Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Woodstock

Default Re: Woodstock

I was overseas at the time and didn't even know about it until much later. Armed forces radio didn't like us to hear about fun things back home. Missed the Wadena Rock Fest the next year too as I was still on the other side of the world. Wadena is close to home and a friend of mine played. Did make it to the Crater Fest in Hawaii in 1971 tho, that was a trip.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    I can actually remember the moment when I first heard the Doors as a kid, when they first got East coast radio play. I remember reacting to it and really listening, thinking that this is something different. I loved it.

I was a radio addict as a kid and I suppose I still am. Radio was a big part of my life and development. AM, then FM (much, much more), and then even short wave. I could get the Boston FM stations and heard some great music from them. I actually found a small short wave radio as a kid, as it sat on the side of the road, playing away (weird times) and that opened a whole new listening world for me (literally).

Anyway, this is a long way from the thread's topic, but it is the same era. Radio was a different thing then, especially FM. I really think it allowed a bunch of bands to reach audiences they never would have otherwise reached. It sure turned me on to a lot of great music. The Doors were part of that gateway drug.
    +1

For me in the 60s and early 70s, it was WLS (John Landecker) out of Chicago and KAAY (Beaker Street with Clyde Clifford) out of Little Rock. Both 100,000 watt AM stations. Both introduced me to music that was simply unavailable in rural Louisiana.

Last night I heard a very good Woodstock documentary on public radio hosted by Arlo Guthrie. Lots of good details concerning permits, renting the land, investors, banks, and, of course, the artists. It sounds like Richie Havens didn't want to go first, but they needed an acoustic act because they were still working out the PA details. Havens said the song's intro was so long because he was trying to figure out what to sing......

Quote Originally Posted by NursingDaBlues View Post
    +1

For me in the 60s and early 70s, it was WLS (John Landecker) out of Chicago and KAAY (Beaker Street with Clyde Clifford) out of Little Rock. Both 100,000 watt AM stations. Both introduced me to music that was simply unavailable in rural Louisiana.
    WLS in Iowa for me too, until around 68 when I went into the service. There was a DJ before John, Dick Biondi, who I listened to mostly, till he got let go.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Last night I heard a very good Woodstock documentary on public radio hosted by Arlo Guthrie. Lots of good details concerning permits, renting the land, investors, banks, and, of course, the artists. It sounds like Richie Havens didn't want to go first, but they needed an acoustic act because they were still working out the PA details. Havens said the song's intro was so long because he was trying to figure out what to sing......
    Didn’t think I wanted to hear any more,but that was good.Plus all the new tapes that are being released.