Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chords Guitar to Mandolin

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Re: Chords Guitar to Mandolin

Although I use 2 of the 3 examples, the second one, 779x --> 579x is a real challenge for my fingers, and I never use it.

When using chop chords, I often default, when playing G, A, B, etc.(on the treble side), to make the 7th using only the 3 & b7 notes, e.g. 7523 (G) --> 432x (G7)
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dadsaster View Post
    If you want to sound more "guitarish" I would favor chord shapes with either the root or the 5th in the bass. For the key of A (as an example) ->

2|2|4x (root in bass) and 9|11|12x (5th in bass)

These same two shapes exist for all keys.
    The mandolin is a soprano instrument, there's no bass on a mandolin. Whatever belongs in the bass belongs on some other instrument.

For perspective: a normal baritone vocal range is something like G to g' (Helmholtz notation). The lowest note on a mandolin is g, halfway between the two extremes, and on the open 3rd string of the guitar. The "root" in your first example is one step above that.
    In your second example it's a minor third below the g' and on the open 1st string of the guitar.

When I got started on the mandolin, 52 years ago, after 10 years of guitar, what I brought
    from the guitar was a general knowledge of music theory. Everything else had to be discovered. In those days I was into Bluegrass, and I quickly realized that the mandolin, rhythmically and harmonicalle, comes on top of everything else. But, as our band didn't have a fiddle I had to assume a similar role on the mando, kick-offs, solos, melody presentations, counter-parts to the vocal line, etc.

Nobody asks the TS about context, what are the other instruments, who handles the bass
    (guitar, cello/mandoloncello, double bass?), etc. Anyway, the answer to the original question is there's no rule of the thumb, you got to work out most of it yourself depending on what kind of sound or role you want to assume, dry, percussive, sweet, ringing, etc. As the old song says, ain't no one here can do it for you. Enjoy the process of discovery. It's great fun.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Ralph, I know that you had to walk uphill to and from school, but I think you understood what dadsaster meant.

Not everybody is playing in a group and can depend on someone else to provide the bass; you have to provide what 'will pass' as bass on the mandolin.

I DO agree that discovering something new on the mandolin is very rewarding, and new discoveries appear surprisingly often. I see something new to do pretty much every day and it adds so much to the fun of playing.

That said, not everybody values discovery as much as some of us do.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Quote Originally Posted by mmuussiiccaall View Post
    Here's a chart that shows about everything you would need.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin M m 7 M7 m7 chords.pdf 
Views:	415 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	179284
    It took me about 15 minutes to finally figure this thing out. I couldn’t understand how E flat could possibly be the major third of a G chord. Duhhhh!!!!! I know you explained it once, but I still didn’t get it. I got it know though! Thanks! This is a very cool tool!