Thread: Old Gibson

Default Old Gibson

1. Can anybody tell me anything about this Mandolin? Age? Worth?
    2. Can any music shop get this thing in working condition or do I need to find somebody that specializes in instruments like this. The local shop says they can make any needed repairs to it.
    This is a family hand me down so I want to make sure I am making the right decisions with this piece as far as who I let work on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	178976   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin2.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	178977   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin3.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	178978  

Default Re: Old Gibson

Also, I want to play it or should I keep it locked up?

Teacher, repair person

That is a Gibson A-4, most likely built sometime between 1918 and 1922.

It is missing some parts: the bridge, the pickguard, and the tailpiece cover. Original replacement parts are expensive and a bit hard to find; but replica parts are available.

It is best that whoever works on it have some experience with older, collectable instruments.

Its value depends largely on its condition and the originality of the finish. We would need to see a picture of the back of the instrument to make a reasonable assessment. If the finish on the back is original and not heavily worn, the instrument might bring somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000 at an established "vintage" instrument shop. If sold privately, it would probably bring somewhat less.

By all means, play it! These are good mandolins.

Is there somebody in the KY/TN area that specializes in repairing old instruments? Or will Gibson factory make repairs? I am in West KY.

Now that you've posted your location, I'm sure that folks will advise on instrument shops qualified to fixer up! No reason to fear putting it shape, cleaning it up a bit and playing it. But probably best not to send to Gibson or to a Guitar Center. You want to find someone who works on vintage acoustic instruments.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Let's see. Kentucky and Tennesee.....nope, no mandolin expertise there....

Seriously, ground zero of mandolin expertise, it's just I can't help you as I live in CA. I imagine locals will give you a dozen suggestions soon.

You have a great year and model for old Gibsons, and they were meant to be played. You could just get any performance issues fixed and leave it like that, or seek out original parts. Choice is yours. Nice piece to have.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

7. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

If it was in playable shape it would be worth a couple of thousand dollars. In this shape it's worth hundreds of dollars. In great shape it would still be only worth a few thousand dollars. No need to lock it up, you'll never retire on the value. Get it fixed with reproduction parts and play it. It's worth more as a family heirloom than it will be as an instrument. Send a PM to the cafe member in post 3 of this thread (rcc56) and see what he would charge to bring it back for you.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

9. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

rcc56 

Teacher, repair person

The mandolin definitely looks repairable to me. If you can find the original bridge [a piece of black wood about 3 1/2" long], it will reduce the cost of the repair.

Fix it, string it, and play it.
    It is a very cool mandolin, but not a museum piece.
    It wants to be played.

If you plan to sell it, get it to a good luthier, who can get it in playing condition.
    It will be worth the most when it is working.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

It appears to me that there is a crack in the top on the treble side of the oval hole heading towards the bridge. If his has not been professionally repaired you will want to get it fixed before string it up. also have in looked at by someone experienced with mandolins and make sure the braces are there and in good condition. Some old Gibson's are subject to sinking tops, usually due to a brace coming loose. A good cleaning and proper setup and it should be a great mandolin to play. Play the heck out of it and don't let it sit in a closet.

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    It appears to me that there is a crack in the top on the treble side of the oval hole heading towards the bridge.

Also have in looked at by someone experienced with mandolins and make sure the braces are there and in good condition. Some old Gibson's are subject to sinking tops, usually due to a brace coming loose. A good cleaning and proper setup and it should be a great mandolin to play. Play the heck out of it and don't let it sit in a closet.
    Steve, I believe that what you are seeing is an old string lying on the top, not a crack.

The fingerboard binding on the treble side may be missing, but I can't tell for sure because of the angle of the picture.

With a little luck, the neck will be straight and the frets will be in good shape. If so, it will only need a bridge, a set up, any missing binding replaced, and probably the brace reglued [there is only one]. Installing a tailpiece cover and pickguard can be considered optional.

The cost of the repairs on this instrument will probably be pretty moderate. If the original bridge can be found, it would reduce the cost by ~$100.
    Last edited by rcc56; Aug-12-2019 at 6:18pm.

Dave Sheets

You should definitely play it. These old Gibsons are neat instruments, with a lot of charm and character. Particularly since it's a family heirloom, find a repair person who knows mandolins, get it tended to, and then play the heck out of it. A really great thing to have i the family.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

Thanks for all the replies! Rcc56, if I have time tomorrow I will try to contact you.

16. The following members say thank you to Mark1j for this post:

rcc56 

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    That is a Gibson A-4, most likely built sometime between 1918 and 1922.
    Mark1j:
    Look inside the soundhole toward the neck block and you should see a stamped number. That is the Factory Order Number (FON). If you tell us what it is we can more accurately tell you the date this was made.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Teacher, repair person

Spann's Guide to Gibson assigns that number to a batch of A-4's made in 1921.

Looks like a decent A4 with good hopes of being revived.

1921 is a good year, next best to 1922 -25. definitely worth restoring. that's a minor gem. the A 4s are very pretty nd it should come out sounding great from that year. once refurbished it would probably sell fast here on the classifieds if you don't play it.

Is there a case with it? With any luck, missing parts like bridge, tailpiece cover, maybe even a pickguard clamp, will be stored in the case pocket.

Nashville, Louisville, Knoxville are just some of the places that have repair shops.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I would recommend Custom Fretted Instruments near Sparta, Tennessee. They have repaired many great things for me. http://www.customfret.com/