Thread: Thinking About A Pava

Default Thinking About A Pava

I bought an Eastman 305 fhole about a month or so back and thinking hard on a Pava Astyle. Coming from playing guitar all these years I'm thinking the 1 1/8 inch nut and playability on the Pava will hit the sweet spot for me. I notice the mandolin store is out of the torrified, just don't know what difference it makes.

and I need to sell my 305 and I have a brand new eastman E2 OM that I only played a couple hours that I just don't need either and they're impossible to sell here at Mayberry. Would the mandolin store possibly take these in a trade at wholesale? I bought my 305 from them.

Default Re: Thinking About A Pava

I made a trade with them a couple of years ago. They were more than fair, and it was a super smooth transaction/

Adam

Sell/Trade - they may take them on trade but may not be able to give you much trade credit. If you list at a fair price I think you could sell the 305 in the classified here pretty easy.

I have never played a torrified mandolin so can not comment on that aspect? They have been making mandolins for a long time and mandolins that have been played a lot and opened up sound good. The most sought after mandolins were not torrified?

I has a basic Pava A5 satin mandolin on trial. I had a short time to decide and since it was new it was tough to know how it open up? It was a very nice mandolin with good tone for being new and it was loud. I sent it back though no fault of it mandolin. Sometimes the stars line up and things work out and shortly after I has the opportunity to buy a used Ellis A5. I have has the Ellis for almost a year so can give a fair opinion.

Fit and finish - they are near perfect, truly a work of art
    Playability - from what I remember the Pava had more of a U shape neck, my Ellis has a V shape, neither would be described as chunky. Never cared for a V shaped neck but after playing the Ellis for a while it is the easiest playing mandolin I have ever played. I would expect the same out from the Pava. I was a at camp last month and we passed our mandolins around so we could try other mandolins. I did not play anything I would consider buying as far a playability. I am ruined when playing other mandolins.
    Resale - maybe it is just me but I always consider what the resale ability is when buying something. Few things last forever. There is a strong market for Pava/Ellis mandolins and they seem to hold their value well.

We just had our local bluegrass festival, Bluewaters. It was an Ellis fest. There were two Ellis F5's and an A5 and they all sounded great.

Only you can decide what feels comfortable and if a mandolin has the sound you are looking for. But I would highly endorse anything coming out of the Ellis/Pava shop.

Good luck in the search.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Northwest Steve For This Useful Post:

tks guys and I wish I didn't live so so far away from actually trying out some. I chatted at the mandolin store today and they said the 305 did not have a V neck profile but it sure looks like a V shape to me, if it's not I don't think I wanna see a V. I like the 305 fine but my hand does hurt after playing it awhile and I think I'd prefer the wider nut for comfort, I have long fingers.

I can't imagine not being thrilled by a Pava coming from a 305, but it would be nice to be in a store, put the Pava down and pick up an MT, then a Weber, then a Girouard, but you won't find that kind of variety this side of TMS.

Hands on is so good. I went to TMS when I was taking in spring training one year. I started with a KM 150, worked my way up the KY and Eastman models, then moved on to Northfield, Collings, Weber and Gibson. The harsh reality was that I learned how much money I'd need to make me happy.

But back to Pava. I've played one for a bit as a friend owns one. It comes down to subjectivity. It is certainly a fine sounding mandolin. I've heard it in a small group setting and it came through fine, but my buddy is enamored of the brightness and upper range of my Arches kit in a group. If out of the blue someone sent me one, I'd be very happy.

I wouldn't advise picking up an Ellis unless I was prepared to pay the price.Yikes!
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I was wanting at best to stay in the Pava range as I'm just a couch player nowadays. I've become an introvert in my older years

I went from an eastman 305 to a pava and the difference is night and day. Yes, the pava is much easier to play. It's got a more rounded V shape, not at all chunky like a Kentucky or Weber. It's also got much darker and more complex tone than the Eastman line. For the price of a pava, you really cannot go wrong at all. I've never played a torrefied model so I cannot speak to them, but pava's torrefied a5s are very reasonably priced compared to some other brands.

9. The following members say thank you to Em Tee for this post:

I've about decided to go on and get the Pava torrefied wide nut, gulp. Just hoping it's everything I'm thinking it is...

I used to pay no attention to nut size. I could play them all, but lately every wide nut I've played leaves me cold. Don't know why, but make sure you have a return policy. I remember the first Pava I played really wowed me for its tone.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

12. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

I just spent almost an hour talking with Brian at the mandolin store, he was a tremendous help...I went on and ordered the wide nut torrefied Pava

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CBFrench For This Useful Post:

Perpetually Confused

Congrats! Would love to hear a review once you have it in hand!

16. The following members say thank you to Aldwyn for this post:

tks, I'm super excited to get it, should be here Saturday

The days will never seem as long as they do between now and Saturday...
    congrats.
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

19. The following members say thank you to Russ Donahue for this post:

Plays Well With Others Nate Lee's Avatar

How exciting! I hope you post a video when you get it!
    Nate Lee
    Music Teacher
    Mandolin Player & Twin Fiddler for the Becky Buller Band.
    Proud owner of Pava mandolins #83 & #194
    www.TheNateLee.com
    www.PlayNately.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Lee View Post
    How exciting! I hope you post a video when you get it!
    tks Nate, watched your vids, a mighty tasteful player you are. I'm new to the mandolin, 68 and played guitar since I was 10 but I've just become obsessed with the mandolin and spending a lot of time practicing both mandolin and acoustic. Just started taking Joe K Walsh lessons and learned more in a few days that I did in the month since I bought my Eastman and hated to see it go as I thought it had a really nice tone.

Good for you sir! I played a torrified Collings a couple months back and really liked it. Pava has a great reputation so I hope you enjoy it. +1 on Joe Walsh's course!

Plays Well With Others Nate Lee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CBFrench View Post
    tks Nate, watched your vids, a mighty tasteful player you are. I'm new to the mandolin, 68 and played guitar since I was 10 but I've just become obsessed with the mandolin and spending a lot of time practicing both mandolin and acoustic. Just started taking Joe K Walsh lessons and learned more in a few days that I did in the month since I bought my Eastman and hated to see it go as I thought it had a really nice tone.
    Thank you! I'm happy you enjoyed the videos and my playing. I'm getting back into doing YouTube videos, so keep an eye on my channel. Joe is such a great player and I'm happy to hear you're learning from him! I can't wait to hear your new mando!
    Nate Lee
    Music Teacher
    Mandolin Player & Twin Fiddler for the Becky Buller Band.
    Proud owner of Pava mandolins #83 & #194
    www.TheNateLee.com
    www.PlayNately.com

Quote Originally Posted by CBFrench View Post
    I just spent almost an hour talking with Brian at the mandolin store, he was a tremendous help...I went on and ordered the wide nut torrefied Pava
    I bought a Pava as my second mandolin from TMS - I still love it 3 years later. Mine is regular nut (but I have very small hands) and regular wood, but fit and finish is superb, and I do not regret the purchase price at all. I hope you love yours too.

Congratulations on your new Pava! I bought a Satin A a year ago and love it. It has a beautiful finish, very well made, and has the tone that I was looking for. My Pava A has a V Shape neck, which is comfortable to my hand. Keep us posted on your new Pava!
    Kentucky KM-1050 2021
    Pava Satin A 2018 #272
    Gibson A 1916 #25861 FON 2626

Can you make a video?

You will love your new Pava ! Closest you can get to an Ellis !

Quote Originally Posted by KoalaBear View Post
    Can you make a video?
    There's plenty video's of the Pava on the net and made with lots better recording means than an iPhone and lot better players...I do record lots of things I practice on. I've only been finding my way around on the mandolin a little over a month, so trying to find major/minor etc chords in at least 3 different positions each. I have worked on a handful of tunes. Besides trying to find my way around I do play along with tunes here and there so I have nothing to brag about and wouldn't even if I did ha but seriously there's some good videos around from different music stores and Pava that will give you a good idea about the instrument or as good as you can get by listening over a computer speaker.

There's just so many quality makers around these days and some really fine instruments made and I could have went with several builders in the Pava price range but took a chance and bought the Pava unplayed and have no regrets. It sounds and plays great and everything I was looking for, so in my case I got exactly what I needed.

29. The following members say thank you to CBFrench for this post: