Thread: Tuner replacements

Mandolin addicted...So? Pete Counter's Avatar

Default Tuner replacements

can anyone tell me if the Grover 309 F style tuning machines are a direct replacement for my Kentucky KM1500? Thanks!

Default Re: Tuner replacements

I tried looking up the specs but didn't see them on Saga's website. If the tuners are the same ones (and I think they are) they use to use on the KM-Dawg back in the day, I replaced those with a set of Waverly tuners and they fit without replacing the bushings. That tells me the post spacing is the same as the waverly tuners. Looking at the Stewmac website, the waverly tuners and the grover 309 tuners have the same post hole spacing. So following the logic "if a=b and c=b then a=c", I think you are at least OK with the post hole spacing. And that, is the biggest issue. You may have to drill a couple new pilot holes for the screws. I think the post diameters are OK too.

Peace,
    Todd
    ========================
    2012 Gibson F5 Master Model
    2019 Northfield F5 Artist 5 Bar
    2019 Northfield Arched Octave Maple
    2020 Northfield F5 4.0

I've been considering the 309's to replace the really slopping gears on my F5L. I wish the Grovers had slot screws (like mine) in the gear as well as slot screws for the plates. I suspect getting slot screws for the plates would be easier than finding threaded slot heads for the gears. I guess i'd want slots for the buttons while I'm thinking about it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibson F5L tuners.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	776.1 KB 
ID:	179082   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grover 309FVG.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	179083  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

The spacing on the posts should be the standard .906" (23.01 mm). You need to know if they are worm over or worm under. You may need to drill some new screw holes and the plate will hopefully hide any holes that you're not using. The biggest thing to check on the Grovers is the length of the shaft on the worm gear to the button. They are on the shorter side and if the holes are drilled for longer tuners like the Gotoh's the button might hit on the top tuner on each side. You might find that the bushings are a different size.

Here are the Grover measurements from the Stewmac website:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grover_F-Style_309_Mandolin_Tuning_Machines.jpg.gif 
Views:	109 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	179089  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    I've been considering the 309's to replace the really slopping gears on my F5L. I wish the Grovers had slot screws (like mine) in the gear as well as slot screws for the plates. I suspect getting slot screws for the plates would be easier than finding threaded slot heads for the gears. I guess i'd want slots for the buttons while I'm thinking about it.
    The gear screws are generally easier than the button screws. I don't have a set to check on but I did go through this for Gotoh's. Regular hardware stores had the screws for the cog. The problem with getting the right screws for the button is the round head with the slot. You can get the cheese head but the round head is not readily available.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Aug-17-2019 at 8:53pm.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post: