Thread: 20 inch OM intonation and setup?

Default 20 inch OM intonation and setup?

After over 2 years of slacking off with my project I managed to get it strung in white yesterday

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 mando.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	179162

The chords sounds quite different from my first mandolin which seems to have a sufficient setup.

I went through the G string using a tuner app. The open string and 12th fret are good, but frets 1 to 11 are a bit sharp while 13 onwards are slightly flat. Should I move my bridge somehow or is this due to the action still being too high?

Name:	intonation.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	179163

I also wanted to try a floating tailpiece with this OM. the 4/4 violin tail cord is a couple of centimeters on the short side. A viola one would only be 1 cm longer. Cello ones are way too long. I suppose I'll just make do with this. I need to use a stronger screw though, as it seems the tension has already bent the screw. This might be a reason why it doesn't seem to hold a tuning very well for now.

Name:	tilted.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	179164

Default Re: 20 inch OM intonation and setup?

Hard to tell from the pic, but is your neck flat? Too much relief can make an instrument not intonate.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Sorry for the hasty pictures. I don't have a ruler at hand, but the neck seems to be straight using the back of a book as a ruler. The neck has a truss rod, but it hasn't been moved yet. The fretboard has been sanded and leveled using the same settings.

Yes, the action looks to be on the high side. Try lowering it and see if the problem goes away. If not, you might have some frets that are slightly off.

The book will have give, if you don't have a straight edge fret the G string at the first and 12trh fret and look around the 6-7th frets to see where your relief is. You don't need but a couple thousands.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!