Thread: Luke combs even though I'm leaving

Default Luke combs even though I'm leaving

I love the mandolin riff in this tune. Is anybody else working on it or maybe have it tabbed out? I have most of It down but can't get the fill on the bm just right. It looks like he is just playing chord tones for the d then sliding up to the bm and playing those chord tones. After that is where I am having trouble putting it together. There is a slide up to the 9th fret but I just can't nail it. Driving me crazy!

Default Re: Luke combs even though I'm leaving

You mean where he comes in at about 2:17? Nice song.
    Last edited by Elliot Luber; Aug-12-2019 at 7:29pm. Reason: adding short statement.

The first 3 bars or so of the intro. He also uses it later in the song. I didn't get to that little solo yet. That is some nice mandolin work. I was having trouble with that second slide up and figuring out where he goes on the fret board. I did raise my bridge slightly and it helped to pronounce the slide better. Maybe I am over thinking it

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Mandotrucking View Post
    ... chord tones for the d then sliding up to the bm ...
    Not that I'm working on figuring it out 'cause I'm not, but some theory might help ...

Keep in mind that D and Bm are "relative" major & minor chords, sharing 2 of their three notes, and are sometimes easy substitutes for each other, plus a source of soloing notes over each other. (FWIW, D6 and Bm7 use all four of the same notes.) So don't let any "difference" between D and Bm limit your choice of notes, because they're VERY closely related. What you're hearing could just be a higher inversion of the D notes, played over a Bm background.

And yeah, neat song!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Yes that is very helpful. You could hear how natural the transition is, but you just spelled out the science behind it. I am sure I can put it together, I am slowly moving away from tabs and figuring things out on my own (with the help of others!) Relative chords are something I need to learn better. I think this song is a good exercise in that and the use of chord tones. Btw I love the quote at the bottom of your post lol!