Thread: Variety

Default Variety

I have four mandolins. This summer my neat freak wife got around to going through the non music clutter in my studio. It is one third library, one third music studio, and one third garage workbench. In deference to the declutter project, I found nooks and crannies to tuck mandolin cases into. I also have seven acoustic guitars. So now I have my number one hanging from the wall, and the rest tucked away. Not really buried, but not in a case stacked on the sofa either.

The result is neglected instruments due to my own laziness. Last night I brought out my old A 1 and had a delightful time playing Irish fiddle tunes. I've resolved to take some extra effort to spread the playing time around more, and take advantage of each instrument's inclinations. It's a joy to have a sonic pallet to work with. Don't be so lazy as to just grab the first available mandolin.

And for those of you who have just one, buy more.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Default Re: Variety

I also have four mandolins but I do play /rotate and play/spend time with all ! Sort of like polygamy / mandolygamy !! You don’t want to make the other three jealous ! Playing a different mandolin seems to recharge me and I look forward to a change !

Well, I have but one mandolin, but I make a point of playing each of my instruments daily. Of course, I have way more free time than most people.....
    Mandolin: Kentucky KM150
    Other instruments: way too many, and yet, not nearly enough.

My blog: https://theoffgridmusician.music.blog/
    My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChF...yWuaTrtB4YORAg
    My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/africanbanjogunnar/
    Free backing tracks:
    https://backingtrackers.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries

I hear you, I have many that get neglected! Tonight I will play another different one at a gig!

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I've resolved to take some extra effort to spread the playing time around more, and take advantage of each instrument's inclinations. It's a joy to have a sonic pallet to work with. Don't be so lazy as to just grab the first available mandolin.
    I agree in principle about having a wide sonic pallet to enjoy. That will mean different things for all of us. I'm more of a "one of each and more different kinds" person. After selling off a bunch of unplayed guitars a few years ago, my sonic pallet looks like this, one of each:

Mandolin
    Octave mandolin
    Acoustic steel string guitar, mostly flatpicked
    Acoustic nylon string guitar, entirely fingerstyle
    8-keyed "Irish" wooden D flute

That's a wide range of sound, especially considering it's all funneled into one style of music; Irish and Scottish trad. Keeping 28 strings changed on a regular basis is enough maintenance for me.

There is no right or wrong here. I respect those who are infatuated with mandolin and want to drill down into that instrument with many different flavors. It's all good.

I neglect many of my instruments, I still work full-time, and working cuts into my playing time, especially in the summer when there is outside work to do. But I enjoy all of my instruments for their different sounds/purposes.