Thread: Cliff Sargent mandolin

Default Cliff Sargent mandolin

The old timers will know who Cliff Sargent was but we get new members daily that may or may not know about this builder.

One of his mandolins is currently in the Classifieds. NFI.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/142964#142964

If you'd like to know more about Mr. Sargent and his mandolins scan through these past threads. I'd love to own one.
    "Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Cliff Sargent mandolin

That thing sounds great, wish I have the extra cash laying around.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I remember seeing Cliff at the Grass Valley festivals in CA at the luthier’s pavilion and guys like Ronnie McCoury stopping by to check out his instruments. Cliff was always friendly to tire kickers like me.

At a Louisville IBMA Loar-fest in the late 90's, Cliff was in attendance. Steve Gilchrist was speaking to a group of Loar owners. All of a sudden, we heard a loud clatter in the back. Cliff had dropped one of his mandolins. You could have heard a pin drop.

6. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    At a Louisville IBMA Loar-fest in the late 90's, Cliff was in attendance. Steve Gilchrist was speaking to a group of Loar owners. All of a sudden, we heard a loud clatter in the back. Cliff had dropped one of his mandolins. You could have heard a pin drop.
    I was at that IBMA show and remember Cliff carrying one of his mandolins around. I thought he had an older Gibson but he told me he had made it.

Yep, he was one of the later builders to still craft mandolins with The Gibson inlay in the headstock. His instruments sounded great, as does this one.

Thought I would share a picture of my Cliff Sargent Loar copy to this thread. It is one great mandolin.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190816_172834.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	179058

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pickn1966 For This Useful Post:

Well, that's a beauty.

I had the great pleasure of meeting Cliff when he moved from CA to Missoula MT where I was living, somewhere about 1980 - 81. Funny, I had gotten a phone call from him, I didn't know who he was but he knew my name, and wanted to come over and show me a mandolin he had made. I was really impressed by the sound of his mando, I believe he continued to concentrate on the finer details of his instruments as time went by. But most of all I was impressed by Cliff himself, a real gentleman, with great stories to tell, and always ready to help anyone out. He came over to my place once to repair a broken valve spring on my pickup engine, totally his idea without my asking, then wouldn't charge me a dime. Cliff was truly an old school class act who made wonderful instruments.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fredzipp For This Useful Post: