Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seller’s Remorse - 2008 custom Weber Fern

Default Re: Seller’s Remorse - 2008 custom Weber Fern

Well, that Hamlett will only get better with age...imagine how it will sound in a couple/three years. John used to live some 30 minutes down the road and I declare you could hear his mandolin's chop in the next county; just wonderful projection and balance. And his scroll design is the most graceful there is. Next to the Hamlett, there may be some antis-appointment with the Weber. The heart may be suffering from absence.

If it's meant to be, I would let circumstances bring the Weber back home and would advise not to chase it.

wow, amazing turn of events with all this.
    well, i'll be the dark side advocate. it all sounds very romantic and with promise...........but, there's a lot that could have happened to that mando in all these years. i would expect it will not be in the same shape/condition as how you sold it-meaning i think it will show wear and age, while not always a bad thing, some folks don't take care of instruments as well as you yourself would have. it may have a terrible setup-possibly neck issues you might need to attend with and thats a lot of $ and time on your end to complete this.

i also believe that our tastes can change as the years go by and what you remember about that mando may not impress you now(but flip side it might).

that would be a lot of $ on your end if you do all this, get the Weber in hand, and suddenly "the thrill is gone" or not present as you remember-or the owner doesn't like the NF, then you own a multi thousand dollar mando that you had not planned to buy.

but i understand the pull. i have two Webers that i absolutely love and i would surely miss either one if gone.

its definitely an adventure, makes a dandy story, lots to chance.

my last 2c. my personal thought process on this and what i personally would do at this point:

i would contact bruce weber, tell him about your Weber and if you have a soundclip send him that also. in time, i really believe he would get one in his shop that would be your prize-plus, you could guarantee it would be in fine condition with a fine setup and any issue/work done on it would be fully exposed to you before purchase. and you would have a return option.

if the current owner does plan to come stateside, i would wait for that and meet up with cash in hand, handle and check out the Weber. let the owner go buy his own NF.

reminds me of the time i came in contact with an old girlfriend that i had remembered many times and for many years as being "the one that got away". i was excited and it was like a story book ending was going to happen. we met and it took me about 10 minutes to clearly decern that we both had changed a lot during all those years and she was nothing like what i had worked up in my mind and heart. i quickly removed myself from the whole scene and became a whisp of smoke.

i do wish you the best of luck in whatever direction this path takes you, and most definitely keep us posted on the outcome.

d

3. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

Blog Entries

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for all of this. There is some very good wisdom in your replies, and it is helping me remain grounded. As of now, I'm going to see about the next time he's in the states.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

Playing on the porch

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    The other option is buy the Northfield, one your really like the sound of. Make the trip, it will cost you, but will be a great memory. Play your Weber against the Northfield and pick the best sounding one. Either way you get a trip and memories out of it, and you either get your Weber back, or quit pining for it.

I really like this approach. Being ready to trade for the memory is great, if you have the funds,but knowingthat you will return with something you will be pleased with, no matter what, feels good.

I sure hope this works out for you. I'll admit that I hope to hear that you went for it. What an adventure!
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    1928 Roth violin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1907 Foltz violin

Quote Originally Posted by GMorgan View Post
    What an adventure!
    I agree and I hope I didn't sound too negative before, Kevin. It takes a lot to get me excited these days. But, when I was young I would gladly spend a day driving across four states to look at an automobile that was advertised. If it didn't work out, I had fun anyway just traveling....

Blog Entries

No worries whatsoever. I appreciate you indulging our shared mando-obsession(s).

I'm not sure what the Cafe ethics are on this kind of thing, but I posted this earlier and it serves as the antidote for thinking too much about the Weber:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...t-Review/page2

:-)
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow

If you have the time and money, do it! You come away with a good story at the minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    wow, amazing turn of events with all this.
    well, i'll be the dark side advocate. it all sounds very romantic and with promise...........but, there's a lot that could have happened to that mando in all these years. i would expect it will not be in the same shape/condition as how you sold it-meaning i think it will show wear and age, while not always a bad thing, some folks don't take care of instruments as well as you yourself would have. it may have a terrible setup-possibly neck issues you might need to attend with and thats a lot of $ and time on your end to complete this.

i also believe that our tastes can change as the years go by and what you remember about that mando may not impress you now(but flip side it might).

that would be a lot of $ on your end if you do all this, get the Weber in hand, and suddenly "the thrill is gone" or not present as you remember-or the owner doesn't like the NF, then you own a multi thousand dollar mando that you had not planned to buy.

but i understand the pull. i have two Webers that i absolutely love and i would surely miss either one if gone.

its definitely an adventure, makes a dandy story, lots to chance.

my last 2c. my personal thought process on this and what i personally would do at this point:

i would contact bruce weber, tell him about your Weber and if you have a soundclip send him that also. in time, i really believe he would get one in his shop that would be your prize-plus, you could guarantee it would be in fine condition with a fine setup and any issue/work done on it would be fully exposed to you before purchase. and you would have a return option.

if the current owner does plan to come stateside, i would wait for that and meet up with cash in hand, handle and check out the Weber. let the owner go buy his own NF.

reminds me of the time i came in contact with an old girlfriend that i had remembered many times and for many years as being "the one that got away". i was excited and it was like a story book ending was going to happen. we met and it took me about 10 minutes to clearly decern that we both had changed a lot during all those years and she was nothing like what i had worked up in my mind and heart. i quickly removed myself from the whole scene and became a whisp of smoke.

i do wish you the best of luck in whatever direction this path takes you, and most definitely keep us posted on the outcome.

d
    Very sensible appraisal of the situation Daryl. It would cost a lot less. I am pretty sure that Weber's are like Collings - they can't sound and play that much different. I sold some mandolins that I should never have sold and found equivalent replacements by the same maker. We can often distort the past in our current memory of the situation.
    Nic Gellie

Blog Entries

Hey Everyone….

Appreciate all of the tips and suggestions. It’s been very helpful an I’m happily a bit reeked in from my intercontinental journey. Plus, I haven’t heard back from him since all of this initial communication and that’s is cause for concern.

In regards to the very reasonable suggestions regarding getting a different Fern with the same or similar tone, I want to clarify that while the tone and volume on it are/were exceptional, there is a significant amount of sentimental value with that particular instrument as well. That, and there’s a great one piece back as well as a label signed by Bruce to me, literally with my name on it. So, it’s a bit more than the tone.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow