Thread: Hilary Hahn: Hearing her live

Default Hilary Hahn: Hearing her live

I heard Hilary Hahn last week in a small church in Skaneateles, NY. She started off the program playing JS Bachs Partita no.3 for solo violin. About a minute into her performance, I realized that I would never be as good as she was playing the violin at anything that I do. It didnt depress me, it was just a fact! Im pretty good at playing trumpet and have played it for 55 years, mandolin for about 5 or 6 and Im content with my progress. It was fun to hear someone at a level orders of magnitude better than I am!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sterling For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Hilary Hahn: Hearing her live

Mandolin content: didn't she and Chris Thile do something together?

Last season I saw Joshua Bell and Itzahk Perlman. Rachel Barton Pine and Hilary Hahn are on my bucket list.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Donaldson Wood Thormahlen Andersen Old Wave Bacorn Yanuziello Fender National Gibson Franke Fuchs Aceto Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I’m a big HH fan. To watch/hear her is to witness absolute mastery. She puts some of her practice regimen on her instagram stories. It’s a fun peek into that world.
    "If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should find in each man's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility." -Longfellow

Go see YoYo Ma sometime. Joshua Bell is something, but if you can see his pal Philippe Quint, you should. Hilary Hahn is right up there too. Had SF Symphony season tix in the pre retirement days.
    Silverangel A
    Michael Kelly LSFTB
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Go see YoYo Ma sometime. Joshua Bell is something, but if you can see his pal Philippe Quint, you should. Hilary Hahn is right up there too. Had SF Symphony season tix in the pre retirement days.
    I saw Joshua Bell at Bass Hall in Fort Worth a few years ago. He was playing the music of Max Bruch. It was wonderful.
    "If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should find in each man's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility." -Longfellow

I saw her perform the same piece at a Prairie Home Companion performance a couple years ago in Pasadena, CA, not long after Chris Thile took over hosting, and it was absolutely breathtaking. Especially because I'd been working out the piece myself on mandolin over the preceding six months and knew every note and nuance by heart. Had the same feeling of "never in this life"...but I swear I'm gonna die tryin'!

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Mandolin content: didn't she and Chris Thile do something together?
    back in 2006 (or so) i was lucky enough to see Ms. Hahn and Mr. Thile together doing a benefit concert at a little bookstore in lower Manhattan. they performed solo and together as well. i was about five feet away from the stage. of course they were both fantastic, but to hear Hilary Hahn up close and personal like that was staggering. there's a reason she has been playing on concert stages all over the world for most of her life... she's staggeringly good! her double-stop virtuosity is something i'll never forget...