Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A likely contentious opinion on electric mandolins

Default Re: A likely contentious opinion on electric mandolins

My EDola has a very "woody" sound to it through a Blackstar amp and some eq.

It's really unique. Not like a guitar at all.

Americana in France? Daniel Nestlerode's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No one has brought up the Brazilian 'guitarra baiana' yet.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...uitarra+baiana

Enjoy!
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by BoxCarJoe View Post
    My EDola has a very "woody" sound to it through a Blackstar amp and some eq.

It's really unique. Not like a guitar at all.
    Hey Joe,

I was just playing my short-scale Weber OM through my Schertler Guilia, using Schertler's stick-on pickup. This is not really the set-up I was thinking about in my earlier comments. There I was specifically commenting about dedicated electrics, mostly solid-bodies.

But as I was getting ready to play out tonight, I was playing through my amp that I haven't used much lately, think how good it sounds. I was noticing much easier it is to pay attention to tone, expression and finer details, when I don't have to play hard for volume. I realized how much I like playing amplified. With this set-up it really does sound like the instrument itself, only louder. I like the idea other unique sound you are talking about though, and think I want to explore that, too.

This current combination works for me, especially for the type of music I generally play in my duo. But there is a much louder venue we sometimes play, and there we are moving a little more toward the rock side. There, I think a solid body would be just the thing. As stated above, I am going to get one and give it a try. I love exploring different tonal possibilities, different voices. On with the adventure!
    Last edited by Bob Clark; Aug-21-2019 at 8:44am. Reason: Inexcusable run on sentence!
    Purr more, hiss less.

4. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vFfSxIrs4jU
    Short explanation by Sierra, her reason for an electric

6. The following members say thank you to Rodney Riley for this post:

I saw Sierra Hull play that Mandocaster at Grey Fox. I'd never seen an electric before and I couldn't figure out what the hell I was looking at. I had to get home and google until I found pictures.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Coming in a bit late: I guess an electric mandolin does superficially sound like a guitar. But, for me, I can get more interesting voices, and it always gets a comment. If you listen to tiny mooore, or Sam bush, you can hear the difference, at least to me.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

I would love an electric mandolin if it could cop the acoustic sound well, itís a plus but it isnít why I would buy one. The way things play different sound different tuned on fifths and the whole electric idea works for my. I could in my pedals explore different sounds etc. Thatís why I have acoustic and electric guitars and synths for the different sounds.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    I would love an electric mandolin if it could cop the acoustic sound well, it’s a plus but it isn’t why I would buy one. The way things play different sound different tuned on fifths and the whole electric idea works for my. I could in my pedals explore different sounds etc. That’s why I have acoustic and electric guitars and synths for the different sounds.
    An Arrow mandolin would solve that problem. Five or 8 string.
    Play it like you mean it.

The last thing I would want from an electric mandolin would be for it to sound like an acoustic mandolin. Electric guitars generally do not sound like acoustic guitars. To the extent that 'sounding like an electric guitar' typically means using a tone with sustain and overdrive/distortion, one could ask why Jam Hammer ever bothered with his keyboard rig, since it sounds so much like an electric guitar.

Goal for me with electric was to get close to the feel of an acosutic, using overdrive to create some 'woof' when using a stronger hand, and cleaner tones during lower dynamic sections. Works great for me, and I don't think it comes across as guitar-like at all, since I'm playing chops and double-stops and mandolin type phrases.

OTOH: When we play Sweet Child of Mine and it sounds just like Slash, and I'm totally OK with that.

12. The following members say thank you to Michael H Geimer for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandos&turtles View Post
    I donít get the point of electric mandolins. They donít sound like mandolins to me. If I didnít know someone was playing one Iíd just assume Iím hearing an electric guitar. Iíd like to hear others thoughts on the subject
    For the same reason Guitar-Banjos came to be....For Guitar players who didnt know how to play banjo.
    I dont know how to play guitar but I can sound like I do....Not really because playing an 4 string solid body emando, one's technique is more like elec guitar -bending...etc. - you wouldnt be playing fiddle tunes

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    That settles it. Now I need one. Maybe an electric mandola, too. I think my one in-one out policy just bit the dust!
    Yup, I did it. Have an Ovation MM68 (US made) heading my way. Bought it from a Cafe ad (of course). Funny thing is, it was this thread that convinced me to finally get one. I'll report back on just how useful I find it, but for some of the places I play, Imthink it will be just the thing.
    Purr more, hiss less.

Quote Originally Posted by mandos&turtles View Post
    I don’t get the point of electric mandolins. They don’t sound like mandolins to me.
    I came to this conclusion after some time and owning several electric mandolins. I do still own a Ryder four string Telecaster type electric mandolin. There are some unique sounds you can get out of an instrument tuned in fourths but one of the my favorite aspects of the mandolin is lost on an electric; that is the unique percussive attributes of the mandolin.

An electric guitar is much more versatile. I have also capoed my electric guitar up high (7th and above ala Dave Rawlings) to get some open chimey mandolin-ish type flavors.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I actually started on an electric mandolin, an EM150 and then got one of Kevin Schwab's early 5 strings with dual humbuckers. Still kicking myself for not getting a 10 string version when he was still making them.

I found myself wondering if or why I should invest in an acoustic mandolin. I did, of course, and wound up falling in love with '10s Gibsons and bowlbacks, naturally.

Not the intended purpose, but I still play the Schwab through a trusty Fender Twin now and then when I'm doing home remodeling work and I want to peel / shred paint off of ceilings or walls.

Nothing gives me greater pleasure than to work through the same tune on that array of instruments. With each one I discover some different nuance in the melody or in the fingering.

Certainly a troll-y type of question from the OP, but I have enjoyed reading y'all's responses!

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

17. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post: