Thread: OM Setup

Default OM Setup

I have an Eastman MDO305. It was the only one available at the time and came from an unknown, to me, seller in the unopened original factory box. No complaints, I received what was advertised. Now that I have played it for awhile I am thinking about getting it setup.

What should I be looking for in an OM setup? This does not impress me as just a bigger mandolin. Actually, it seems more guitar-like but it does not have the string tension of my big old Gibson J-185. I am sure that this is a well traveled road. Your experiences?

Default Re: OM Setup

To me they are pretty similar, nut height is slightly higher than a mando, and bridge height is determined by string buzz like always, so nothing unusual about an OM that I know of. String tension is whatever you want it to be. The MDO305 really is just a big mando to me, because it uses the same kind of bridge and tailpiece. If it had a guitar-like bridge on it like a GBOM, then it would take (more) work like a guitar does to adjust the bridge.

For that reason I prefer OM's to tenor guitars, because they are easier to work on for setups.

Enjoy your MDO. :-)
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Thanks, I was sort of leaning that way but I got to overthinking things.

With an instrument straight from the box, it can generally have adjustments done at the nut to get a lower string height at the first fret. Fresh from the factory they tend to leave the nut a bit higher so that the new owner can have it set up to personal requirements. similarly, the bridge can be adjusted to check intonation and string height.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores