Thread: Jimmy Gaudreau

Default Jimmy Gaudreau

I just ran across this video of the Tony Rice Unit playing the Strawberry Festival in 1986. Jimmy Gaudreau is playing very tastefully & singing harmony. It would be great to hear more about Jimmy..... and a Mandolin Cafe interview would really be appreciated. A killer player we don't hear much about.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMm38GGxZmk

Blog Entries

Default Re: Jimmy Gaudreau

Jimmy G is awesome, played with my Uncle Dick in the Country Store and Country Gentlemen stints! You can hear a bunch on you tube!

Jimmy did a great job during his hitch with the Unit.
    When T joined J.D. Crowe's band, he had left JG and some others others in the lurch, when they were just about to start a band with the best guitar player in the world.
    It was good that he got another chance to play in Tony's band in the end.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Thank you. Jimmy G has been in some great bands & done some fine solo and duo work. It would be great to see an in depth interview.... of the kind that Jason Verlinde does in Fretboard Journal. Where better than... Mandolin Cafe...?

Blog Entries

After Jimmy left Crowe my Uncle Gene Johnson took over-now that was some great Crowe stuff, unfortunately they didn't record with Gene and his playing is a whole new ballgame! I have some bootlegs that are spectacular as Gene's playing and Tenor is some of the best! Not knocking Jimmy G. I love his stuff mandolin style/tenor! but nobody played like Gene! I know Jimmy is retired from the music business-too bad as he was/still is one of the great underappreciated mandolin players out there! His Gents stuff all they way up to the Unit and beyond is awesome-I love that "Unit of measure-live CD!" Does he still have his old Fern with the Loar style 3 piece neck? I just played a gig tonight with the maybe first known F-5 from the same batch as his, Earl Taylor, Bobby Osborne's, Dean Webb's-Mine is a gnarly F-5 fern with a very thin lacquer finish!

6. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Jimmy G is great! I especially like the way he plays Dixie Hoedown on the 2:10 Train album. All kinds of good stuff on there but that tune really sticks out for me, it’s speedy but not so much that you can’t hear every note clearly...I just love that tune. Edsalls Tailpipe is another fun tune, reminds me a bit of Stray Cat Strut.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Thanks Bigskygirl. That's is a killer version of "Dixie Hoedown"

Blog Entries

Check out the old records Take' put out on You Tube! He has Jimmy G's solo mandolin record on there from the 70's as well as the Country Store records and many more-even live recordings, its very good and well it sure isn't on CD "that I know of!" like a load of great Bluegrass records that aren't on CD-or download! There is so much great old stuff he has put on You Tube!

Thanks William, for that. I've got the mandolin LP & JAG on a homemade CD. Great stuff "plays the little guitar and sings like a girl"

Blog Entries

Yeah Doc-awesome stuff, I don't have that stuff but at least I can listen on you-tube! I think I'll listen in a bit or should I say hear it? I have a bunch of old records that was my Gramps collection and then Uncle Mike's-Dads, some great old stuff, Some is real worn as its been all over the country, some even signed by some of the GREATS! I even bought some rare old stuff from Buckaroo Records when they were in business close to 20 years ago. A Café friend recently found me a record with both my Uncle's on it from maybe 76 "The Voices of Bluegrass volume 2" Take' has that one on you tube and if you want to hear a fine Loar and playing check that recording out! I love records, kids nowadays don't even know what they are!

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    ... especially like the way he plays <<everything>> on the 2:10 Train album...
    One of my all-time favorites!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EdHanrahan For This Useful Post:

===========

Apparently one of Jimmy's earliest 'big breaks' happened here in eastern CT back in the mid-1960's with a band and album called 'Fred Pike, Bill Rawlings & The Twin River Boys'; (I think the album was re-released on CD a number of years ago). The last time I checked, this part of Jimmy's musical journey was completely skipped over in the Wikipedia article about him. So, even though he is originally from Rhode Island, many bluegrass fans in eastern CT still look at him as a local boy who did very well for himself.

15. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Blog Entries

Yesterday I checked out some of Jimmy G's old records that are on you tube from the man TAKE' and one you all may not know about is perhaps his first record from 1965! Its a rare one and its called "Fred Pike Bill Rawlings and the Twin River Boys----play authentic Bluegrass Folk music. I give that old album 2 thumbs up or should I say all fingers and toes! Here is the link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuitvtKclik

Blog Entries

Wow Mike Zito-I think we're on the same page and posted about that old 65 recording at the same time brother! I didn't know this was released on CD? I'd love to find a copy of that one as I'm a fan of all the old stuff!

===========

William:

Don't quote me on this, but I think that the CD was independently re-released by one of the members of the band. Send me a PM if you are on Facebook (I am not) and perhaps I can put you in touch with somebody who can help you to get a copy.

A few years ago I found a copy of the original vinyl album at a local thrift store for $3.00 . . . and it was signed by the whole band! Definitely a nice piece of J.G. history.

19. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post: