Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Woodstock

In Illinois, halfway between here and there.

Default Re: Woodstock

Didn't make it either. Stuck in Great Lakes Naval Hospital recovering from a vacation in sunny Southeast Asia. But I woulda if I coulda.
    Peace

2. The following members say thank you to Ken for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Yeah I was 16 and living in SoCal … I did see it as a first run movie. I had to go to L.A. as it was not shown in Orange County. . . .R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I was 18 and hitchhiked from Pittsburgh Pa. I had even bought a ticket. I don’t recall any mandolin being played but then I don’t remember all of the details of that week but I guess that’s not unusual for many attendees.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    I would think Levon might have played some mandolin during The Band's set. . . .
    No, just drums. (Just? That's like saying Hendrix just played guitar!)

I went to high school in a New York suburb, so going was no sweat. Seemed like half my class was there.

6. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Wade View Post
    I was 18 and hitchhiked from Pittsburgh Pa. I had even bought a ticket. I don’t recall any mandolin being played . . . .
    I do remember a uke. Country Joe's guitar buddy Barry "the Fish" Melton burned one on stage.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie Bernstein For This Useful Post:

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

I wasn’t there.

I actually didn’t know anything about it until the festival was taking place, and only then because of the news coverage. None of my friends had a clue either.

Later discussions with these friends pretty much solidified the thought that we would have gone had we only known about it. However, we weren’t sure what New York’s reaction would be to a caravan of pick-up trucks filled with Jax Beer fueled college boys from Louisiana.

I was 11 at the time so it was a definite no-go. But, man, I sure would have loved to hear Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young live performance.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Assuming this is true.
    Looks like Santana was the bargain of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    Looks like Santana was the bargain of the bunch.
    Santana was unknown outside the Bay area at that time. Woodstock helped put them on the map and propelled them to the greatness that followed. Don't know if anyone saw the PBS special on Woodstock awhile ago. It was a behind the scene look that I found very interesting. I see that CNN is having a special tomorrow. Should be fun.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

My parents said we got stuck in the traffic on thruway on our way to "Story Town". I was 6 at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
    My parents said we got stuck in the traffic on thruway on our way to "Story Town". I was 6 at the time.
    Yup, just like Arlo said

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thumbs up Re: Woodstock ( I paid for a ticket)

In my Last Year of 4, in the US Navy, stationed in Brooklyn, had weekend liberty,
    with 400,000 going,

It was surprisingly easy to get there and back to be on time ,
    to muster in on Monday back in Brooklyn..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

16. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Was just shy of my 13th birthday in a particularly miserable summer of my young life, as I recall (very awkward age, had just finished summer school having flunked 7th grade math, and right after that getting off to the hospital to get my tonsils out). Knew nothing about the festival until seeing the astonishing news coverage — me wishing I’d been there and envying the older kids who went, while my parents tut-tutted at the scenes of the unwashed masses and mud. I was in the NYC suburbs so it was not far away. I still wonder how people initially learned about the festival beforehand ... did they see a poster? We’re there radio ads? Word of mouth?

I was on my way to Vietnam. I think I was in SERE School at the time.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

I didn't physically make it to Woodstock till the mid 90's while visiting to a friend's family vacation home in the Catskills. Here I am outside of Big Pink. I dated a girl (who was a year or so older than me) who had gone to Woodstock. I saw the movie at the theater when it came out. It was very exciting times for a teenager.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Pink.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	203.5 KB 
ID:	179045  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

So....50 years ago right now, I was sitting in the mud following the big rainstorm which stopped the music. After a while, the rain let up, the sun half came out and I was soaked. It was stinking, hot and humid and I started to think this sucks. Then...very unexpectedly, the congas from Santana (a no-name at the time band) started playing....life improved rapidly....
    2017 Ellis F5 Special #438

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benski For This Useful Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190816_151533.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	179046
    And they never collected my ticket..
    2017 Ellis F5 Special #438

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benski For This Useful Post:

Very cool Benski. I thought the part of the movie when Santana starts playing Soul Sacrifice after the rainstorm was one of the highlights. I, of course, had to get every Santana album ever made- well, most of them. I see where Carlos is still touring. That would be a great show to see.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Alden, Minnesota, 12 miles west of where I-90 and I-35 cross in Southern, Minnesota

I had the opportunity to go, but thought it was just another rock concert. I decided to keep working, and save a little more for my senior year of college. While it would have been a great experience, I now feel I made the right choice. (but it took a lot of years to get to that point)
    "Put your hands to the wood
    Touch the music put there by the summer sun and wind
    The rhythms of the rain, locked within the rings
    And let your fingers find The Music in the Wood."
    Joe Grant and Al Parrish (chorus from The Music in the Wood)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    Very cool Benski. I thought the part of the movie when Santana starts playing Soul Sacrifice after the rainstorm was one of the highlights. I, of course, had to get every Santana album ever made- well, most of them. I see where Carlos is still touring. That would be a great show to see.
    He was on one of the national news shows this morning.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

+1 on Santana being the bargain of the bunch. And if The Who were payed what is listed here, they were a bargain too, considering how well they played. Townsend plays like his life depends on it.

They released a CD set of all 36 hours. I was really excited to buy it but they apparently limited it to 150 sets or something.
    It went on sale in May and didn't sell out until a few weeks ago, so there was plenty of time. 1969 (get it) sets @ $800 a pop. They're going for $2500+ now on Ebay after the first few sold closer to $1500.

Six of us went in two vw bugs. I got put in the back seat of one because I’m little. Unknown to me a car battery had been transported on the back seat and some acid had spilled and dried on the seat. It was a long ride from Pittsburgh to Woodstock and I got dried acid on various parts of my clothes.

When we got there we were low on gas and were afraid of not finding more. We decided to walk in. We walked and when it rained the battery acid reactivated and my clothes began to disintegrate. A kind soul gave me two trash bags and I made them into a blouse and skirt. That’s what I wore to Woodstock.

It was hard to get near the stage but the music I heard was fantastic. I also remember being hungry and unable to find the food kitchen. I remember standing in a long line to drink from a garden hose on the side of a house. I made my way back to the car and slept in it.

So it was a very mixed experience but I’m glad I went but I sure was glad to leave.

30. The following members say thank you to BeanJean for this post:

Just took this pic a few minutes ago.
    This IS NOT "a reproduction", but an original from 50 years ago, when I was there.
    Still in pretty good shape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Woodstock T-shirt copy.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	179055

(right click to open in a new window to see full size)

32. The following members say thank you to J.Albert for this post:

Assuming this is true.
    Oops, hadn't read what is written before the list. Seems The Who were well paid if this is accurate. Still a very inspiring performance.