Thread: Still getting some buzzing?

Default Still getting some buzzing?

I am new at the mandolin and am just wondering after checking for unlevel frets and a straight neck and making sure I have the strings on the low side at .090 and the high side at .060 I still have some buzzing randomly on the low side. I am wondering if that is because I am still getting use to the fingering of mandolin strings or if I should put a little relief in the neck since the neck is almost straight. The measured relief was like .005". I am using the standard gauge strings .010 - .034 and am wondering if this is part of the problem due to more flop. I still struggle making the bluegrass G chord but figure with time and stretching it will get better. Any advice would be appreciated for this newbie mandolin student. Thank you,
    Frank

Default Re: Still getting some buzzing?

Everyone struggles with the G chord. Play each note up the neck with some force to see if you can isolate a buzz. You relief should be more than enough. Many like none at all. I like frets to be dead flat all the way up the board, and what relief I have is caused by string tension. I am a huge believer in leveling frets, but I can understand those not wanting the expense. The more inexpensive the mandolin, the more this is needed. If your tuner buttons are held on by screws, thighten them, and add some felt to your tailpiece where it might touch strings. It is common to have a hump where the body meets the neck, hence the need for fret leveling.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

As you said, more flop with lighter strings. What mandolin are you playing? An ff hole or an oval. Most, not all, mandolins will accept 11-40 strings. You may want to raise the G side till it quits buzzing, it may only take a slight amount.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    As you said, more flop with lighter strings. What mandolin are you playing? An ff hole or an oval. Most, not all, mandolins will accept 11-40 strings. You may want to raise the G side till it quits buzzing, it may only take a slight amount.
    I am playing the A shape with f holes and do have a truss rod. I can easily change to the D' Addario J74 set that I have. I checked all frets and have no high rockers. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8011118.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	304.1 KB 
ID:	179039

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Everyone struggles with the G chord. Play each note up the neck with some force to see if you can isolate a buzz. You relief should be more than enough. Many like none at all. I like frets to be dead flat all the way up the board, and what relief I have is caused by string tension. I am a huge believer in leveling frets, but I can understand those not wanting the expense. The more inexpensive the mandolin, the more this is needed. If your tuner buttons are held on by screws, thighten them, and add some felt to your tailpiece where it might touch strings. It is common to have a hump where the body meets the neck, hence the need for fret leveling.
    Thanks for all the advice. If I need to level the frets I can do that but have checked all of them and have no high rockers on the fret board. I will check all the other suggestions and add the felt to the tail piece.

It may seem counter intuitive, but you can play with a lower action with heavier strings than with lighter ones without buzz.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Try the 11-40 strings, if still a buzz raise bridge slightly, if still a buzz does the open string buzz, if after checking everything else suggested here still have buzz even on open string the pairs may be buzzing again each other. I found this on a friends mandolin I was setting up for him and it gave me a fit, fix is a new nut if that is the problem.

Do you use a machinest's straightedge? I allow one thousanths on a few frets around the sixth to ninth frets. That's it.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1