Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 Sam Bush tracks

Registered User Matt Hutchinson's Avatar

Default Top 5 Sam Bush tracks

Hi everyone,

I've been getting into Sam's playing more and more recently. There's so much out there to listen to so, to start a shortlist of stuff to check out (or possibly a very long list!), I thought I'd ask you all what your favourite 5 Sam Bush tracks are.

By that I mean tracks Sam played on, not necessarily his own (although his own are welcome - Brilliancy would definitely be in my top 5 at this point!).

So, what's on your list and which album will I find it on?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Default Re: Top 5 Sam Bush tracks

Try Laps in Seven andCircles AroundMe for 2 greatalbums and then any of his New Grass Revival albums. Might grab an Emmylou Harris from the80’s when Sam was I her Hot Band. Top 5.....Gold HeartLocket, White Bird, Ballad for A Soldier, On the Boulevard, Circles Around Me.

I'm going back to old Kentucky off Bluegrass Mandolin Extravaganza!

Thanks,
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

4. The following members say thank you to Baron Collins-Hill for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Brilliancy, Russian Rag, Sapporo, Reach, You Don't Knock ……. Enjoy … R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

"Big Mon" the version off "Late As Usual"

Brilliant, thanks everyone! Yes, love the Emmylou ‘At the Ryman’ album. Great playing (and songs) all round.

Girl from the North Country. His version is classic, unique Sam Bush. It’s not full of tremolo, not a bunch scales, not a bunch of melodic stuff. Doesn’t sound like a fiddle, banjo or guitar. No steal guitar licks. Nothing wrong with any of that. And Sam can do all of it. But then there is SAM - musical, the melody, drive, and in a groove.....mandolin.
    Yes, I’m a Sam fan!
    Bob

9. The following members say thank you to re simmers for this post:

This is a very tough question. As a huge Sammy fan, I couldn't possibly narrow it down to just five favorite tracks. However, after breaking it down to categories I tried to figure out a few of my favorites. These are mostly from Sam's solo albums, although a few of them appeared earlier on some of the NGR albums. If I were to go through all the recordings he's been on, it would take forever. So this list doesn't include stuff like his playing on Tony Rice's Manzanita and Cold on the Shoulder, Bela Fleck's Drive and Bluegrass Sessions vol.1, Hold on We're Strummin with the Dawg, the Bluegrass Mandolin Extravaganza, and countless other albums (like Jerry Douglas Under the Wire, Peter Rowan's Crucial Country, and Leftover Salmon's the Nashville Sessions just to name a couple more). I do have to say though, that hearing Sam play Wayfaring Stranger is probably my favorite thing in all of music, whether it's solo, with the Dawg instrumentally, or with Tony Rice on vocals.

Anyways...I broke it down to favorite instrumentals, ballads, newgrass and more traditional Bluegrass songs. So here it goes.

Instrumentals: Stingray (Glamour and Grits), Crooked Smile (Late as Usual), Bananas (King of my World), Whayasay (Glamour and Grits), and Mr. Freddie (Howlin' at the Moon)
    Ballads: Circles Around Me (album with same title), Ol' Joe Clark (Glamour and Grits), River Take Me (Laps in 7), Last Letter Home (Late as Usual) and Souvenir Bottles (Circles Around Me)
    Newgrass: Transcendental Meditation Blues (Storyman), Same Ol' River (Glamour and Grits), I Wanna Do Right (Laps in 7), Song For Roy (Howlin' at the Moon), and Spirit is the Journey (King of My World)
    Trad BG: Bringing in the Georgia Mail (Laps in 7), Whisper My Name (Circles Around Me), On the Road (Laps in 7), Eight More Miles to Louisville (King of my World), and Out on the Ocean (Circles Around Me)

So here are twenty of my favorite Sam Bush solo songs, and there are so many other great ones. All I can really say, is that we are lucky to have such a musician who has recorded so much good music over many years. I have a feeling he's got plenty more in the tank too!
    Ruhland A5#68

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reid Morsi For This Useful Post:

Asked for five, got twenty. Can’t argue with that!

Thanks so much, will dive in and have a listen.

Plays Well With Others Nate Lee's Avatar

Manzanita for sure! The song and the album. Sam's solo on the cut "Old Train" is a favorite of mine.

Hartford's Real from "Hold On We're Strummin" by Sam Bush & David Grisman.

Ozzie & Max from "Howlin' at the Moon"

Can't Stop Now by New Grass Revival

His latest album, "Storyman" is full of great picking too. As mentioned above, it's really hard to narrow down!
    Nate Lee
    Music Teacher
    Mandolin Player & Twin Fiddler for the Becky Buller Band.
    Proud owner of Pava mandolins #83 & #194
    www.TheNateLee.com
    www.PlayNately.com

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Just saw him perform last week at a festival in Vermont. He is a great artist and nothing he does was bad. I liked his “Howlin at the Moon”, his version of Leon Russel’s “Stranger in a Strange Land”, and a Bob Marley song he did.
    The “Grassers” attending probably would likely have other picks.
    But, just as I said, it was all great coming from a great artist.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

"The Old Home" on Doc Watson's 'Ridin That Midnight Train' album.

Sam's performance on the whole album is great, but the first break on that song is just killer. One thing I love about Sam's playing is that it always sounds like he's just about to come off the rails completely. Sorta like Jimmy Page.

One album I didn't mention before which is certainly worth checking out is Strength in Numbers "The Telluride Sessions". This supergroup is basically the Telluride House Band with Sam, Bela, Jerry, and Edgar, accompanied by the incredible multi instrumentalist Mark O'Connor. This album to me is the quintessential newgrass/progressive acoustic music disc and should definitely not be missed. Sam plays on every track, mostly mandolin and a little fiddle and they are all fantastic. The one song that really stands out in my opinion though is "Macedonia" co written by Sam and Mark who play twin mandolins on it.

Another cool album in a more classical genre is Short Trip Home; with Sam, Edgar Meyer, Mike Marshall, and Joshua Bell. like the Telluride Sessions this is an all instrumental album with an array of different instrumental arrangements. Highlights for me on the album include "BT" with Sam on mandolin and Mike Marshall on Mandola, as well as "Death by triple fiddle" with Sam, Mike, and Josh all playing the violin. Sam plays the last break on this song and it is out of this world!
    Ruhland A5#68

17. The following members say thank you to Reid Morsi for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Winn View Post
    "The Old Home" on Doc Watson's 'Ridin That Midnight Train' album.

Sam's performance on the whole album is great, but the first break on that song is just killer. One thing I love about Sam's playing is that it always sounds like he's just about to come off the rails completely. Sorta like Jimmy Page.
    Completely agree!
    I always admired Sam's playing on this record, and have tried to steal as much as possible from it!

This is great, thanks everyone. As many of you say, it’s tough to distill such a amazing career into a few tracks but everyone’s given me their personal ‘must listen’ tracks so I’m building a killer playlist to kick things off!

One of my current favourites is the solo on this Eric Bibb tube from Transatlantic Sessions - https://youtu.be/Ds1faZB4QSc

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    This is great, thanks everyone. As many of you say, it’s tough to distill such a amazing career into a few tracks but everyone’s given me their personal ‘must listen’ tracks so I’m building a killer playlist to kick things off!

One of my current favourites is the solo on this Eric Bibb tube from Transatlantic Sessions - https://youtu.be/Ds1faZB4QSc
    That was awesome!
    Mandolin: Kentucky KM150
    Other instruments: way too many, and yet, not nearly enough.

My blog: https://theoffgridmusician.music.blog/
    My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChF...yWuaTrtB4YORAg
    My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/africanbanjogunnar/
    Free backing tracks:
    https://backingtrackers.wordpress.com/

I don’t know if it’s still available anywhere, but he did an album when he was a teenager with Alan Munde on banjo called Poor Richard’s Almanac. The quality is funky but his picking (even back then) is phenomenal. I have the vinyl. If nothing else you gotta hear it for its historical value and to hear what was on Sam’s mind as a kid!

22. The following members say thank you to Bill Foss for this post:

Leather Britches and Tom and Jerry

24. The following members say thank you to Bob Buckingham for this post:

The whole record "Sam and Alan Together Again". My all time fav mandolin recording.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pete Martin For This Useful Post:

Kevin,
    Doc’s Midnight Train is a keeper, and Sam is great.
    Sam’s break and energetic chops on Doin My Time in an early NGR project is another good one.
    Sam seems to always be slightly ahead of the beat...without ever speeding up. Has Sam ever recorded with Tom Gray on bass?
    Bob

When i go t my first mandolin i searched my public library's DVDs and they had three of his Homespun DVDs, as well as "The mandolin of Bill Monroe" Volume 1 all of which I highly highly recommend, and if your library doesn't have it, maybe you can get it by interlibrary loan from somewhere.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Thanks everyone. I've put all the tracks I could find on Spotify into a playlist - here's the link if anyone wants a listen. It's a 3 hour, 40 track Sam-fest. Enjoy!

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5P...TlCMHG10wV39FQ
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; Aug-28-2019 at 4:53am. Reason: typo

I’ve added a couple of my favourites too!

Some standouts:

His solo on Gentle On My Mind, off a 70's John Hartford record
    His soloing on Berserkely, off a Mark O'Connor record
    His solo on Great Balls Of Fire, 1st NGR record on Starday label

Can't find any of those on Spotify!