Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Woodstock

Default Re: Woodstock

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    I would think Levon might have played some mandolin during The Band's set, but I've never heard it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    No, just drums.
    I found this:
    http://blog.bethelwoodscenter.org/20...e-26-the-band/
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Helm-Robertson-Manuel-reversed.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	179056
    Levon Helm then came out from behind the drum kit (Richard Manuel taking his place), and with mandolin in hand he performed the goofy and fun “Don’t Ya Tell Henry,” a Bob Dylan song they had recorded with him during the demo sessions in the basement at Big Pink. This was followed by a soulful rendition of the traditional “Ain’t No More Cane,” a traditional song that emerged from the harsh environment of early twentieth century Southern prisons.

I don't hear any mando during "Don't Ya Tell Henry," but I do hear a little during "Ain't No More Cane." What little amount you would expect to hear from an otherwise unamplified mando being held up to the mic like in the photo.

Noticeable right at start and ~2:42 in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by BeanJean View Post
    Six of us went in two vw bugs. I got put in the back seat of one because I’m little. Unknown to me a car battery had been transported on the back seat and some acid had spilled and dried on the seat. It was a long ride from Pittsburgh to Woodstock and I got dried acid on various parts of my clothes.
    Actually the battery on a VW Bug was under the back seat. This was a pretty common occurrence. You didn't have to spill it, it was already there. I drove a 64 bug for years. As a matter of fact I think I saw the movie in Portland, Oregon in a drive-in in that same car. I remember the movie and who I saw it with. To be honest, I hated crowds so I can say if I lived on the east coast like I do now I wouldn't have been there.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

That was the day I discovered that my parents were pretty smart. I had planned to be at Woodstock, although I was 13 and not sure exactly how to get to New York from Georgia. The parents had a different idea, which was to take a family vacation to the west coast (picture the Chevy Chase movie - station wagon, trailer and all), so I was about as far away from NY as one could be when I heard on the radio that Woodstock was under way. A year or so later some friends snuck me in to the movie at a drive inn by closing me in the spare tire compartment of a VW bus. The movie was rated "R" at the time. I did go to the Second Atlanta Pop Festival in July 1970. I read recently that it holds the record for the largest event gathering of people in Georgia - close to 500,000.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

I'm amazed how many of my age cohort here on the forum managed to attend. Although maybe I shouldn't be, with the natural progression from playing Rock music to more acoustic music and then a chance to discover mandolin later in life and end up here.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences, whether you made it there or not. A salute and a virtual tip of the hat from one who didn't make it (salute!).

Another door to that era closed today with Peter Fonda's death. The Easy Rider soundtrack was another musical highlight of those times.

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post

Name:	20190816_151533.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	179046
    And they never collected my ticket..
    That’s exactly right, by the time the four of us got there after a 3-4 mile trek (over 3-4 hours time), the 7 foot fences were trampled and no one was entering through gates, everyone was stepping over and on the fences and walking straight in. We bought three-day tickets, I think they were $18 bucks.

Legend has it there are roughly 5-6 million people who claim they were there. I’ve not stumbled on one single person in my life that actually attended besides me and my three buds...so I’m somewhat surprised at the number of folks here who did.
    Last edited by mtucker; Aug-17-2019 at 7:41am.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Didn't make it either. Stuck in Great Lakes Naval Hospital recovering from a vacation in sunny Southeast Asia. But I woulda if I coulda.
    Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    In my Last Year of 4, in the US Navy, stationed in Brooklyn, had weekend liberty,
    with 400,000 going,

It was surprisingly easy to get there and back to be on time ,
    to muster in on Monday back in Brooklyn..
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Adams View Post
    I was on my way to Vietnam. I think I was in SERE School at the time.
    Thank you for your service.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FLATROCK HILL For This Useful Post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Regretfully no. But my younger brother, who would soon "win" a big #2 in the first draft lottery, did get there.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    Santana was unknown outside the Bay area at that time. . . .
    At the time of Woodstock? The Dead weren't real big here in the east yet, but Santana was wildly popular. You'd hear "Oye Como Va" and "Black Magic Woman" everywhere, and almost all my friends with record players had a well-worn Santana LP.

Quote Originally Posted by mtucker View Post
    . . . Legend has it there are roughly 5-6 million people who claim they were there. I’ve not stumbled on one single person in my life that actually attended besides me and my three buds...so I’m somewhat surprised at the number of folks here who did.
    I've met lots of folks who were there. Half my high school friends were. Why lie?

. . . Levon Helm then came out from behind the drum kit (Richard Manuel taking his place), and with mandolin in hand he performed the goofy and fun “Don’t Ya Tell Henry,” a Bob Dylan song they had recorded with him during the demo sessions in the basement at Big Pink. . . .
    Wow. Well, there's plenty I don't remember. Let's just add that to the list.

I sit corrected . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    Looks like Santana was the bargain of the bunch.
    Melanie says she still hasn't gotten paid and neither have some of the other artists.

At the time of Woodstock? The Dead weren't real big here in the east yet, but Santana was wildly popular. You'd hear "Oye Como Va" and "Black Magic Woman" everywhere, and almost all my friends with record players had a well-worn Santana LP.
    Santana's debut album wasn't released until 2 weeks after Woodstock.

The Dead had headlined Fri/Sat at the Fillmore East just in June.

I wasn't at Woodstock, but went to the Dallas Pop Festival two weeks later. Saw Janis Joplin, Canned Heat, Santana, and others.

16. The following members say thank you to David L for this post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeanJean View Post
    Six of us went in two vw bugs. I got put in the back seat of one because I’m little. Unknown to me a car battery had been transported on the back seat and some acid had spilled and dried on the seat. It was a long ride from Pittsburgh to Woodstock and I got dried acid on various parts of my clothes.

When we got there we were low on gas and were afraid of not finding more. We decided to walk in. We walked and when it rained the battery acid reactivated and my clothes began to disintegrate. A kind soul gave me two trash bags and I made them into a blouse and skirt. That’s what I wore to Woodstock.

It was hard to get near the stage but the music I heard was fantastic. I also remember being hungry and unable to find the food kitchen. I remember standing in a long line to drink from a garden hose on the side of a house. I made my way back to the car and slept in it.

So it was a very mixed experience but I’m glad I went but I sure was glad to leave.
    So you really were on acid at Woodstock.....
    Living’ in the Mitten

18. The following members say thank you to Steve Ostrander for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    So you really were on acid at Woodstock.....
    Adds new meaning to that term
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Name:	20190819_220724.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	179123
    So, the latest issue of my AARP magazine arrived today and look who's on the cover...some kind of irony there....
    2017 Ellis F5 Special #438

Quote Originally Posted by NursingDaBlues View Post
    I wasn’t there.

I actually didn’t know anything about it until the festival was taking place, and only then because of the news coverage. None of my friends had a clue either.

Later discussions with these friends pretty much solidified the thought that we would have gone had we only known about it. However, we weren’t sure what New York’s reaction would be to a caravan of pick-up trucks filled with Jax Beer fueled college boys from Louisiana.
    You would have fit right in - and gone home psychedelicized.

On the way up, we picked up a couple of Tennessee mountain hippies whose truck had broken down. There was just barely enough room in the International Scout we were driving up in. All I remember about them was that they were gigantic. We all thought: It figures. Little hippies probably don't last long in the Smokies.

At the time, I'd never heard of Steve "Saint Steven" Gaskin's Farm, so it didn't occur to me to ask if that's where they hailed from. The odds were that they were either from the Farm or had friends there.

22. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

Santana's debut album wasn't released until 2 weeks after Woodstock.

The Dead had headlined Fri/Sat at the Fillmore East just in June.
    Re Santana: Really? I didn't realized that. In the words of Leon Fullerton, "Shows what time will do to the truth."

It makes me wonder, though. I was certainly familiar with the music they played. Where would I have heard it, if not on the radio or on friends' stereos?

Re the Dead: Yup, I saw them at the Fillmore a few times, myself. I didn't mean they weren't playing the east coast yet. I was just saying that at that point they weren't very well-known or popular compared with, say, their friends Joplin or Airplane, who were getting constant airplay.

Blog Entries

I remember as kid in the early 90's when they played the Woodstock movie on TV a bunch and I thought it was great, I'm sure I annoyed my parents playing the Woodstock records over and over! Me being a huge DOORS fan at the time I was like really no Doors at Woodstock! Also being a young Deadhead was bummed they weren't on the record but later learned the sound was all jacked up for their set and they kept getting electrocuted or something along those lines? My friends step dad went and said it was great but the highlight was staying and catching the entire Hendrix set closing out the show! Later learned they put Hendrix on last so they wouldn't have another Monterey Pop issue as who wanted to go on after Jimi! I bet Pete Townsend was crying the blues as he couldn't handle a candle to even Jimi's pick! Sorry never liked the Who-to me no hard core talent like Hendrix, well that could be said about a whole load of bands/guitarists back then IMHO, Jimi was just plain and simple gnarly! Clarence also but that's a whole other flavor indeed. In the words of Clapton towards Hendrix as he's shaking his hands in awe "Is he really that ****** good! Yes he was!

25. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    I remember as kid in the early 90's when they played the Woodstock movie on TV a bunch and I thought it was great, I'm sure I annoyed my parents playing the Woodstock records over and over! Me being a huge DOORS fan at the time I was like really no Doors at Woodstock! Also being a young Deadhead was bummed they weren't on the record but later learned the sound was all jacked up for their set and they kept getting electrocuted or something along those lines? My friends step dad went and said it was great but the highlight was staying and catching the entire Hendrix set closing out the show! Later learned they put Hendrix on last so they wouldn't have another Monterey Pop issue as who wanted to go on after Jimi! I bet Pete Townsend was crying the blues as he couldn't handle a candle to even Jimi's pick! Sorry never liked the Who-to me no hard core talent like Hendrix, well that could be said about a whole load of bands/guitarists back then IMHO, Jimi was just plain and simple gnarly! Clarence also but that's a whole other flavor indeed. In the words of Clapton towards Hendrix as he's shaking his hands in awe "Is he really that ****** good! Yes he was!
    Amen to all this, Brother. You sure we didn't grow up together? Except I might be a lot older. I was a kid in the 60's.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

27. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post

Name:	20190816_151533.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	179046
    And they never collected my ticket..
    Nice! I have a couple of friends who still have their tickets. One has his framed. Last week, the other friend told me about his. I said it was valuable. He was amazed. (And pleased.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    So, today Aug. 15 is the 50th. anniversary of the first day of Woodstock in 1969. I believe I made a similar post 10 years ago for the 40th. anniversary, so we'll see if 10 years later we get any hits. By the way, there is a mandolin connection, as the Incredible String Band played a mandolin at Woodstock. My question is: Is there anybody on this website that was actually at Woodstock? I myself was at boot camp for the US Coast Guard in Cape May N.J. and read about the festival in the Philidelphia newspaper. Anybody else?
    I would have been but Uncle Sam thought I would serve a better purpose in Vietnam !

30. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

CES 

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    Jimi and Pete were friends (see Lambert and Stamp), but Pete knew they were different kinds of talents. That's what sent him in the Tommy direction. He wanted to do something different with the guitar.

Pete was also the original punk, not a flower power guy at all (he smashed Tommy Smothers' guitar!), so the Woodstock sensibility was wasted on him.

I go along with Jerry Garcia's concise assessment: "I love that guy!"

(I love the Doors, too.)

(I love the Doors, too.)
    I can actually remember the moment when I first heard the Doors as a kid, when they first got East coast radio play. I remember reacting to it and really listening, thinking that this is something different. I loved it.

I was a radio addict as a kid and I suppose I still am. Radio was a big part of my life and development. AM, then FM (much, much more), and then even short wave. I could get the Boston FM stations and heard some great music from them. I actually found a small short wave radio as a kid, as it sat on the side of the road, playing away (weird times) and that opened a whole new listening world for me (literally).

Anyway, this is a long way from the thread's topic, but it is the same era. Radio was a different thing then, especially FM. I really think it allowed a bunch of bands to reach audiences they never would have otherwise reached. It sure turned me on to a lot of great music. The Doors were part of that gateway drug.
    Last edited by Bob Clark; Aug-21-2019 at 8:28am.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

33. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post: