Thread: Is the wait for the Fender Tenor Telecaster worth it?

Default Is the wait for the Fender Tenor Telecaster worth it?

Greetings,

I've been playin electric and acoustic tenor for sometime now. I have to replace my electric due to some "unforeseen circumstances". It looks like Fender's release of its brand new tenor telecaster is gettin pushed back just a bit. Its looking like early november for potential shipment. My question is, what do you guys think of this model? Is it worth being patient for? Am I better off grabbing an Eastwood model?

Fender hasnt had much luck in the past when introducing four stringed instruments. Im curious as to its quality and tone when it releases. The sooner I grab a new electric the sooner I can start gigging / rehearsing / tweaking and practicing. Eastwood has been around a while and I've had experience playing some of their models. I have nothing against them. I used to play their warren ellis tenor all the time, the only issue with it being its fretboard gets sometimes uncomfortably wide as it gets closer to the body of the instrument. It can make it frustrating when switching to another instrument. I like the look of the classic tenor they have, my only concern being its tone might not be capable of achieving what i'm set out for. But all in all they offer some decent quality tenor's at affordable prices. What do you guys think? Wait and risk it? Or go for something I know in the meantime?

You may say, "well get an eastwood now, and a Fender later". Unfortunately I will only be able to afford one or the other seeing as I would need to get my pre order in right away. Its possible I could save a spot for the pre order at some distributor who will charge me when it ships, so I can afford the Eastwood now and the Fender later. But I may have to resell the Eastwood or at the very least finance the Fender.

Default Re: Is the wait for the Fender Tenor Telecaster worth it?

The Eastwood tenorcaster costs $100 more and also won't ship until November. The Eastwood tenorcaster also has the Warren Ellis (wide) string spacing. The Warren Ellis 1P is available now but costs $100 more and has the wide string spacing. The Warren Ellis 2P is available now but costs $150 more and has the wide string spacing.

If you like conventional string spacing and/or can wait until November I would wait for the Fender. If you like the wide string spacing and/or need it now I would buy an Eastwood. I like my Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P but if I was buying another electric tenor guitar I would wait for the Fender.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

On the other hand
    I've a slightly defective eastwood classic tenor. It buzzes madly due to earthing issues
    Can send it in but have gigs to fulfil. I was waiting on the fender but the delays aren't helping me.
    I'm about to get a warren ellis 2p instead. The classic is proper string spacing but QC is crap. Chinese built vs the WE 2P being Korean (better) built. Eastwood themselves told me that!!
    Yeah the string spacing worries me.
    Is it not something I can adapt to? I capo at fifth a fair bit.
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

With respect to the classic and tone - it's really nice. I would definitely say "you've a friend who's had earthing issues on his " to ensure they check it - if you go for it.
    You are comparing a dual humbucker HH design to SH I guess?
    If it wasn't for the earthing issues I'd probably not be worrying...
    I may wait til October when I have no gigs and get it back to eastwood then

I actually wish I could find a great luthier in the UK to build me a lovely one... One day I guess.

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    My band's website

I love my Warren Ellis 2P (made in Korea) for playing lead lines. I have big hands so the wide string spacing helps me not hit the wrong string. For strumming though I use my Blueridge BR-60T which has standard string spacing. Strumming on the Warren Ellis just doesn't sound quite right to me because of the wide string spacing.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

The string spacing on the Warren Ellis isn't too crazy. It has a bit of a learning curve when adjusting to it. Having played one, it never gave me issues. But it's different. The spacing at the nut and about a third way in seems normal. Its after that that the spacing starts expanding a bit more than most other instruments. If you look at a pic on eastwoods webpage you can see what im talking about. It doesn't really affect play-style per se, but it can take time to get used to. Also when switching between instruments there will be a bit of an awkward adjustment period for your fingers. but that goes with just about any instrument. With the warren ellis its just a bit more dramatic. It can definitely be somewhat of a turnoff, its the only thing that has me second guessing another eastwood electric. The classic tenor design is beautiful, its got that vintage gibson feel to it. its hollow body, its pickups and its overall design has me thinking it may not be the best instrument for the various tone's and styles i'm interested in expressing. Its got a very "jazz-leady" type of feel to it. Not entirely the direction i'm going.

And as you were saying the classic tenor is built in their chinese factory as opposed to the warren ellis which is built in their Korean factory which apparently makes better quality instruments. Theres also the new Airline Map Tenor which has a sleek design, a little different for sure.
    Last edited by EJMUSIC; Aug-29-2019 at 8:26pm.

I love the set up on my p90 tenor from Eastwood.
    2022 SRC Electric Octave Mandolin
    Crafter Acoustic/Electric Mandolin
    Surf City Octave Acoustic Mando
    Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele
    Epiphone 1924 Recording A Tenor Banjo
    Paramount 1929 Artcraft Tenor Banjo

Well I'm gonna get me classic fixed. After that... May not keep. It looks great. Sounds cool but I just got the WE 2P today and I adore it. I get the point re strumming but what I realise is how close the width feels to my bouzouki. Think it's a keeper.

My band's website

Quote Originally Posted by vwfye View Post
    I love the set up on my p90 tenor from Eastwood.
    The only ones I see available are grossly overpriced and ship from Australia... When did this model come out? it seems like the perfect solution. Really interested in this particular model. Seems to be some threads here mentioning it, but no sign of it on the webpage. No mention of it even from one of the eastwood reps.

have to say, one thing about the Eastwood collection is that the color choices are god awful. Atleast on the Tenor models

I've been recently checking out "Soares'y's Tenor Guitars". Seems to be a decent builder. Lots of different styles and high quality make. Ill let you know if I get in contact with anyone. Or anythings available.

Yes, they are hens teeth, but so worth finding... everyonr that touches my p90 tenor loves it

Quote Originally Posted by vwfye View Post
    Yes, they are hens teeth, but so worth finding... everyone that touches my p90 tenor loves it
    In case anyone has an interest.

One listed on Reverb (Chevy Chase, MD, United States) yesterday $520 USD delivered.

Considering the price point, it will likely need some work to make it play well -- the mandostrat needed proper saddles and i can visualize some old school strat or later tele saddles on the TT. Maybe, just maybe quality will improve as more are made. Seems like a good candidate for octave mandolin tuning, so i'll look into a butterscotch one if it can be found. It would be especially nice if Fender would make them in the late '50's translucent blonde with single ply white guard and rosewood board.

However, it might take their custom shop or a small shop builder to do it right. A shorter scale would suit me also.

Eastwood has a butterscotch teletenor listed for $599

vwfye - Thank you for suggesting the Eastwood. Here are the +'s as i see 'em:
    Eastwood: nice looking bridge and overall shape.
    Fender: resale value, translucent butterscotch finish, alder instead of basswood.

Update: Here's what I found after talking with a prominent guitar seller (who checked with their rep) and talking with Fender by phone: All of the initial run has been sold and more are in production, so we'll have to wait until after the first of the year. All the dealers (including Fender) i checked with aren't taking advance orders from individuals. We'll just have to wait. The rest of the stuff i asked is unknown.

My local music shop had an Eastwood tenor. I picked it up and tried playing it and was not impressed at all. Something about it wasn't right for me. I've also tried the Warren Ellis Mustang shaped tenor and it didn't do anything for me.

I rolled the dice on Fender's Tenor Tele and pre-ordered it.
    I got it a few weeks ago and I love it!

Fender put thought and time into the design of their Tenor Tele where it counts - in the neck. For me the neck is the right shape, thickness and width. At first I thought the string spacing was too narrow but I quickly got used to having a little extra fretboard space above and below the strings and now I wouldn't change it.

I own a 1954 Gretsch Electromatic tenor and the fretboard is honestly too narrow. I've felt the same way about most vintage Gibson and Martin tenors that I've played. Fender's Tenor Tele got it right, for me at least.

For these reasons I think the Fender is well worth the hunt and the wait.

Also Eastwood stole the 'Tenorcaster' name already being marketed by Joel Eckhaus of Earnest Instruments. Not cool.
    Everything Earnest makes is stellar, by the way. I have two of his ukes, and I'm sure his Tenorcasters are top notch.