Thread: comparing Eastman Mandola's

Default comparing Eastman Mandola's

There's two models, the MDA315 and the MDA815. the 815 is $900 more. has anybody played both of these and can tell me any difference in tone or volume? is the 815 worth the extra money? to be honest I actually prefer the look of the 315 particularity the fingerboard, I like that sloped look over the florida. not to mention the price tag. but tone and volume matter more. if there's not much difference I'd obviously rather go easy on the credit card. if there's a noticeable improvement in tone and volume, I'd rather just get the 815, even if it means holding off a bit. Thanks for the help!

Default Re: comparing Eastman Mandola's

I've got an Eastman 615 mandola, it plays and sounds excellent, typical deep rumbling mandola sound.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

With most Eastman stuff, the higher the number the more bling and possibly better hardware, and, oh yes, a free apostrophe!

Unfortunately, you really need to play both to compare. My 315 mandolin sounds better than a several of the 615 and 815s I’ve played, but the tuners, bridge, and tailpiece (mine’s the older stamped one) are cost saving measures. Functional, but def budget parts. The higher numbers mean better hardware, prettier woods, etc, but not necessarily better tone/volume. I would assume that holds for their mandolas as well...
    Chuck

When I bought my MDA 615 (since traded on my Stahl), I played an 815 and decided the 615 sounded better, though it wasn't as fancily appointed. As CES states, you need to get one of each and do a hands-on comparison -- if that's possible.

And remember, that's only comparing two individual instruments. Generalizing to all 315's vs. 815's is risky; each mandolin is, to some extent, unique, especially acoustically. You can compare specs -- hardware, finish, wood graining, whatever -- but that only gets you part-way there.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Played the 315 in the local store, and some days I'd dig it, but mostly it didn't feel worth the money. Took a chance on a used 815 online, it should be here tomorrow... can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by mojocaster View Post
    Played the 315 in the local store, and some days I'd dig it, but mostly it didn't feel worth the money. Took a chance on a used 815 online, it should be here tomorrow... can't wait.
    Please make sure to update us on your thoughts about this used 815

Thanks
    Don
    Eastman MD-305 Left Handed Version
    Pick....Dunlop JD Jazz Tone 207 (for today anyway)

67.4 % of all statistics are made up !

8. The following members say thank you to Don Roon for this post:

Will do!

Although based on the tracking info, I sort of doubt the actual delivery date. But I am keeping a hopeful and positive attitude about it

This is a picture, courtesy of the seller:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-12.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	181946
    Last edited by mojocaster; Dec-14-2019 at 10:25am.

I had an early 815 in their violin finish - it was a steal because it didn't pass quality control - the highest fret marker was on the 14th fret. I didn't notice until several months after the purchase. With the right strings and set up it had a great sound. Some days I wish I hadn't sold it, but didn't play it enough to warrant keeping it around & needed to make room for one more case.