Thread: IV A Style Kit Binding Channel

Default IV A Style Kit Binding Channel

I received my kit from International Violin yesterday, and I noticed the binding channel is fairly uneven on one side

https://imgur.com/a/5xzJmW7

It looks like the router wandered and didn't achieve full depth of cut in that one spot. I'm fairly new to woodworking, but I was thinking I could get a small chisel and carefully deepen and square up the binding channel.

Does anyone have any advice on a better plan, or does that seem like the way to go here?

Default Re: IV A Style Kit Binding Channel

Without seeing more, it looks like the the binding slot maybe too deep on the left if the rest of the instrument is routed to the depth on the right. High tall is your binding? Do you have a means of rerouting the channel all the way around the instrument to the depth on the left? (a lot of work)

If it's just too deep in the one spot, your easiest option is to install the binding at the shallower depth and fill the part where it was routed too deeply. You might want to send that pic to the seller and see what they say. Good luck on the adventure.

Not to be contrary, but it looks to me, based on that photo, that the section in the middle is actually too shallow. You could probably lower that ledge carefully with an Xacto blade. Draw a straight line first, of course.

4. The following members say thank you to Dale Ludewig for this post:

On second glance, Dale is correct. My eye was caught by the raised ridge about an eighth of an inch below the channel. Getting the channel to a uniform depth for that short center scratch shouldn't be too difficult with sharp tools.