Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Refret for Gibson F9

Default Re: Refret for Gibson F9

Quote Originally Posted by rdfmando14 View Post
    Recently, my luthier , Tommy Haywood (Atlanta area), leveled my radius fret board for me, which included a refret and intonation set-up. He does excellent high quality work and is very attentive to detail. He charged me a very reasonable fee for the 12 hours he dedicated to the job. Turn around time was a little over two weeks. I'm glad he took the time that it takes to do the job.
    I should explain that the 12 hours included flattening the radiused board, making bullet end EVO frets, working with a new (to me) method to remove frets from ebony without a single chip out, flattening and adjusting slots in the radiused saddle and nut, and a substantial repair of the finish. Based on a reasonable hourly rate, it still cost her less than the prices I'm seeing here, but I don't have a big shop overhead. Rdfmando14 has several nice mandolins for backup, but I loaned her one of mine to practice with a flat board while she waited for hers.

I think the idea of an hourly rate for a set time for a particular task for what is essentially the practice of an art, and the expectations that get attached to that, should be the subject of a discussion in a separate thread.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Haywood For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by J.Albert View Post
    Looks to me like you need the first 10 done. The rest I'd "let go for now".
    I wouldn't pay for "the whole thing".

As for Steve/Denver's paying $550 for 12 frets... yipes... well, pay what you want, what can I say...?

But I wouldn't pay about $50 "a fret". No way.
    $15-20 each, and that's it.

OP:
    All the more reason to have "a backup instrument", so you can send off the good one for a good job at a decent price...
    I have another mandolin (Newson) but it doesn't have a pickup installed right now. I'm debating about switching the order of things and sending the Newson to get a pickup installed (probably Twin K) and then deal with the Gibson refret.

Update to the story - while I thought I had responded to confirm the drop off, apparently I didn't actually send the text (doh!) and the guy was not available to meet yesterday. Next time we can looks like it'll be too late for my current timeline. So either I have to find another way to get this done ASAP (like this week with a guaranteed turnaround) or wait about 1 - 2 months for another break in my gig schedule where I can use my all acoustic Newson - which is getting to be more rare. Oh joys...
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

Have you considered something like a pickuptheworld ribbon for you second Mandolin? Quick and eats install and I am told they sound good. But I have never tried one myself, might buy you some time.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    Have you considered something like a pickuptheworld ribbon for you second Mandolin? Quick and eats install and I am told they sound good. But I have never tried one myself, might buy you some time.
    Thanks. I probably wouldn't use them though. Mainly because if I'm going to install a pickup, I would want to hide it as much as possible - partly for looks, partly for feedback control. I think one version of their product has the transducer installed but the jack is still outside the body I believe.

I'd probably go with a Twin K as I've had great experience with that and it's been the most recommended pickup when I've asked anyone unless someone has a recommendation on a pick up they absolutely love that's not the Twin K.
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

6. The following members say thank you to mbruno for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mbruno View Post
    Thanks. I probably wouldn't use them though. Mainly because if I'm going to install a pickup, I would want to hide it as much as possible - partly for looks, partly for feedback control. I think one version of their product has the transducer installed but the jack is still outside the body I believe.

I'd probably go with a Twin K as I've had great experience with that and it's been the most recommended pickup when I've asked anyone unless someone has a recommendation on a pick up they absolutely love that's not the Twin K.
    No worries I’m with you on K&K I love them in my Martin. When and if I put one in my Mandolin it will be a K&K.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Albert View Post
    Looks to me like you need the first 10 done. The rest I'd "let go for now".
    I wouldn't pay for "the whole thing".

As for Steve/Denver's paying $550 for 12 frets... yipes... well, pay what you want, what can I say...?

But I wouldn't pay about $50 "a fret". No way.
    $15-20 each, and that's it.

OP:
    All the more reason to have "a backup instrument", so you can send off the good one for a good job at a decent price...
    Fyi, i paid $20 per fret, the rest was crown, set up, etc. professional quality work requires experience, and, time. Often more time than one would expect. Thats reality. Some guys can accurately estimate it, others are willing to spend the time, others...do less work.

Having had less expensive work by several other local luthiers, each highly regarded, and disappointing experience, its ok. Since i play daily, bad work is like shoes that dont fit. A daily reminder of something i dont care for.

Having built myself, i have reasonably high expectations.
    Saving a hundred bucks or so is always desired, but, in my experience, once your instrument is messed up, the reality is, you’re really without recourse. And, very likely to need to spend even more to rectify a problem. Or, things can go great.

I chose to avoid rolling the dice. Problem is, imho, less $$$ is great, until you wished you had spent the extra. But, i am fortunate to be able to have the wherewithal. I fully understand that this isnt everyone’s option.
    Last edited by stevedenver; Oct-25-2019 at 8:29am.

9. The following members say thank you to stevedenver for this post:

GTison 

I'd get a pickup installed in your 2nd mandolin and then send your Gibson to Bruce Weber for the refret. I just had my Collings refretted by him. $300 + shipping with your choice of wire for the entire board. He planed the fretboard, installed and shaped new frets, adjusted the nut and re-setup the mandolin. With 22 frets, that's less than $15 per wire, and includes all of the rest of the work.
    I had him install EVO Gold and they are terrific!
    My mandolin is playing better than ever!