Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Pa’s Washburn Lyon and Healy mandolin

Default Re: My Pa’s Washburn Lyon and Healy mandolin

Yes, it is featured in Paul Fox's book The Other Brands of Gibson. This model was only made for a short time so not that many were sold- unlike the Kalamazoo and Cromwell models. Nearly all the Wards Gibson made guitars and some mandolins were sold under the Recording King brand but some guitars and this and other Gibson mandolins were sold as Wards branded instruments. I am not sure why this was done but Wards also sold Kay made instruments at this time and I believe Richter and possibly Regal as well. You can see a tiny segment of the circular gold Wards label through the left f hole. That's when I said "Eureka!"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ward's mando body.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	299.0 KB 
ID:	179223

2. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Nick, I don’t think it’s dirt, it’s more like a grain in the wood, like a birds eye maple, if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    Nice, I don't believe I've ever seen a wards label! Way neat for sure. Thanks for the info as I didn't know those were carved tops. Who had that book out on Gibson's budget brands? I need to pick that up to read!
    We've had a few over the years. You kind of have to dig through the pictures to find the Gibson built models. Pretty much followed the Kalamazoo models.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ward...HjWIFqudKsVXM:
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

5. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    Yes, it is featured in Paul Fox's book The Other Brands of Gibson. This model was only made for a short time so not that many were sold- unlike the Kalamazoo and Cromwell models. Nearly all the Wards Gibson made guitars and some mandolins were sold under the Recording King brand but some guitars and this and other Gibson mandolins were sold as Wards branded instruments. I am not sure why this was done but Wards also sold Kay made instruments at this time and I believe Richter and possibly Regal as well. You can see a tiny segment of the circular gold Wards label through the left f hole. That's when I said "Eureka!"

Name:	Ward's mando body.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	299.0 KB 
ID:	179223
    Recording Kings were indeed made by most of the Chicago builders as well as Gibson. I would assume that Gibson made the least of them.

One of the more famous instruments was John Fahey's Recording King. It was destroyed and brought back to life. Make sure you click on the picture in the following article.

https://www.johnfahey.com/RecordingKing.htm
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

7. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gillypop View Post
    Good morning! It seems that the photo I took yesterday of the mandolin back is causing some consternation, so here is another one take in the sunshine.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47A216A8-09A2-4F54-84FE-0D5CEA368B03.jpeg 
Views:	246 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	179219
    The back is almost identical to the one Trevor sold.

Gillypop. I just meant that it may have lost its lustre through a build up of deposits/dirt on the surface- which would be a combination of various things on the varnish over time. The varnish itself can oxidise and change in its nature through this process- it cracks which is known as weather or finish checking- American spelling! It is possible to use a very mild cutting agent to remove this build up- you see a mandolin builder called Jerry Rosa on YouTube doing this on his videos- he uses chrome cleaner from a tube- and I have done the same and this can be very effective. However, when in doubt, do nothing! I have practised on old instruments that have little value to perfect my system for cleaning. However, it would be best not to jump in recklessly at the deep end!

10. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Mike, I have seen that article regarding the restoration of John Fahey's guitar. My expert told me that he had to restore a 1950s Gretsch electric- a plywood guitar. Anyway, the owner was the leader of a band that played on cruise liners- his wife was the singer, and there was also a backing singer or two. Anyway, the wife found her husband with one of these singers and exacted terrible retribution on the Gretsch- which was restored after considerable time and effort had been expended on it! One of his biggest efforts was the Bill Black Kay bass which had been stored in an outhouse or barn for years and was busy delaminating when its proud new owner took it to him for repair. I like to remind him of this when he tells me not to come around with ghastly wrecked Kay guitars for him to appraise/repair.

That link you posted has a nice shot of the Wards label in a Gibson made flat top mandolin posted up by Jim Garber. Here it is again:

Name:	p2_uj3302ea5_so.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	179224

12. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Blog Entries

The smashed guitar story reminds me of my Grandpa Big Bill Smith-he was working a gig at a radio station or something and George Jones smashed a Herringbone Martin over Little Jimmie Dickins and my gramps got all the pieces and put it back together with popsicle sticks or so the story goes-I need to speak with my Uncle to make sure I got the story straight but Gramps sold it to someone while he lived out in California probably when he was playing and recording with the group Glenn Moore and his Cousins. I sure wish I knew where that Bone ended up? Anyone here know that guitar by chance?

I tried to reply this morning, but must have put it in the wrong place. What i was trying to say was that you contacted me to express your serious interest almost as soon as I had joined the Forum. As you have probably seen, I have received a lot of advice and I think it is only right to pursue the various lines of research which are open to me. Therefore, I think i would be foolish to accept your offer at this stage, but please keep in touch.