Thread: Finger exercises?

Default Finger exercises?

As you all know I broke my shoulder, my wrist, and a couple of fingers on my left hand in a motorcycle accident. I’m healing up though little finger is still swelling slightly but it’s knitting together nice. What I need is some finger exercises so I can get back to playing again. Do any of you have any recommendations ?
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Default Re: Finger exercises?

Also I have not started physical therapy yet. That still a month or two off. Maybe I’m getting a little impatient but I want to get my fingers back into working order.
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Waiting on the physical therapist is really my best advice. If you lack the patience to do so get a soft foam rubber ball or cylinder and gently …. GENTLY … work / squeeze it one finger at a time …. if there is any ...ANY .. pain … stop. This recovery is likely to be a long haul. I have had three hand surgeries , that is on tendons binding not broken bones, and it took a couple of months to really get my speed, strength and dexterity back to normal and be comfortable playing. Secondly take half the strings off your mandolin when you start playing again. Work you hand strength, not to mention calluses, back slowly. Good Luck keep us posted R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

4. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

DocT 

Sounds like good advice. I tend to push things.
    Loar LM-370

Yes! Please talk to your doctor first before doing anything the Internet suggests!

Daily rider here. Get well soon!

Quote Originally Posted by DocT View Post
    As you all know I broke my shoulder, my wrist, and a couple of fingers on my left hand in a motorcycle accident. I’m healing up though little finger is still swelling slightly but it’s knitting together nice. What I need is some finger exercises so I can get back to playing again. Do any of you have any recommendations ?
    Also I have not started physical therapy yet. That still a month or two off. Maybe I’m getting a little impatient but I want to get my fingers back into working order.
    The thing my excellent surgeon and equally excellent physical therapist *really* insisted with me was to worry about preserving flexibility, instead of building strength. They gave me numerous handouts on the stretches, and *none* on building strength. At the point I finally got to the point of deeper therapy, the exercises for the first week or two were squeezng a very soft foam block, which I still keep on a shelf to remind myself of how hard it seemed then, but how very insubstantial it seems now at full strength.

My surgeon and therapist for the hand procedures were top choices for the big-city symphonies in my area, and their expertise helped me rein in my initial impulses to do myself damage and to be patient. i regained all my strength and flexibility following their guidance.

Ask for what you can do to increase the odds of retaining your flexibility, and tell them you're a musician.

Good luck!

8. The following members say thank you to Explorer for this post:

DocT 

FYI some physical and occupational therapists have an advanced certification in hand therapy. And some hand therapist specialize in working with musicians. https://www.asht.org/patients/why-see-hand-therapist

...Do any of you have any recommendations ?
    Listen to your Dr and therapist.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7