Thread: Has anyone played the Apitius F Mandolin at Southern Strings?

Default Has anyone played the Apitius F Mandolin at Southern Strings?

Hey has anyone seen or played the Apitius F Mandolin at Southern Strings in Thibodaux, LA: https://www.southernstrings.com/coll...n-black-cherry

I'm looking for an F style and this mandolin really caught my attention. I was hoping someone could provide some guidance on their impressions of the mandolin's tone. Thanks in advance!

Bryan

2. The following members say thank you to bramz for this post:

Default Re: Has anyone played the Apitius F Mandolin at Southern Strings?

Hey Bryan,

I have not played this specific instrument, but I have played a few other Apitius mandolins and they were all incredible instruments. Very deep, beautiful tone - hard to put down. Oliver is building another for me right now. FYI - Southern Strings has this instrument listed on Reverb and it's 15% off until Sep 3rd.

https://reverb.com/item/2853401-apit...herry-sunburst
    2019 Apitius F5 Rosine
    1994 Flatiron A-5
    Artinger Spitfire solidbody electric

4. The following members say thank you to John Mondick for this post:

Blog Entries

I love the look of that one! The neck looks too big, not my shape I like as I was eyeballing that one as well! I bet its great as I have high respect for his builds-the Rosine models! Maybe with the new LS voicing and a neck shape to my like, mmmmm yep in about 14-15 months!

That has a wide neck, for sure. 29mm (1 5/32”). Interesting because the one Apitius I played quite a few years ago had a very narrow neck, even too narrow for me. I prefer 1-1/8"-1-3/16" at most. I don't mind it too chunky but slender does not do it for me either. Maye the one I played was custom made for the owner.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hey thanks for everyone's feedback! Yeah it's weird that no one has played it and I can't get the folks at Southern Strings to respond to a voicemail, email or Reverb message.

Carter's in Nashville has one that belonged to Forrest O'Conner (it was made for him). There is a You Tube Clip of Forrest playing it, back in March 2019. I wonder why he didn't hang on to it, as it is now for sale?
    John A. Karsemeyer

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Carter's in Nashville has one that belonged to Forrest O'Conner (it was made for him). There is a You Tube Clip of Forrest playing it, back in March 2019. I wonder why he didn't hang on to it, as it is now for sale?
    Forrest traded his Grand Classic in for the first of my new "Loar Spec." models. You can read about it on my blog page (Near the bottom of the article) Here's a link to the YouTube video that was done with his Grand Classic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N6yNjEi5Pw
    https://www.instagram.com/apitiusmandolins/
    What is good Phaedrus? and what is not good? need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to O. Apitius For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Hey Oliver are there any you-tube video's of any of your mandolins with the new LS style voicing I can give a listen to, I forgot to ask when we were talking about the specs and my neck preference of the Rosine LS voicing mandolin?

Nice tone and look on the Grand Classic Model that Forrest had, I think. You Tube, "Apitius Rosine F5 Mandolin (2015)" gives you an idea of the tone on that model (with a few years of aging). "The eyes of man are never satisfied."
    John A. Karsemeyer

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    Hey Oliver are there any you-tube video's of any of your mandolins with the new LS style voicing I can give a listen to, I forgot to ask when we were talking about the specs and my neck preference of the Rosine LS voicing mandolin?
    Bill, I just shipped out the first and, so far, only LS voiced mandolin down to Nashville a couple of weeks ago. Forrest says he'll get around to recording a demo of it in the coming weeks. If he does, I will post it on my website.
    What is good Phaedrus? and what is not good? need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to O. Apitius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    That has a wide neck, for sure. 29mm (1 5/32”). Interesting because the one Apitius I played quite a few years ago had a very narrow neck, even too narrow for me. I prefer 1-1/8"-1-3/16" at most. I don't mind it too chunky but slender does not do it for me either. Maye the one I played was custom made for the owner.
    Wouldn’t that be a half wide?
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

Quote Originally Posted by ColdBeerGoCubs View Post
    Wouldn’t that be a half wide?
    Just to clarify for accuracy. My standard nut width is 29mm, which is 1.142". 1-1/8" = 1.125" therefore, my standard width is .017" over 1-1/8" Not enough to make a noticeable difference in feel.

I have never to my recollection ever made, or had a request for, a narrower neck. I have made a few wider necks for custom orders. Of course, how people may modify my mandolins after they buy them is not always known to me.

'just wanted to clarify the facts.

Oliver

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to O. Apitius For This Useful Post: