Thread: Satin NC lacquer how to advice needed

Default Satin NC lacquer how to advice needed

Customer wants a satin Weber Gallatin-like finish. Never done anything but gloss. Will be using Mohawk products and have some guidance from their docs, but am not sure whether I should spray several build coats w/o flattening paste first to retain clarity.
    Will do some experiments on scrap first, but any advice would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks!

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Default Re: Satin NC lacquer how to advice needed

I have done satin finishes using 10% gloss lacquer. Three double coats, let sit overnight, then a scuff back with 400grit paper to get rid of any bits and then a couple of coats with straight thinners. Repeat if necessary. Very simple and very quick.

Cheers

3. The following members say thank you to Graham McDonald for this post:

If painting a stain finish, then dont use gloss at all for any of the stages, nothing worse than doing a final rub down to have areas of gloss amongst the satin finish.

Stay satin from start to finish, my satin finishes i still give a light buff at the end to remove any sanding marks

Steve

5. The following members say thank you to mirwa for this post:

I add flattener (silica powder) to my usual (Mohawk) nitro. Some finishers spray regular gloss lacquer first and only add flattener to the final coats, but I normally use small amounts of flattener in all coats, adding more for the last coats. I leave the final coat alone, it is "off the gun"; no buffing, no rubbing. That requires a very clean spray; no dust, no gnats, no finisher-generated problems. It is very difficult without a clean, proper spray room with a good exhaust fan and filtered air to the booth.
    Getting the right amount of flattener requires several tests on scrap. Add a little, test spray, add more until you get the amount of sheen you want. If you weigh or carefully measure the components and record the results you can have a repeatable mix.

7. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Rub it out with Rottenstone.

9. The following members say thank you to violinvic for this post: