is if I can be heard over the banjo. I can be heard with my Eastman. I'm taking both mandolins next time (in October, unfortunately- we have conflicts every Saturday in September) to better compare volume. I've about decided to go ahead and keep taking the Econo A and have that discussion about adjusting volume of the group a bit if necessary. That would be a good practice anyway, whether for my mandolin or for vocalists who aren't quite as loud as our main singer.
    Doug Brock

Quote Originally Posted by CBFrench View Post
    I’ve read some good reviews on the Silverangel. I know little but I guess it’s whatever someone’s after sound and playability. I just went from an Eastman 305 to a Pava a style and the 305 was a louder mandolin but I’m completely satisfied as the tone and playability is really good and there’s no comparison. I’m my case I’ll take that anyday over volume but then I’m a couch player and not competing to be hearable over loud instruments. I guess if I was I’d mic it in some way

From reviews sounds like you should have a fine instrument
    I’ve had a Pava A body for over a year, always love the voice, but it was not loud. Then last week, I handed it to a very accomplished player, and he immediately raised the action at the bridge. (with my permission, of course). Now, it plays like it just woke up! Still sweet, but now: awesome!

[QUOTE=RobP;1732895]I recommend trying several different pick shapes, materials. And thicknesses. It seems like every mandolin is a bit different in what it takes to coax the best sound out.

Excellent mando.Agree about picks.Ken sent me the thick ` Golden Gate Picks` available from Amazon.Why don't you give these a try and see whether the volume is to your liking.The picks are affordable and not expensive these give me all I need on my Econo,Davy Stuart Mando,Kentucky 150 and the new Ken creation IL Fantasma.

Tani

www.reverbnation.com/gaetanobevilacqua

Quote Originally Posted by Tomando View Post
    I’ve had a Pava A body for over a year, always love the voice, but it was not loud. Then last week, I handed it to a very accomplished player, and he immediately raised the action at the bridge. (with my permission, of course). Now, it plays like it just woke up! Still sweet, but now: awesome!
    not to intrude on OP's post but that's interesting and I have no issues whatsoever with mine but "plays like it just woke up" I haven't messed with the action on mine, just how much did he raise the action and does it still play like butter as before?

My SA Econo, which is now going on ten years old, is plenty loud. But, it’s been played a lot and has a spruce top (I think Sitka but am not the original owner). My Skip Kelley A5, which has an Adirondack spruce top and is a 2018 build, is awesome but still evolving. I’d play your SA a lot, play around with picks, and give it some time to develop. My Eastman 315 is loud, but lacks the complexity of tone the other two have. I had a blast playing it on vacation in Maine last weekend (I figured it was the one that would hurt the least if it got airlined, but all went well). But, I was happy to pull out the Kelley tonight. For the record, I honestly hadn’t played the Eastman much lately, and it took me a couple of hours to really adapt to the skinnier nut width and smaller frets, but I was reminded why I bought it in the first place...
    Chuck