Thread: A trip to Elderly

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Default A trip to Elderly

(NFI)

I haven’t been in to Elderly in a while and I stopped in yesterday. Wow. Thought I had died and gone to mando heaven. They had two Ellis Mandos, one with a one-piece back and another blond top with an exquisite two-piece flamed back.

I played a fabulous Northfield guitar body OM. The volume and tone was tremendous. Also a of couple of Northfield F5s there.

Half a dozen teens and twenties Gibson A models and a snakehead hung on the top row.

I also played a Pono guitar body OM that was very good. Not quite as good as the Northfield, but affordable and impressive.

All of these hanging on the wall, help yourself, no sales people lurking or giving me the eye.

I was told that they had a Lloyd Loar F5 and a Couple Gilchrists stashed away in the vault.

There was a Krishot F hanging there that I didn’t get around to playing. I guess I’ll just have to go back again!
    Living’ in the Mitten

Default Re: A trip to Elderly

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    (NFI)

I haven’t been in to Elderly in a while and I stopped in yesterday. Wow. Thought I had died and gone to mando heaven. They had two Ellis Mandos, one with a one-piece back and another blond top with an exquisite two-piece flamed back.

I played a fabulous Northfield guitar body OM. The volume and tone was tremendous. Also a of couple of Northfield F5s there.

Half a dozen teens and twenties Gibson A models and a snakehead hung on the top row.

I also played a Pono guitar body OM that was very good. Not quite as good as the Northfield, but affordable and impressive.

All of these hanging on the wall, help yourself, no sales people lurking or giving me the eye.

I was told that they had a Lloyd Loar F5 and a Couple Gilchrists stashed away in the vault.

There was a Krishot F hanging there that I didn’t get around to playing. I guess I’ll just have to go back again!
    What did you think of the Ellis mandos? I'm starting to do some research on my next purchase and those are near the top of my list of instruments to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoManCaleb View Post
    What did you think of the Ellis mandos? I'm starting to do some research on my next purchase and those are near the top of my list of instruments to check out.
    Can't do any better than an Ellis no matter what the cost ! I feel the same with a Girouard !

Can't wait to stop there next month when we're passing through to FinnFest. Haven't been there in 25 years. Really looking forward to trying out the mandolins. Am setting aside a few hours to make sure instruments can get played.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

===========

I have never had the pleasure of visiting Elderly - but judging from Steve's post, I am quite certain that if I ever did have the chance to go, I would definitely leave the credit card at home!

Many years ago I worked directly across the street from a very nice music store . . . it was a curse and a blessing at the same time. I was in there so often that if I DIDN'T buy something on a very regular basis, my credit card company would call me to make sure that I was still alive!

6. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Stopped at Elderly last fall during our northern travels. Spent several hours playing their used and new mandolin inventory. One in particular Northfield was to my ears heads above their many other mandolins. I loved the feel and tone of this mandolin enough that had it been an A style I would have pulled out my credit and gone home with it, even though I had no initial intent to purchase at that time. Just not in my nature to pay extra for scrolls and points that do nothing for me, otherwise, I would be playing and loving that mandolin to this day.
    It was a great experience to play and compare so many mandolins. A visit is worth the trip and a great experience to be so openly welcomed by the staff. I would highly recommend a trip to Elderly for a mandolin purchase. Particularly true if you know not what you want.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Well, my take is that if you really enjoyed that mandolin, and you thought it worth the money, but it regardless of style. Unless you just dislike the F style look. But maybe that's just me
    Mandolin: Kentucky KM150
    Other instruments: way too many, and yet, not nearly enough.

My blog: https://theoffgridmusician.music.blog/
    My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChF...yWuaTrtB4YORAg
    My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/africanbanjogunnar/
    Free backing tracks:
    https://backingtrackers.wordpress.com/

Yes to the above. You are still talking about that mandolin, when you could have been playing it all this time. You'd have long forgotten the cost.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar View Post
    Well, my take is that if you really enjoyed that mandolin, and you thought it worth the money, but it regardless of style. Unless you just dislike the F style look. But maybe that's just me
    You are right and I do have some regret. But I really am not a fan of the f style look. Just me I guess as many others are willing to drop a few extra grand for the look. No right or wrong, just a preference.
    Kentucky KM-950

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    I have never had the pleasure of visiting Elderly - but judging from Steve's post, I am quite certain that if I ever did have the chance to go, I would definitely leave the credit card at home!

Many years ago I worked directly across the street from a very nice music store . . . it was a curse and a blessing at the same time. I was in there so often that if I DIDN'T buy something on a very regular basis, my credit card company would call me to make sure that I was still alive!
    Take your credit card! I was at Elderly in the late 90's and saw a Rickenbacker electric mando. The price was out of my league at the time, but I've never seen another one. I sure wish I'd have bought it. Debt comes and goes, but music lasts a lifetime.
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

Agreed. Unlike other things in life, a high quality instrument is worth the interest.

13. The following members say thank you to jdchapman for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    You are right and I do have some regret. But I really am not a fan of the f style look. Just me I guess as many others are willing to drop a few extra grand for the look. No right or wrong, just a preference.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ! No doubt F's are more popular than A models and I have both. I prefer to go with the sound however ! Some of the nicest, most personable and hardest working women I know aren't the most pleasing to look at but would make a great wife ! Other beautiful women I know would not be my choice to live with ! So, as with instruments , your choice !

15. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

I’m in the camp of don’t buy it if you can’t afford it. I have had regrets when I passed something up but not as much regret as I would’ve had had I bought it. I was always taught to wait until I could afford something and that time was more opportune for me.

I like the analogy of the women because the most beautiful don’t make the best wives, usually. And I guess the same is true for musical instruments. I would always go with the one that sounds the best and has the best overall qualities and not rely upon the looks of whether it is an A style or an F style. There is something about A style that is cleaner. However I do like the looks of the F style as well. The F style has the advantage of giving you a place to hang your para cord strap.
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DocT View Post
    I’m in the camp of don’t buy it if you can’t afford it. I have had regrets when I passed something up but not as much regret as I would’ve had had I bought it. I was always taught to wait until I could afford something and that time was more opportune for me.
    Me also. Learned in my twenties after having had to make car payments for 3 years to never pay interest on anything except our homes where an opportunity may exist to recover the costs associated with paying interest.
    Off topic. Point of original thread was regarding trip to Elderly. Great place and nice people with enough inventory to keep you busy for several hours. You may or may not leave with a cherished mandolin or maybe some pleasant memories of one you didn’t buy.
    Last edited by Pittsburgh Bill; Aug-11-2019 at 11:15am.
    Kentucky KM-950

===========

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Merlo View Post
    Take your credit card! I was at Elderly in the late 90's and saw a Rickenbacker electric mando. The price was out of my league at the time, but I've never seen another one. I sure wish I'd have bought it. Debt comes and goes, but music lasts a lifetime.
    (laugh) How appropriate - especially since I a definitely a Rickenbacker guy!

Hey! We were there on the same day. My Dad and I go every year on my birthday. I didn't play the Ellis', but fell in love with a '22 Gibson A4. Great selection.

-Matthew