Thread: Trying to find old article: guitarist exploring pick grips

Default Trying to find old article: guitarist exploring pick grips

Somebody linked to a great article here several years ago in which – this may not be totally right – a jazz guitarist (I think a professor?) methodically taught themselves about nine different ways of holding a pick, spending months on each, and then talked about their pros and cons. I haven't had any luck searching the Cafe or greater internet for it. Does anybody remember that and have a name or a link?

Default Re: Trying to find old article: guitarist exploring pick grips

Probably this which i started to read and then i realized it wound't do me any good to try to absorb that much analysis, but i do like the story about spending hours and hours modding picks to get the Benson sound until he finds out that Benson just buys Fender mediums at the store and plays those just as they come out of the bag

https://web.archive.org/web/20160301...nger_tech.html

There's also Cracking the Code: https://www.youtube.com/user/troygrady

(when i lived in SF i'd just go to Subway guitars and ask the English guy anything about guitar technique and he's tell me)
    Last edited by gtani7; Aug-06-2019 at 4:56pm.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gtani7 For This Useful Post:

The Tuck Andress article is quite in depth. He is a very good jazz/fusion fingerstylist. Some of his conclusions are a little suspect. They certainly are not really applicable to bluegrass. He is quite a lot more firm in his conclusions than is justified. I read the article and tried some of his ideas several years ago. I may not have understood them but they hurt my playing a lot more than helped.

I have gotten a lot more value listening and watching people who are primarily pick players. There are a lot of ways of going about it and maybe his approach would work for someone but it did not help me.

Yeah, i think some of the most useful advice I've gotten is "read a little, listen and play a lot, don't get hung up on theory or the RPMs of your ulna and radius"
    Kentucky km900
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Thanks, man! I'm not totally sure this is the same one that I read all that time back (I seem to recall it being in a light gray font on a dark purple background, and to have more info on how long it took him to learn each one), but this one is very interesting and covers a lot of the same areas.

I think David Fiuczynski, Berklee prof, used to have a website like that at torsos.com, but it's not there anymore, e.g. extremely bright fonts on a page describing how to setup fretless guitars. If there's something specific you're looking for, like Benson picking seems to be an obsession for a lot of jazz guys (but impractical on mando) there's lots of threads on jazzguitar.be

https://web.archive.org/web/20070706.../teaching.html
    Kentucky km900