Thread: Some days are like that . . .

Default Some days are like that . . .

It’s been a tough week at work with frustrations affecting my operations production. Those frustrations are outside of my direct control which compounded the problem. Normally, I’m even-keel but this had me on edge through the week – so much so that I have neglected to practice/play my mandolin. Somehow my mandolin knew, though, I had time to steal glances daily at the Café forums and classifieds. It could tell I was mapping out melodies on the fretboard in my head. I think I even heard it silently weeping in the corner, hoping I would open the case, pick it up and give it some attention. But, work, home and family took precedence this week.

Today, I took my mandolin with me to work - more out of guilt than desire. I knew I needed the play time but I also knew there was a good chance it would stay in its gig bag under my desk until quitting time. There was a lot to do and a lot on my mind. At lunch, I took it to the car, got a sandwich and drink at a nearby drive-thru, then headed to a large shade tree at a local park. A quick bite to eat and I decided to pull it out and tune it up. Over the next 40 minutes, I played, I practiced and I noodled with nary a care in the world. It didn’t matter that it was 100 degrees out with my windows rolled down. By the time I was done, something wonderful had happened – my brain and my attitude had reset. That beautiful little instrument re-mapped my thought patterns and relaxed me. I was ready for the rest of the day. It’s amazing what a little quality music time with an instrument you love will do. Yeah – some days are like that. We all need more of these “some days”. I know I do.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to FredK For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Some days are like that . . .

Good for you, Fred. I am glad your mandolin gave you the escape you needed. I don't know what we would do without these little wonders to see us through. Know why the world is so messed up? Too few mandolins!

Hang in there, friend. More playing and better times ahead.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Your post struck a chord (no pun intended) in me. Thank you for sharing. It was just what I needed.

5. The following members say thank you to NursingDaBlues for this post:

FredK 

===========

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    It’s been a tough week . . . so much so that I have neglected to practice/play my mandolin . . . I was mapping out melodies on the fretboard in my head. .
    Call me crazy, but to me 'playing in my head' is an integral part of music routine. I work at a pretty mindless job, so if you could read my mind at any given time during the work day, there is a pretty good possibility that I am writing song, or working out an arrangement in my head . . . this way, when I finally do sit down to play, I am not just flailing away mindlessly - I have some sort of an idea in my head as to where I can begin my musical endeavor.

Mike, besides thinking about it, I can't even listen to music anymore without hearing how my mandolin could and should sound playing along with it. Tristan Scroggins' cross-picking videos opened up a new way for me to imagine how it can blend in. Now if I could only play as good as it sounds in my head. But then, I'm kinda "pathetic and clueless" when it comes to that . But, like the rest of us - I keep on trying
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

===========

. . . if I could only play as good as it sounds in my head.
    The musical story of my life - so, join the club buddy, join the club . . . .

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

...something wonderful had happened – my brain and my attitude had reset.
    Most people need hours in a bar or a gym to achieve that. We're lucky to have a much healthier approach at our command.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

10. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Yes to all! Some how it just clears the "mental screen".

===========

I believe there is an old Irish proverb that says something like; 'A good sleep and a hearty laugh cures many ills.'

It has often worked for me . . . or, if all else fails, some self-indulgent 'Retail Therapy' is fun too.

Blog Entries

FredK, I just want to say I loved the content of your post, too, but you can write, bro! You have gift for putting words to paper. Thanks for the thoughtful expression. So true.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Hey FredK! Thanks for your encouraging post!

Good moods are work, it is very easy to let things bug you and put you in a bad mood and even harder to climb out. It is great you found a path to do so.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Before I became totally self-employed, I worked in an office where things got stressful at times. I did the same thing with my harmonica...sat in the car with the windows open under a shade tree and just got lost in music for the lunch hour. It made the second half of the day easier to handle. Thanks for sharing that story.
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Since I don't do lunch breaks I have no chance of playing in between office cataclysms, but every now and again I put on my headset and listen to ITM, pretending to be in a conference call (if someone comes in, I do that binary "17" gesture, saying things like "we can't start until requirements are consistent").
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world