Thread: New kentuckys ?

Question New kentuckys ?

apologies if this ground has been covered. but even before the covid threat there seemed to be a dearth of kentucky mandolins available . particularly in Canada . shops weren't carrying them , there were/are serious long wait-times ( backorders ) from the big-boxers and availability was unknown.
    does anyone know what's up ? is kentucky planning a new model line ? are costs of distribution prohibitive ? eastmans seem to fall from the sky , although the prices are through the roof here in the great white north ( pun intended ) . CITES ?.....anyone..??

Default Re: New kentuckys ?

I think that may a particular problem for your location. Kentuckys are pretty easy to come by here in the USA. From the dealers I've spoken with here, it is Eastman that is harder to get, with orders taking 6-9 months to arrive. I'm not sure what the shipping and tariff and CAD to USD hit would be, but you might try ordering one from a US dealer and having it shipped.
    Also, Kentucky redesigned all of their instruments to avoid any CITES woods and are now using Santos Rosewood (pau ferro) for the fingerboards and bridges on the mid and lower end instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by stevojack665 View Post
    I think that may a particular problem for your location. Kentuckys are pretty easy to come by here in the USA. From the dealers I've spoken with here, it is Eastman that is harder to get, with orders taking 6-9 months to arrive. I'm not sure what the shipping and tariff and CAD to USD hit would be, but you might try ordering one from a US dealer and having it shipped.
    Also, Kentucky redesigned all of their instruments to avoid any CITES woods and are now using Santos Rosewood (pau ferro) for the fingerboards and bridges on the mid and lower end instruments.
    This is good information so thank you for posting
    “Mandolin brands are a guide, not Gospel “
    - Data Nick

Teacher, repair person

Some dealers find it more profitable to do business with suppliers other than Saga, which is Kentucky's parent company.

I won't go into many details, but an example is that there are other companies that offer more attractive policies than Saga does on things such as price breaks on shipping costs and large orders.
    Last edited by rcc56; May-04-2020 at 12:35pm.

The new model year is here for everything from automobiles, mandolins, and guitars. Most music store are getting new inventory after NAAM. No one has been able to go to the stores to check out/buy 2020 inventory.
    There will bee deep discounts to be had when this Covid19 is finally over.

Quote Originally Posted by otis66 View Post
    The new model year is here for everything from automobiles, mandolins, and guitars. Most music store are getting new inventory after NAAM. No one has been able to go to the stores to check out/buy 2020 inventory.
    There will bee deep discounts to be had when this Covid19 is finally over.
    Yeah ...this is what I figured .....new models etc.. Even online there is little stock anywhere it seems . It started with the CITES regulations , it seems , but choice got progressivley worse . None of the large chains in Canada carry any Kentucky mandolins , from what I can gather . They say they will order it it but customer will pay shipping whether they buy the product or not . Guess I can appreciate that .

Quote Originally Posted by stevojack665 View Post
    Eastmans seem to be everywhere up here . A guy on craigslist is selling two Md -305s in Vancouver . There is always Eastman stock no matter the outlet , it seems ..and of course they are in the classifieds almost daily .

Blog Entries

CITES regulations for completed musical instruments, completed musical instrument accessories and completed musical instrument parts have been relaxed since November 26, 2019 for everything rosewood except Brazilian. So if a type of non-Brazilian Dalbergia or of Bubinga rosewood species is the issue, it isn't due to CITES. Other various national regulations may be involved though.
    Last edited by dhergert; May-07-2020 at 1:32am.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

9. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

It does seem after NAAM you I see a better stock of Kentucky Mandolins available from retailers. Reverb always has tons of Eastman Mandolin and so do a lot of retailers. Always wondered if Kentucky made smaller batches or only worked part of the year. I thought maybe all builders built in batches.?
    I know they make new Gibsons but not sure where they go. Seems like the Mandolin Store gets a new bunch of Gibson’s in every once in a while or gets in a special order. Seems like they sell really fast.
    Wonder how long it takes Gibson or Kentucky to fulfill an order?
    Kind of thought Kentucky always had some stock that reps could order through Saga. Gibson doesn’t seem to have a built stock, however I could be wrong.
    Boy I sure do see a lot Eastmans online.
    A local dealer in my area told me Eastman and Northfield like other overseas builders temporarily stopped production as a result current situation. Perhaps we may see a Mandolin shortage in are friends overseas. I feel Mandolins have always been difficult to actually lay my hands on and try out in a store.