Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Refret for Gibson F9

Default Re: Refret for Gibson F9

Quote Originally Posted by rdfmando14 View Post
    Recently, my luthier , Tommy Haywood (Atlanta area), leveled my radius fret board for me, which included a refret and intonation set-up. He does excellent high quality work and is very attentive to detail. He charged me a very reasonable fee for the 12 hours he dedicated to the job. Turn around time was a little over two weeks. I'm glad he took the time that it takes to do the job.
    I should explain that the 12 hours included flattening the radiused board, making bullet end EVO frets, working with a new (to me) method to remove frets from ebony without a single chip out, flattening and adjusting slots in the radiused saddle and nut, and a substantial repair of the finish. Based on a reasonable hourly rate, it still cost her less than the prices I'm seeing here, but I don't have a big shop overhead. Rdfmando14 has several nice mandolins for backup, but I loaned her one of mine to practice with a flat board while she waited for hers.

I think the idea of an hourly rate for a set time for a particular task for what is essentially the practice of an art, and the expectations that get attached to that, should be the subject of a discussion in a separate thread.
    Tom
    Haywood Music Instruments
    Facebook ; Instagram

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Haywood For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by J.Albert View Post
    Looks to me like you need the first 10 done. The rest I'd "let go for now".
    I wouldn't pay for "the whole thing".

As for Steve/Denver's paying $550 for 12 frets... yipes... well, pay what you want, what can I say...?

But I wouldn't pay about $50 "a fret". No way.
    $15-20 each, and that's it.

OP:
    All the more reason to have "a backup instrument", so you can send off the good one for a good job at a decent price...
    I have another mandolin (Newson) but it doesn't have a pickup installed right now. I'm debating about switching the order of things and sending the Newson to get a pickup installed (probably Twin K) and then deal with the Gibson refret.

Update to the story - while I thought I had responded to confirm the drop off, apparently I didn't actually send the text (doh!) and the guy was not available to meet yesterday. Next time we can looks like it'll be too late for my current timeline. So either I have to find another way to get this done ASAP (like this week with a guaranteed turnaround) or wait about 1 - 2 months for another break in my gig schedule where I can use my all acoustic Newson - which is getting to be more rare. Oh joys...

Have you considered something like a pickuptheworld ribbon for you second Mandolin? Quick and eats install and I am told they sound good. But I have never tried one myself, might buy you some time.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    Have you considered something like a pickuptheworld ribbon for you second Mandolin? Quick and eats install and I am told they sound good. But I have never tried one myself, might buy you some time.
    Thanks. I probably wouldn't use them though. Mainly because if I'm going to install a pickup, I would want to hide it as much as possible - partly for looks, partly for feedback control. I think one version of their product has the transducer installed but the jack is still outside the body I believe.

I'd probably go with a Twin K as I've had great experience with that and it's been the most recommended pickup when I've asked anyone unless someone has a recommendation on a pick up they absolutely love that's not the Twin K.

6. The following members say thank you to mbruno for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mbruno View Post
    Thanks. I probably wouldn't use them though. Mainly because if I'm going to install a pickup, I would want to hide it as much as possible - partly for looks, partly for feedback control. I think one version of their product has the transducer installed but the jack is still outside the body I believe.

I'd probably go with a Twin K as I've had great experience with that and it's been the most recommended pickup when I've asked anyone unless someone has a recommendation on a pick up they absolutely love that's not the Twin K.
    No worries Iím with you on K&K I love them in my Martin. When and if I put one in my Mandolin it will be a K&K.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.