Thread: musical instruments exempt from cites rosewood

Default musical instruments exempt from cites rosewood

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kjbllc For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: musical instruments exempt from cites rosewood

Thank you for posting, this is important information. We'll have to see if it gets final CITES approval.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

I think it probably will be finalized, but it's important to note that this will only affect the rosewoods added to Appendix II beginning in 2017. BRW restrictions will not change.

5. The following members say thank you to Buck for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    I think it probably will be finalized, but it's important to note that this will only affect the rosewoods added to Appendix II beginning in 2017. BRW restrictions will not change.
    I thought it also included ebony and some mahoganies.

Quote Originally Posted by thistle3585 View Post
    I thought it also included ebony and some mahoganies.
    The OP mentioned rosewood, so that's all I addressed. The proposal primarily address rosewood, but bubinga is including. As far as I know neither ebony nor mahogany is addressed in this proposal, which is primarily a modification of the 2017 addition of all rosewood (other than BRW) to Appendix II.

Here's the proposal.

https://cites.org/sites/default/file...18-Prop-52.pdf

8. The following members say thank you to Buck for this post:

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Ebony and mahogany don't need to be addressed. They are already exempt in finished products. Rosewood is not at the moment.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

10. The following members say thank you to peter.coombe for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Thanks, very helpful!
    -- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]

Blog Entries

Last edited by dhergert; Aug-29-2019 at 1:21am.
    -- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    The description reads "The conference amended an earlier Appendix II listing of rosewoods and related tree species to ensure that small finished items, including musical instruments, parts and accessories, could be carried across borders without the need for CITES permits." How about shipping items? This seems to address traveling musicians. Anxious to see the implementation and its timeline. I have an order from Ireland.

Blog Entries

So CITES categorizes Appendix I species as those being currently or immediately threatened with extinction, and Appendix II species as those being or soon to be endangered.

An issue that hasn't been addressed is the difficulty in local agents' ability to distinguish between Brazilian rosewood, which is covered by CITES Appendix I, and non-Brazilian rosewood species, which are covered by Appendix II. Similarly, the issue of distinguishing between elephant ivory, which is covered by Appendix I, and ivory from other non-Appendix I sources (ie: "Ancient", "Fossil", etc., and from other extinct species) has not been addressed. As has been mentioned in a number of places, even biologists are turning to DNA testing to try to be accurate in the process of distinguishing between species; it is a huge jump to expect agents to be 100% accurate.

Ebony and mahogany species are covered in Appendix II by specific Annotations exempting finished products. I don't know if the newly adopted proposal changes that, but I suspect it does not.

My study was focused on rosewoods and ebonies, but also of serious interest to musicians are mother of pearl, abalone and of course ivory as discussed above. I know from my double bass contacts that the violin family bowing/arco community still has serous concerns about these issues as there have been notable antique/collectable bow confiscations.

Regarding the currently approved Appendix II changes, they officially go into effect in 90 days. What that means at each border, I don't think anyone knows.

In other words, at least at this time it still pays to check and document before traveling or shipping internationally, keeping in mind that each nation still has their own set of rules and documentation requirements. Many nations, such as the USA and the EU, also have multiple govenmental agencies that are stakeholders, each with their own rules and documentation requirements. The CITES Appendix II changes should eventually help that, but they are not a complete or immediate solution for the music community.
    -- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]

Mandolin & Mandola maker

An issue that hasn't been addressed is the difficulty in local agents' ability to distinguish between Brazilian rosewood, which is covered by CITES Appendix I, and non-Brazilian rosewood species, which are covered by Appendix II.
    This is nothing new. This problem has existed since 1992 when Brazilian rosewood was listed on Appendix I so the current changes will make no difference. It just reverts back to what it was before all rosewoods were listed. They seem to have been able to cope with the problem for more than 20 years.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

16. The following members say thank you to peter.coombe for this post: