Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm buying a Mandolin

Default Re: I'm buying a Mandolin

Thanks for every ones input. I have decided to get the Eastman MD315. Now I will need to search this site to see if there are any good suggestions on how to begin playing my mandolin when it arrives. I'm excited. Thanks again

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DennisS58 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DennisS58 View Post
    Thanks for every ones input. I have decided to get the Eastman MD315. Now I will need to search this site to see if there are any good suggestions on how to begin playing my mandolin when it arrives. I'm excited. Thanks again
    With both hands

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Congrats and welcome to the madness!
    Check youtube-my Dad finds it very helpful with his mandolin playing, I sometimes use it when I want to learn a new tune but go by ear, after awhile you should be able to hear the tune and play it! Play along with CD's or whatever high tech stuff is out there now, learn your keys, scales, changing with precision! My Gramps told me back in the early 90's-learn all you can, everytime you pick up your instrument try and learn something new, also if you can play bluegrass you can play any kind of music!

6. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Hey Dennis, since you played guitar for so long you have an ear and can hear melodies and chords, I started learning two string chords and working on major scales. https://www.mandolessons.com/ is a really great place with free lessons and donations appreciated.

I'm only about a month into the mandolin and finding myself around. I jump between the mandolessons site and Joe K Walsh lessons at PegheadNation and I just can't say enough good about Joe K Walsh's lessons, they have really helped me tremendously.

please go to the mandolin store and buy that 'used' eastman 315. Before I do.

We live in a golden age of instruction. One of the many is Peghead nation. A site like this will offer beginner classes of a general nature, then beginner level classes in different styles like bluegrass and Irish, and you can explore what direction you wish to go.

Mandolessons.com is a free site full of fiddle tunes. There are many more.

Starting out with a teacher isn't a bad way to go either.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

10. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    We live in a golden age of instruction. One of the many is Peghead nation. A site like this will offer beginner classes of a general nature, then beginner level classes in different styles like bluegrass and Irish, and you can explore what direction you wish to go.

Mandolessons.com is a free site full of fiddle tunes. There are many more.

Starting out with a teacher isn't a bad way to go either.
    I love peghead nation.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Welcome to Mandolining!

One other tidbit of advice:

You should get in line for the Travelling Pick Sampler (search the General Forum for the thread) and try a bunch of different picks to see what you like to pick with best. I use a Fender medium pick for guitar, but a much thicker and larger pick for mandolin. It makes a huge difference! Enjoy
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

Good choice of mandolin! I have a 305 and I’m in love with it.

How is the finish holding up?