Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Straighten a Neck - No Truss Rod

Default Re: Straighten a Neck - No Truss Rod

As said more than a few times already, it needs a proper diagnosis. Is there excessive relief in the neck or is the problem due to neck angle or maybe even malformation of the top? Hard to know the skill level of the person posting the question. If you are certain of the cause of the high action say so and I’ll do the best I can to help.
    Sometimes these old catalog guitars are quite awesome when given a look over by a seriously skilled luthier. I just did a student quality Framus and it’s a total joy to play. Despite its total lack of a quality top, it’s got this unique tone that I’m just in love with.

2. The following members say thank you to Wrnchbndr for this post:

I have a very old K Craft Venetian with a bolt on neck that needs straightening. Thanks for this thread.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by graham darden View Post
    I have a very old K Craft Venetian with a bolt on neck that needs straightening. Thanks for this thread.
    Graham
    Graham, those Kay Kraft guitars have a specific neck problem that happens with age and wear -- there is a non-adjustable metal bar in the neck under the fretboard which tends to crack the fretboard down the middle over time due to wear and tension. On this specific guitar, you will need to remove the fingerboard, grind the metal bar flush with the neck, then reglue the fretboard back on. This repair is detailed online on various sites, including jakewildwood and littlebrotherblues. Heat alone won't solve the problem on Kay Krafts due to the metal bar.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Sep-08-2019 at 10:03pm.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

Jeff, will get into this when I finish the current mando. Love the "Hillbilly" sound of this guitar.
    Graham

7. The following members say thank you to graham darden for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by graham darden View Post
    Jeff, will get into this when I finish the current mando. Love the "Hillbilly" sound of this guitar.
    Graham
    Yes, Kay Kraft's are cool. I've probably had 5 or 6 over the years -- mostly basket cases that I restored, but I did find a near mint one once at a guitar show that had amazingly low action -- better than most Les Paul's, believe it or not -- a really fine guitar........but in a weak moment someone made me an offer that I thought was too good to be true and I took it.

Fun stuff, and you sure don't see them like you once did!

I would think about either doing a refret like some others have mentioned with bigger frets or putting a carbon rod in the neck. It's pretty easy to peel off the fretboard and install a rod. This would secure the neck in a straight position and it would ensure that it won't bow again in the future. There are some down sides to this, but nothing that would prevent me from wanting to do it. I would think.

Well here she is hovering above the basket but still making noise.
    Graham
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190923_081602.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	820.2 KB 
ID:	180076   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190923_081623.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	761.6 KB 
ID:	180077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190923_081656.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	866.1 KB 
ID:	180078  

Why is this on Mandolin Cafe?

12. The following members say thank you to Larry Nixon for this post:

It's the "Builders and Repair" section and most luthiers work on all different kinds of instruments. There's a wealth of knowledge here on challenging cases and how we deal with them.

14. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post: