Thread: Ever hear of "Ever Play" brand mandolins?

Default Ever hear of "Ever Play" brand mandolins?

Greetings from Poland! I am a violinist who is interested in making the transition to mandolin. Mostly to fulfill a dream of being able to pretend to be like a medieval bard.

There is a brand here in Poland called Ever Play that I'm trying to find out about, particularly the quality. All I can find is that they are Chinese and they seem to make a large number of different instruments -- but almost all instrument makers are Chinese these days it seems. I saw the thread about Chinese mandolins, but not certain if this is the same thing.

They bear a striking resemblance to Rogues in photos, but there are different models: M1-BK, MM-201, and they even have an electro-acoustic. Prices for the basic model are roughly similar to the Rogues, and the others are of course more expensive. Their most expensive model has a solid spruce top!

Their basic model claims to use spruce, maple, rosewood, and that Asian nato wood and have a gloss finish.

Is there some massive factory in China where they produce mandolins and then put different brand names on them to sell in different countries? If I buy one of these will I just be getting a Rogue?

I would appreciate your advice about these, because I could instead just buy an Ibanez or a Fender but at a much higher price. There's also a brand called Gewa that makes some Portuguese style mandolins and Stagg which I believe I read some say to avoid. Kentucky is unfortunately not a brand that's available around here.

I want to make sure I buy an instrument that's not going to make me hate learning and sound like rubbish -- I can make it sound like rubbish on my own, I am sure.

Thank you for your advice.

Default Re: Ever hear of "Ever Play" brand mandolins?

Without a picture nobody can tell you. A Rogue mandolin is not built from solid woods, they are laminated. That doesn't mean they are bad starter instruments but they are just that, a starter instrument, made inexpensively in a factory in China. There is not just one factory China, probably dozens if not more. The problem is that many manufacturers will say that the top is Spruce etc. Look for a description that says the wood is solid Spruce, solid Maple and so on.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thank you! Here are a few images of some of them. They don't look bad, but they don't specify whether they are solid.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06a788f065ec733aa00f6ff62920e347.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	201.3 KB 
ID:	178954

Name:	470129a4565cee68df77042297d93f8c.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	178955

Name:	59f673f0549360e2bca5cc96a80f693d.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	178956

Name:	9738.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	178957

Appearance wise, they look rather nice.

Those look like pretty common imports. There are similar instruments with the same look on eBay weekly with different brand names. They don't look bad but that can be deceiving. Perhaps one of our other members from your region has some information. I don't recall ever seeing that brand name.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber