Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New five course mandocello

Default Re: New five course mandocello

Yes, it's 48mm Graham. It's been getting a comprehensive workout over the past weeks since I last posted. I now have it hooked up via the pickup to an irig and looping app, and have been working on a number of pieces, including one of Bach's Chorales, so a video is not far off. There's a lot of shiny finger spots on the strings!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3047.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	417.4 KB 
ID:	180702
    Breedlove American 00 Mandolin
    Graham McDonald 5 Course MandoCello

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Looking forward to hearing what you do with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham McDonald View Post
    Looking forward to hearing what you do with it!
    Thanks Graham. Well, after enormous bushfire devastation and considerable upheaval over Coronavirus, I have finally got around to recording the Mando-Cello! This is the intro and Bass Clef part of a Bach piece, the second, Treble Clef part, played on Mandolin, I will post later.

https://www.facebook.com/10004998410...8030753206394/

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Hello Andy

facebook won't let me see it

No Facebook Connect

Hello Andy

facebook won't let me see it
    I'll try again, stay tuned!

Here's the Mandolin part played over the looped Mando-Cello....

https://www.facebook.com/10004998410...9198789756257/

A lovely beast that 5 course cello, now what kind of special non descriptive name can we come up for that - Tenor-Cittern ?
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Hi Graham, after two years, which have included a move to Tasmania, a house renovation and much Covid mayhem, I finally got around to working on the looping project that I started back in 2019. I left facebook long ago, so the links in previous posts no longer work, so I made a new video clip, which you can find here,

https://practical-artisans.com/ensem...d-appearances/

It's a clip of me 'Live Looping' Scarborough Fair. The Liuto Cantabile (Mandocello) features in the building of the loop, from bassline, arpeggiated chords and the playing of the melody. Hope all is well with you?

Cheers
    Andy
    Ps, I registered as a new user on mandolin cafe, as my old email (for login) was cancelled when I closed my Gmail account

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EnsembleSolitaire For This Useful Post:

Some info on the looping set-up,

Graham McDonald Stringed Instruments - Liuto Cantabile
    Both fitted with K&K pickups
    Boss RC-30 Loop Station
    EBS Stanley Clarke switchable dual channel Pre-amp with EQ / Frequency modulation
    TC Electronic Hypergravity Compressor
    Boss NS-1 Noise Suppressor
    Radial Hotshot XLR microphone switcher
    Sennheiser mic
    Polytune Tuner / power supply
    AER 60-4 Acoustic instrument amplifier
    Recorded in sepia using Zoom Q2N-4K video / audio recorder (on low res settings to minimize file size)
    Breedlove American 00 - Mandolin
    Graham McDonald Stringed Instruments - Liuto Cantabile (5 Course Mandocello)

Blog Entries

A five course mandocello (with added high e string).
    Just beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Indubitably it is Jeff.....

Quote Originally Posted by EnsembleSolitaire View Post
    Indubitably it is Jeff.....
    From the day I got it from Graham, it simply blew me away with its stunningly beautiful sound and resonance.....

Blog Entries

Sound and resonance are, of course paramount.

Do you play one fret per finger or the mandolinny two frets per finger.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

A bowback liuto cantabile has been on my wish list for many years. I had never even considered an arch top like that. Nice.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Sound and resonance are, of course paramount.

Do you play one fret per finger or the mandolinny two frets per finger.
    Thanks for asking this Jeff, it gives me a good opportunity to expand a little on a few things. My playing style is very simple, one finger per fret. Why? I picked up a musical instrument for the first time in my life at age 54, 7 years ago and, as an autodidact (I struggle with formal / institutional learning), have largely taught myself how to play both the mandolin and liuto cantabile / use the loop station etc. A good friend, the Cellist / Composer / Looper Kristin Rule, encouraged me to learn how to read music notation and taught me a lot about harmonizing / arpeggiated chords / improvisation, for which I will be forever grateful. I am somewhat Autistic, and my brain does not seem to be able to handle 2, 3, 4 finger chords and strumming. Kristin recognized this and gave me the fundamentals for working arpeggiated chords / harmonizing into the songs I wanted to play. My brain is into detail, breaking things down into each part, and then bringing them together, so the arpeggiated chords in particular, just seem to fit with my brain. All of that said, I have much more to learn. The technology I use has helped overcome some of the limitations I've faced, but I sincerely recognize and respect those whose playing styles, without technological assistance, are much more complex than mine....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    A bowback liuto cantabile has been on my wish list for many years. I had never even considered an arch top like that. Nice.
    A Bowlback Mandolin has been on my wish list, ever since I saw Caterina Lichtenburg play Vivaldi's RV-93. It's a long road....

....So to anyone reading this, who has had to endure the 'free advice' from the puritans and purveyors of wisdom re the playing of their instrument, the kind of free advice that usually starts with the phrase - 'all you need to do is' (oh man, how many times have I heard that!) - it is almost always (but not always) necessary to have the courage to trust your intuition, especially if they do not know you, know how your unique brain works, what challenges you've faced, what your personal goals and desires are, to simply thank them for their interest, but continue on your path regardless.....

I can’t imagine how someone can play a 25” scale instrument with mandolin fingering unless they have huge hands or to use that fingering on the upper frets.

I played briefly or actually held the Calace liuto that belongs to the Munier Orchestra in Philadelphia. I can post a photo of it here later.

Graham, have you ever examined it or seen any others of Calace’s liutos? I wonder what the scale is like?

Andy: I am impressed with your musicianship and ability to put together that looping arrangement. very well done. And I love the name Ensemble Solitaire. Also like your merino wool socks. I am very tempted.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by EnsembleSolitaire View Post
    Some info on the looping set-up,

Graham McDonald Stringed Instruments - Liuto Cantabile
    Both fitted with K&K pickups
    Boss RC-30 Loop Station
    EBS Stanley Clarke switchable dual channel Pre-amp with EQ / Frequency modulation
    TC Electronic Hypergravity Compressor
    Boss NS-1 Noise Suppressor
    Radial Hotshot XLR microphone switcher
    Sennheiser mic
    Polytune Tuner / power supply
    AER 60-4 Acoustic instrument amplifier
    Recorded in sepia using Zoom Q2N-4K video / audio recorder (on low res settings to minimize file size)
    That was a really impressive performance! I haven't listened with headphones, but it sounds like a hear a high hat along with the first mandolin track. Is that a click track or is it triggered by the mandolin somehow?

Thank you Jim. I sincerely appreciate your feedback. I would love to see the photo of the Calace Liuto, when you get a chance to post it. The socks are made by my good friend and companion Karen, who has kindly provided me with a page on her site to post my video's. She hand cranks an old circular sock machine to make them, a process that arguably requires as much skill, if not more, than playing a 25" scale instrument with mandolin fingering! But as she often states - 'limits are expansionary'.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 2E View Post
    That was a really impressive performance! I haven't listened with headphones, but it sounds like a hear a high hat along with the first mandolin track. Is that a click track or is it triggered by the mandolin somehow?
    Thank you Steve. Yes, that is indeed a high hat you hear. It's triggered when I hit the 'record' pedal of the RC-30 loop station with my right foot, and therefore the first note I play also needs to align with my pedal press, so that it also aligns with the first high hat beat. I am using the loop station differently to most who use them, in that I am recording (in the case of scarborough fair) 16 bars each of arpeggiated mandolin chords, liuto bassline, percussion and liuto arpeggiated chords, then playing the melody over the top. I use the high hat, especially for the first 16 bars of the arpeggiated mandolin chords, because my timing over the 16 bars is simply not good enough (even using the high hat - as you can most likely hear). The loop station does not lie, it is ruthlessly uncompromising, playing back every mistake over and over, so I need a 'guide' that helps get my timing as close as I can. I still have a way to go though!

25. The following members say thank you to EnsembleSolitaire for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I can’t imagine how someone can play a 25” scale instrument with mandolin fingering unless they have huge hands or to use that fingering on the upper frets.
    It's a great point Jim. When I first started playing the liuto, I tried using a classical guitar / cello style fingering / shifting, but because of my age / hand inflexibility, found it too difficult to adapt. So I tend to stick to using the instrument for bass line / arpeggiated chords, or choosing songs with reasonably simple melodies, where I can still use mandolin fingering without too much stretch. That of course limits enormously what I can play, but for me, that's ok, I'm just very happy that having learnt to play an instrument much later in life, I can play a tune, something I always thought I'd never be able to do....