Thread: Right hand cure-all exercise

Default Right hand cure-all exercise

Here is the right hand cure-all exercise I use. (Not really a cure-all, but it covers some bases) I learned it from Zak Borden, a great teacher, and I am sure Mike Marshall does it in finger busters, but this sequence has transformed my playing. This is pretty basic stuff, but it can get as challenging as you need it to be based on how fast you want to do it, what variations you want to put in it. Regardless for beginner, intermediate, or expert it helps with speed, tone, timing, pretty much all the good stuff. It is important to only use your right hand and then later you can add left handed stuff. This is my first time putting up a video like this so any feedback is appreciated!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Josh Levine For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Right hand cure-all exercise

Guess it would have been helpful to focus the camera on my right hand, huh?

Good stuff, Josh. I find it helpful to work on string crossings too. These John Moore exercises are great. You really have to focus to keep the down ups straight, but they pretty much have every string crossing in every pick stroke combination you might come across in a fiddle tune. No jumps from the first to 4th strings though. http://www.mandozine.com/techniques/...exercises.html
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Good stuff, Josh. I find it helpful to work on string crossings too. These John Moore exercises are great. You really have to focus to keep the down ups straight, but they pretty much have every string crossing in every pick stroke combination you might come across in a fiddle tune. No jumps from the first to 4th strings though. http://www.mandozine.com/techniques/...exercises.html
    Thanks Don. Yes, string crossings are obviously super important. When I first started doing this I would cross strings G-D, G-A, G-E, D-G, etc. But for me it was too tedious and to be honest not as crucial for the style I play (not that it wouldn't help of course.) I think of this as the "lose 50 lbs in a 7 minute workout every day" and some of those string crossing exercises can be exhaustive. It certainly would be possible to add many different variations. And they are out there, this is not anything new. It is probably in pretty much any beginner book at the beginning of the book, but I feel like many people read that page and then move on to playing a song because it is more fun and then a few years down the road they have some bad right hand habits. And by "many people" I mean me as that was my experience. I am guessing many other people may have glossed over that page as well as there have been many posts about right hand, speed, rhythm, etc. I think that this video will be something that may help others in those situations as elementary as it is.

Good to encourage exercises for pick mobility and relaxation in the right hand. I think it’s a more direct method to master pick strokes you encounter in tunes rather than just playing the tunes.

But better lighting would enhance the production value.

Thanks Josh
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

One clarification, you are playing 1e+ 16th notes not 1 da da triplets, keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by mmuussiiccaall View Post
    One clarification, you are playing 1e+ 16th notes not 1 da da triplets, keep it up!
    Thanks for that clarification. Definite still working on all of this stuff myself and a bit rusty.

Good Stuff Josh, and much needed by many (myself for sure)!
    Thanks for posting,
    ��
    jp
    Learnin’....

Its great. If we waited for better lighting, we wouldn't have it at all. I didnt have a computer in my pocket until 5 years ago, I'll live. Thanks for sharing, its good information.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Levine View Post
    Guess it would have been helpful to focus the camera on my right hand, huh?
    I think it really comes down to how many hours of practice you put in over your lifetime.