Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: looking to move, but I have no clue where ?.

Default Re: looking to move, but I have no clue where ?.

Life is a tradeoff. Lose pastrami, gain BBQ.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Pennsylvania has come up twice in this thread.
    One of my friends moved from New York State ( Finger Lake area) to Erie, PA.
    My friend moved to Erie for two reasons : close to Grandkids and close to Cleveland Clinic.
    The downside is snow.
    My friend reports that his cost of living is significantly lower in Pennsylvania compared to New York
    We have been pout to visit and it is a very nice area.

Joseph Baker

So, the elephant in the room is a job and medical insurance. If these are not a concern then literally you have the whole world available to you.

Places I have lived that I liked: Austin, TX; San Antonio, TX (I loved it my wife couldn’t get out fast enough); Monterey, CA (crowded and spendy now); Portland, OR where I now live. Branching out, add Munich, Germany to the list. Friends give Paris and Naples high marks.

Not so high on my list but loved by others: Columbus, GA (in the Army at the time, that should say it all); Asbury Park, NJ (too crowded). Bend, OR is quite popular among the upscale set. Lots of cultural activities. Bring cash and lots of it.

Have you had surgery?Why do you have to be close to hospital?

There’s Ann Arbor. East Lansing there will be snow but, the up side is Elderly!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

yes I had surgery did not work that well for me. now my new gastro doctor wants me to get more surgery before I get any older. I just feel all beat up, inside & outside. I feel like I am at war with my own body & I am running out of ammo. just like that movie about pork chop hill, I am getting to tried fight. thanks for asking mandostew

Blog Entries

Suburban Philadelphia may fit the bill. Hospitalwise, we have University of Penn (literally saved my wife's life) and Jefferson. The burbs are more affordable and while getting into (any) city can be a pain, once you get past rush hour, it's not so bad. You have a farily decent music scene. You're not far from Delaware and Mike Bromberg's violin shop. And as far as the Arts go, there are tons of world class museums and venues in Philly.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

9. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Tennessee could be a reasonable choice. Vanderbilt in Nashville has a highly regarded medical center. University of Tennessee in Knoxville is also very well respected. And Knoxville ranks in the top 50 of best places to live according to U.S. News & World Report.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/...ng/3410198002/

I now live in Colorado, but I advise anyone who is considering a move here to do quite a bit of research. It’s a beautiful state and if a person enjoys the outdoors, Colorado has a lot to offer. The state has a very lively music scene and other terrific cultural offerings. And Colorado has become a melting pot of diverse cultures and ethnicities. But there are trade-offs. It’s expensive to live here. In some areas, like the Denver–Boulder metro, housing can be difficult to come by and what is available is unaffordable for many. The medical arena is about average, with the exception of National Jewish, which is a nationally top-ranked medical facility for respiratory diseases. That said, the population continues to grow, much to the distaste of “natives.”

I guess I would prioritize my needs first. Get the operation over with, from a doctor/hospital you like. THEN, after you are healed, ask yourself:
    1. Do I need to be close to kids/grandkids? Or not?
    2. Do I want to downsize?
    3. Do I want to get away from snow/cold weather and how badly?
    4. Can I do without favorite foods/culture?
    5. Would I be happy in a small village, let's say an hour from a major city?

Anyway, those kind of questions. Nowadays, internet is everywhere. Online shopping is everywhere. Cable is everywhere. ATM's are everywhere. Online banking is everywhere. Those kind of questions are no longer an issue.

I second the South, having made the move from the North 30 years ago. FIRST, you won't believe how much cheaper everything is. Property tax will be 20 percent of what you are paying AND THAT is on a house that cost you 20 percent of what one would cost in New York.....or less. TRUE, you can't buy good pizza or bagels in the South, but there are Southern specialities you may develop a taste for. Yes, there is culture shock, but not as much today as even 30 years ago. I am noticing kids today don't even have as strong of accents as they had 30 years ago -- due to? cable? internet? pop culture? The Kardashians? So, it is do-able. I came for the music, especially the Blues, which was like going back in time to the 30's. I am glad I got to see it performed in a real juke joint.....

AND, no snow!

Anyway, everyplace has its pluses and minuses, so.................GOOD LUCK!

Question Re: looking to move, but I have no clue where ?.

For Medical needs how about Rochester, MN ?

Mayo Clinic has 2 other places in the retirement states of Fla & Az.

Or a country with better healthcare ?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

South Africa has some very good hospitals with insanely cheaper prices than the US, I actually know someone who flew to Cape town from the states to get surgery, because it was cheaper than getting the surgery in America. Now, there's no music scene to speak of.....
    Mandolin: Kentucky KM150
    Other instruments: way too many, and yet, not nearly enough.

My blog: https://theoffgridmusician.music.blog/
    My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChF...yWuaTrtB4YORAg
    My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/africanbanjogunnar/
    Free backing tracks:
    https://backingtrackers.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin tony View Post
    yes I had surgery did not work that well for me. now my new gastro doctor wants me to get more surgery before I get any older. I just feel all beat up, inside & outside. I feel like I am at war with my own body & I am running out of ammo. just like that movie about pork chop hill, I am getting to tried fight. thanks for asking mandostew
    Don’t give up.I know how you feel.Two years ago I had a double transplant(heart and kidney)I live 60 miles from Manhattan in Warwick NY and it is a great country town with lots of open farmland.Plenty of music around and I play in a band.My hospital is 50 miles away,but there is good one 20 miles.There are hospitals close but they are grade B and I stay away from them.I have a good gastro doctor here but the others are in Bergen county 20 miles.Maybe travel around Hudson valley area and look around.

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    Suburban Philadelphia may fit the bill. Hospitalwise, we have University of Penn (literally saved my wife's life) and Jefferson. The burbs are more affordable and while getting into (any) city can be a pain, once you get past rush hour, it's not so bad. You have a farily decent music scene. You're not far from Delaware and Mike Bromberg's violin shop. And as far as the Arts go, there are tons of world class museums and venues in Philly.

Jamie
    Jamie is making a good point. The greater Philadelphia/Wilmington area has a lot going for it.

I moved from New England to be near Philly for four years (Vet school for my wife). That was forty years ago. We'll never leave. I am in a very rural, agricultural part of Southern NJ. Very quite and peaceful, but Philly is only one hour away and Wilmington DE is about a half hour. I really have the best of both worlds.

Still, why just guess? Why not get yourself a small camper of some sort and do an extended road trip, or a few shorter ones, and check all these places out? You are getting great suggestions here. You'd probably have a great time, you could hook up with a bunch of us Cafe friends along the way for some good picking, and you could make a choice based on your own experiences.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best with this adventure. It is great to continue to be adventurous even as we age. Go for it!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Martin View Post
    Do NOT move to Colorado, it is awful. Weather is terrible, people are miserable, music scene is lousy. The doctors are quacks. I am telling everyone I can to not move here.

I wish you well.
    That's exactly how I feel about Texas.

Alas, it hasn't stopped them from flooding the state.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Hall View Post
    There's a large medical community in Durham/Chapel Hill NC (Duke and UNC) and a whole lot of acoustic music happening on most every day of the week, year-round.
    I was going to suggest Charlotte, since everyone else in NYC has relocated there.
    2012 Weber Bitterroot F5.

Rochester NY:

Plus: Great medical facilities; U of R/Strong Hospital is one of the best in the country
    Easy access to a wide variety of mandolins etc. -- Bernunzio's, Stutzman's, Bernie Lehmann...
    Decent local music scene
    Cheap real estate -- many good houses under $200K

Minus:100+ inches of snow annually
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Southeast Ma. Pick a town any town and you'll have it all. Natural beauty, culture, history, and the best hospitals in the world 45 minutes away.

Take a good look at Pittsburgh. We have a great medical center with university of Pittsburgh medical center, a low cost of living and a mandolin orchestra. https://www.pittsburghmandolinorchestra.com/

Canada, Nova Scotia, Cape Breton Island perhaps ? .. trad music scene is doing well there, I hear
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Wade View Post
    Western Pa. The Acoustic Music Works is one of the best instrument stores for Mandolins and guitars, a healthy bluegrass scene , some of the best hospitals in the country, and low cost real estate. I like it.
    Agree! Grew up outside of Pgh., there’s a strong Italian American community, easy to navigate City, and, 10 miles outside of downtown: total rural, wooded neighborhoods, unbelievably affordable. Of course, I live in LA, so everywhere else seems affordable to me…

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Just another vote for Richmond, Virginia!

Yes, it's a great place!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I'd second the Triangle in North Carolina. Very diverse population, especially in Durham, which is a burgeoning foodie town. Cary is sometimes referred to as "Containment ARea for Yankees", and our main concern when sending our kids to school in Durham was whether they would develop a New York or New Joisey accent. Duke and UNC are great medical centers. Lots of entertainment options and lots of music. Relatively low housing costs and real estate taxes vs NY. Mild winters. Summers not that much hotter or more humid than the Midwest - just last longer. Most hurricanes get filtered out before they reach us...

Oh yeah, too many people moving in here; don't think about it.

For a strong Bluegrass flavor, head on down to Metro Asheville, NC area, Mission Hospital in downtown AVL will tend to your needs.