Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hypothetical high dollar mando purchase question...

Default Re: Hypothetical high dollar mando purchase question...

Quote Originally Posted by ColdBeerGoCubs View Post
    But what’s the neck width...?
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    It’s cheaper just to have your hands surgically reduced.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ColdBeerGoCubs For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

One can adapt to any neck width! I have?

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    You didn’t. But in the context of a response to Astro, your statement

kind of read that way. I’m not trying to be combative, just trying to understand the distinction that you’re making here in relation to other posts in the thread.
    Astro made two statements that I took exception to. I’m not sure what those comments were based on, but let’s look at a few examples. High end builders use different materials, including finish materials. Take a look at the Ellis F5 Reserve at TME. There’s a difference in the look, materials and build between that Ellis and what Tom refers to as his Special. Bubble maple brings both an aesthetic and a tonal difference (note the word “different” here). The same goes for Birdseye, and both come with additional costs. The same goes for the Heritage models built by Michael Heiden. I’ve seen two of these. 200 year old spruce tops. Eye popping is not the word. And yes, they sound “different”, maybe subtle to the ears, but different (there’s that word again).

You are paying for experience and skill set at the $20k+ level. Gil, Nugget, Dude, Monteleone, Heiden, all these guys are on another plane. Finish, fretwork, setups, playability, and voicing, all unique to builder/model, but I’d never say one is “better”, because what’s better for me might not be better for you.

And now back to Dang’s quandary.

Dang, your prayers have been answered, there’s a Nugget for sale in the Classifieds! As for the nut width, it may all depend on the neck profile.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

It’s in Michigan...road trip!!!

That neck looks wide in the pic in the ad.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Contact the seller. We can all guess but that is worth nothing. You can't tell much from photos.

For historical purposes:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1997-Nugget.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	251.1 KB 
ID:	179422

In any case, one person posted above that Mike is not retired from making mandolins. About 3 or 4 years ago a friend of mine ordered an F4 copy from Mike. I doubt he does this for everyone but he happened to be in her area at the right time in the construction cycle and visited with her to figure out what neck profile would be optimal for her. I played that mandolin and it is a great one. If I had the bucks I would not hesitate to commission one from him.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    That neck looks wide in the pic in the ad.
    I thought the same.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

I figured it would be a short wait for one to show in the classifieds priced accordingly.

I thought the same.
    Me too, I was thinking that was hopeless optimism on my part!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post
    I figured it would be a short wait for one to show in the classifieds priced accordingly.
    Some read these forums and know what to advertise

Not advocating that you buy a Nugget or any particular make; that's your decision. I retired last June. However 18 months earlier I fulfilled my life long mandolin retirement dream of finding and buying a Nugget F. I came across a good deal, although I wasn't actively looking at the time, that I could afford with a bit of financial stretch plus the sell off of another great F. There's been no regret since then and no MAS either. I finally decided to ditch the constant wondering "what if" about all the other super mandolins out there, and just spend the free time I now have learning, practicing, and enjoying the heck out of this instrument. It's been liberating for me to pick up my "ultimate" mandolin and sit down and play. What I discovered was it didn't instantaneously make me a better player but it does inspire me to work at getting better and enjoying the process. So far the stock market hasn't hurt me too much while the music goes on! Have fun with your decision making and don't belabor it. You will know when the time is right and what to do.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dorenac For This Useful Post:

We all have a figure in our heads of what our personal limit would be, a comfort zone which we could exceed but won't. I probably picked my mandolin up half a dozen times yesterday, maybe more. That is not unusual. What could I possibly buy that would get more use? At that comfort level, don't buy anything you'd think of selling. If you have that thought keep looking.

My uncle left me a bunch of silver quarters that are sitting in a safe deposit box. Fifty pounds of silver should buy me a nice mandolin. The only thing I need to figure out is to beg forgiveness or ask permission.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Dang, The only 2 Nuggets i've seen (early ones) had big necks.... that might overcome your 'wide-nut' desire....

This nugget just landed in the classifieds........

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/144141#144141

He does not state neck width.

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I have had a couple of emails with Mike Kemnitzer, he is certainly still building and I am working out the details of a build. Nothing ordered yet but I think it’s going to come together. Thank you all for your help! I had a number of helpful PMs, sorry if I didn’t respond to them all.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dang For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    One can adapt to any neck width! I have?
    My boss at the vintage guitar shop would say, "play it for ten minutes and you'll get used to it!" (when people would try to apply their list of dream specs to a vintage instrument.....)

Hagstrom electric guitar necks come to mind -- extremely popular in the mid-60's -- super thin and billed as the "world's fastest neck" and guaranteed for 10 years! (probably designed for 60's teenager's hands....) Certainly out of style with today's "big neck" mentality...............FWIW.