Thread: It's Mandocello time at CMSA

Default It's Mandocello time at CMSA

This year the CMSA Convention "MandoLincoln" in Normal Illinois will include some special experiences for those of us in the bass clef department (we'll even let you in if you transpose from "universal"). Fabio Giudice, a master of the liuto cantabile and expert on Rafael Calace will be a featured artist. He will present a session on Calace's music, including music for the ten-string liuto. In another workshop, Mandola, Mandocello, Liuto, Mandolone and More, he will discuss options for modern players of the "bigger mandolin family instruments."

Last year's Music for Solo Mandocello was well attended, so we are doing it again: this time with all new material and special guest John Goodin. John will be there as we check out his new compositions specifically for the mandocello. We will also feature material from a forthcoming Progressive Melodies for Mandocello book by August Watters, internationally recognized mandolinist and author of Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press).
    CMSA mandocello section people, please contact me [jfimhoff@msn.com] if you want any additional information or a preview of some of the material (John has already posted some of his music here in the Cafe). If you play mandocello and are not a CMSA member, this would be the best ever year to join us in Bloomington-Normal!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim Imhoff For This Useful Post:

Default Re: It's Mandocello time at CMSA

Hope to get to meet you, just coming for some of the concerts. I miss not playing my mandocello in a group so much!
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

Hope you can make the workshop. Yes, I've been concentrating on the solo stuff, but last weekend played in a quartet and it's a whole different experience. I'm not a great player, but they're always glad to have the cello part covered and there aren't a lot of us around. And playing in a large orchestra is especially exciting.

Would love to play in a MANDOCELLO ensemble. I have a CD of a group from an old CMSA, I think somewhere...
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer