Thread: Heavy-duty gigbag for Bouzouki

Default Heavy-duty gigbag for Bouzouki

I'd be grateful for advice about a gigbag or lightweight case for my Sherwood-S Irish bouzouki. (26" scale-38 1/2" total length, 13 1/4" wide, 3" body depth)

I'm flying to Ireland from the US at the end of July, and I know the plywood banjo case I bought with the instrument in the nineties is neither protective enough to check nor small enough to carry-on. From everything I've read, I get the impression that my best bet is a heavy-duty gigbag or similar.

From my research, it appears to me as if my options are:
    Gator's GL-BANJO XL rigid EPS polyfoam lightweight banjo case
    Mono's M80-AC-BLK classical guitar case (the wrong shape, obviously, but I'm sure I could buy closed-cell foam and make blocks to fit the zouk)
    ETA: the Access Stage Three HB Banjo Gigbag
    _maybe_ the Reunion Blues Continental Voyager. The banjo version doesn't appear to be available ("coming soon" on the RB website and not to be found on Amazon; I'm not inclined to bet on it coming back in stock in time), but I suppose I could get a guitar one and add padding)

Has anyone any advice about which of those options would be more suitable, or if there's something I've not found? Thanks so much in advance!
    Last edited by Aindriú Ó Ciardha; Jun-25-2022 at 11:09pm. Reason: typo fix

Default Re: Heavy-duty gigbag for Bouzouki

The Access Stage 3 case is a real gem (multiple pockets and back pack straps) and my customers absolutely love them. Quite substantial padding for a soft case. The interior neck rest is a big plus.

3. The following members say thank you to zookster for this post:

I have both the Access bag and the RB guitar bag (I found the banjo bag to be too tight for octave or bouzouki). I’d go with the Access bag if your instrument fits.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

5. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

I have a Deering gig bag for long-neck banjo that accommodates a Stelling resonator pot; might handle the 'zouk.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

7. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Sorry, out of practice with the threading format here. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by zookster View Post
    The Access Stage 3 case is a real gem (multiple pockets and back pack straps) and my customers absolutely love them. Quite substantial padding for a soft case. The interior neck rest is a big plus.
    Thank you! I'm leaning strongly in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    I have both the Access bag and the RB guitar bag (I found the banjo bag to be too tight for octave or bouzouki). I’d go with the Access bag if your instrument fits.
    Thank you! That's very useful information.

Does the Access bag have hard (ish?) panels on the outside of the soft ones?

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    I have a Deering gig bag for long-neck banjo that accommodates a Stelling resonator pot; might handle the 'zouk.
    Thank you! I'll hold that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Aindriú Ó Ciardha View Post
    Thank you! That's very useful information.

Does the Access bag have hard (ish?) panels on the outside of the soft ones?
    They are not as rigid/thick as the Reunion Blues. Neither is the Mono, in terms of guitar bags. Richard Beard uses the Access Bags (not sure if they are guitar or banjo bags) for the octaves he builds. You might try reaching out to him.

https://www.facebook.com/Beard-Instr...9431466155662/
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

13. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post: